Quantcast

Manual

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Pull up, lean back and find the "sweet spot". Practicing on a downslope helps too. Check out Youtube and watch others to get a feel.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm in the same situation as markhammond77, except for the fact i can't really do other tricks (tear down cheek). i've found that the best way to practice is just to go out into a col de sac or parking lot and focus on keeping your knees bent while attempting manuals. my problem has been that i automatically straighten my legs when i feel uncomfortable, so it ruins my manual when i could just correct it with some slight hip movement.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I posted this on my old account a while ago somewhere else......

Here's the manual low down... Before you even try to manual, learn to wheelie, just get to the point where you can wheelie 50-60 feet. After that, here is how you manual.

First I would recommend finding a small bump (about 2 inches high) and start attempting to pull up that front end and keep it there. Once you get accustomed to it, you have to practice pulling back and kicking out with your legs. Make a subtle movement, don't kick your hardest, and DO NOT PULL THE BARS INTO YOUR CHEST. That is what kept me from doing it for a long while. When I was learning, I barely held onto my handle bars.

The slower you move the harder you have to kick and the more often you have to kick. If you go walking speed, you have to kick hard. If you go faster, it's easier to learn, so go about 2-3 times walking speed. When kicking to keep the front up, remember, it is all in the knees. You barely need to use your elbows or arms for anything. Notice: On some movies, you even see people manual 1 handed, which basically means they don't even use their arms except to hold on.

So... you need to lean back, pull back and up, and make little kicks with your legs. Don't make fast kicks, make them spaced apart about 2-6 seconds apart. Some people do manuals with brakes to prevent them from flipping, me, I manual brakeless. I find it easer, because I have disc brakes, and my brakes pull my tire to the ground. (Maybe my brake controll is horrible) The key to manualing is form, staying relaxed, finding your balance point, and learning how to kick properly. Where your cranks meet your bike is where you want to put your weight.

4 key helper tips: Find a long flat spot, like a parking lot. I have a lot of long flat streets around me.

If you fall back, don't be affraid, your bodies tendency is to land back on your feet.

Your butt should be back by your tire.

Manualing down a slight angle or hill is always easier than manualing uphill. I dont know why, it is just the way it works for everyone.

Hope I helped...

:cheers:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
reminds me of the other day at whistler...watching like 5 guys right after one another come down a side hill out of crank it up and manualling across the park.

Made me wish I could do that :-/

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
That diagram sucks as far as ass position is concerned. If you don't want to believe me, fine but please at least try once to GET YOUR ASS WAY BACK, AND WAY LOW. I've taught/advised at least 3 friends to manual and the low ass position is key, but no one ever listens. Once you get that done, you'll be set.

GuettoBlaster

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Ghetto...of course
if you have straight nice wheels...to me it feels like it helps a lot...if a have a slitly bend on my wheels...makes so much harder ...i can willie for miles...but i can manual for sh*t...and i use my brakes when i willie...ain't that funny?

FreerideHI

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
Waimanalo,Hawaii
also, the higher your front tire goes, the farther back your butt has to be over the rear tire. try it on a hardtail if you can too, the "sweet spot" will be easier to find without the rear bouncing around from suspension.