Quantcast

Manitou Travis

WestRider7

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Boise
I am setting up to do a bike build here in a little bit and I just wanted some feedback on the Manitou Travis 150 single . I am going to do a wanna be SX trail set up, burly six inch deal, with a Norco six frame. I get good deals on everything, and I originaly wanted a Fox 36 Van, but I looked up the Travis and I can shave off quite a bit of cost, and it is almost as light as the Fox. I'm sure it has to be a good fork, but I've search around and not much info on it, must be because it is new. Anyone have the scoop on it?

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
I am using the Travis 150 on my 7" travel bike. It is very nice. It will be a great "small" dh fork and trail fork. I still have the stock spring in it which is good for the trails but may need to be a bit stiffer for more Drops and such. For the money and simplicity. Manitou is starting a good come back.

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
my personal opinion on this fork is flex flex flex. Manitou makes a great product but since i have been in the market for a couple of years i see more manitou's going to warranty then any others. I say save a little more cash and go for the fox, i am currently running a talas 36 on my 4 cross and dh 40 on my test bike i am using.
(see the details on that in the freeride area with turner highline) Fox has alot of technology to be traded from offroad, snowmobiles, atvs and off course Mtb. so check out some review on both and make sure you dont rush into it that quikly that is alot of money to spend and no like what you got. One last thing shop around and see what you get for a deal. Try beyondbikes.com and ask for justin and tell him the drizzle sent you here and to see what he can do for you on either fork.

WestRider7

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Boise
By flex and being returned for warranty you mean the steerer bends eventually or something, or it just feels less rigid than a Fox. I couldn't really imagine bending a steerer or stantions on a fork such as this one during normal use, and I'm not racing downhill. I need a fork for the 2-3 Whistler trips per year, the 1-2 trips a month to the shore, every other weekend Galbraith trip and riding the local trails.

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
it is possible to bend steerers, i have done it on a dirt jumper before, the flex thing is when your in tight technical areas it feel like the fork twists on you. for the type of riding you say you are doing go for a fox or the new Marzzochi.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Anybody have any idea whether or not it will be possible to lowerr a 6in Travis? I'd love to get one and bump it down to about 100mm and throw it on my dirtjumper.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
escapeartist said:
Anybody have any idea whether or not it will be possible to lowerr a 6in Travis? I'd love to get one and bump it down to about 100mm and throw it on my dirtjumper.
why not just buy a gold label? the travis would be unnecessarily heavy for a jump bike IMO

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
skurfer333 said:
why not just buy a gold label? the travis would be unnecessarily heavy for a jump bike IMO
The travis has better internals. Its not something that I plan on doing (although I did break my dj3 today :( bui still think it would be pretty cool. I doubt the 6in version weighs much more than my dj3 did.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
drizzle said:
my personal opinion on this fork is flex flex flex.
So you've gotten enough ride time in on this exact fork to claim that it flexes a lot? That seems a little odd to me, seeing as how my Sherman Firefly, which had 32mm stanchions and only 20mm less travel was not noticeably flexy. Neither is my Sherman Breakout +, also with 32 mm stanchions and 170mm of travel. It would seem a newly designed fork with larger stanchions and a new arch would probably be stiffer than previous models...

And then you throwing in there something about warranty issues - I doubt too many of these have been sent back, seeing as not very many people own them yet.

:teacher:

Nov 12, 2004
Go for the travis 150, I took my friend has one and it feels like a dorado. I dunno about the 6 inch fox but the same guy with the travis has a fox 40 on his dh bike and he cracked the arch and put a hole in the lowers.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Dude, for the type of riding you are going to be doing I'd pick up one of the new Marzocchi 66 forks. That is exactly what they are made for. I wouldn't try to get the lightest long travel single crown fork out there if you are riding the Shore and using it at Whistler. That is exactly what the Marzocchi's are designed for.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
escapeartist said:
The travis has better internals. Its not something that I plan on doing (although I did break my dj3 today :( bui still think it would be pretty cool. I doubt the 6in version weighs much more than my dj3 did.
take my bushing

drop ur 66 to 65mm

put it on the identiti

sell the pos bighit (uh-oh here comes the BH lovers beating)

enjoy it and buy a sx trail 2

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
formermtboarder said:
take my bushing

drop ur 66 to 65mm

put it on the identiti

It would save me probably a couple $thousand to just get a new fork for my hardtail.

What is your justification for calling my BigHit a POS? so far the only thing I've heard you say about it is that its heavy and the standovers too high. Standover is a personal preference and its a 7and7 bike with economic parts on it, its gonna be kinda heavy. But.....it handles like a dream, and doesnt feel heavy on the trail or in the air. It is a race and freeride proven design that has been used by thousands of riders around the world for years and years, it comes from the company that does more R&D and testing than any other company on the face of this plannet, and its fairly priced. Please feel free to rebut, but calling a bike a piece of sh!t based on your personal preferences is absolutely rediculous, it shows no thought process whatsoever.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
formermtboarder said:
take my bushing

drop ur 66 to 65mm

put it on the identiti

Dude, what's your problem? The Big Hit is not a POS bike. They are pretty sweet bikes that can take some serious abuse. That is like someone calling my Bullit an antique which happed a few days ago. These bikes are tried and true and there are probably more Big Hits and Bullits out there putting smiles on riders faces than any other bikes. You don't have to be riding the latest and greatest marketing hyped up bike to get the job done.