Quantcast

marathon s or fox 125r?

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
any ideas? This will be going on my new rm blizzard. I would switch 125 to 80 or 100 depending on which felt better...I personally like a precise tracking xc bike i.e. steeper h.a.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by diesel
any ideas? This will be going on my new rm blizzard. I would switch 125 to 80 or 100 depending on which felt better...I personally like a precise tracking xc bike i.e. steeper h.a.
if you like steeper H.A why do you even consider going to 125 , I am not sure how a 125mm fork would feel on a blizzard.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
not to be a dick but "I would switch 125 to 80 or 100 depending on which felt better"...yea...so seriously, assuming both were around 80 which is the better all-around fork? the cost difference is only about 30-40$ (fox high).

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by diesel
not to be a dick but "I would switch 125 to 80 or 100 depending on which felt better"...yea...so seriously, assuming both were around 80 which is the better all-around fork? the cost difference is only about 30-40$ (fox high).
well I highly regard fox fork, they are plush, reliable and very stiff.

They just feels great.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I'm statisfied with my Marathon S on my Blur, and the ETA is a slick feature. But it don't go up to no dang 125mm, dat's fo sho. Something else to consider: I bought the Zoke because I couldn't afford the Fox. What does that say? But, just to fan the flames, if I had the money now, I'd get a Minute.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
You bring up a good point...On days where I wanted to ride more down than up I could set the fox at 125 or 100 and ride at 80 for most normal days. I dont have that option with the marathon. hmmm...

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
The travle adjusting is done inside, so you will have to decide where you are going first then figure in the travel settings. A Fox Talas will be better for that, but I myself would rather have a coil fork. The Minute does this, now you got me thinking.
I need to get a fork for my Kona Bear frame, so Im also looking at all options as you.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
sometjing to note with the fox fork is that changing the travel does not change the axel to crown length, so you might aswell leave it in the 125 setting. we discovered that a rubber bumper placed above the dummy rod in the spring side can lower the axel to crown hight but i'm sure it doesn't help your warranty.

(this is all based on a Vanilla RLC 125)

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Originally posted by CTR
sometjing to note with the fox fork is that changing the travel does not change the axel to crown length, so you might aswell leave it in the 125 setting. we discovered that a rubber bumper placed above the dummy rod in the spring side can lower the axel to crown hight but i'm sure it doesn't help your warranty.

(this is all based on a Vanilla RLC 125)
I have a Vanilla 125 R and when I took out the spacer it did lower the axle to crown height. But either way it is a sweet fork and works flawlessly. I acctually have one to sell. If you're interested hit me a pm.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
I have a Vanilla 125RL on my On-One Inbred and one of my riding mates has a Marathon S on his Shwinn Moab.

I prefer the fox vanilla, it seems stiffer, and more controlled.

Between the two, I'd choose according with the type of riding you plan to do, the marathon is lighter and the ETA is an useful feature, whereas the vanilla is heavier but seems more controlled and robust.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Between the two suggested I'd go Fox. You have the option to change the travel although that is a shop job ie not on the trail. It does change the ride height. The stanchions are 32mm on the Fox and the bushing overlap is greater I think which leads to a more precise steering fork. I noticed the difference going from a Psylo race to a TALAS and I'm only 140#s.

But now that I've been riding the Manitou Minute 2, I'd recommend a fork that has SPV or something like that. I believe all of the new Fox Forx will have Pro Pedal which is Fox's version of stable platform valving. I like how it keeps the ride height higher so there's more travel available when you need it. It dives less cornering and braking so the bike handles more consistently. I find the Minute is plenty stiff for my weight and riding style. Mines the 100mm travel version but it comes at 125 too. Mine is air sprung but the 1 is coil and has rapid travel wind down for on the trail travel changes. The 3 has two travel settings but I'm not sure if its coil or air. I think its air. NO plastic on the Minute that I can see but I haven't dismantled it yet. I'm quite impressed with the new Manitou stuff. I think they've really stepped up to the plate with the new offerings.