Quantcast

Maribor World Cup Live

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I dunno, I've been there and ridden the track and I'm not convinced rain would make much difference there unless it's been raining for a couple of weeks!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I dunno, I've been there and ridden the track and I'm not convinced rain would make much difference there unless it's been raining for a couple of weeks!
as have i

but at 30+ mph average speed for the top guys on a track that is 95% in the trees and covered in roots it will make a huge difference if there is any moisture

2 years ago the first dy of practice was damp and the slightest miscalculation would cost you a ton of time. (in fact most of us ran cut spikes the whole weekend that year)

i think the speed is what makes maribor so hard. no pedaling and it is flat out... if you blow a section or a corner or loose the flow you have no chance to make it back.

for those reasons it is a very very hard race track to have a clean and fast run on

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
id have to move #5 up one place and then i would agree with what you said.
LoL - finally something we both agree on.

...but Colbert shaved his head so that's 50g off the total system weight of bike and rider... it's only reason I gave him 4th over Chuck Norris but behind Chuck Norris.

:biggrin:

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
About the track...this year there is no fast part on the meadow out of the first woods (so therefore no fast left berm and a bit less "resting"). It will go straight across to the left side woods and then a bit out again towards the last years right berm that leads to rocks. Than it's the same towards Rock'n'Roll and to the finish. So a bit more techical due to the new part, but still fast.
There were ideas to slow the track, especially rocks down a bit, but it's not gonna happen this year. Those who have ridden it know it's super fast and therefore dangerous especially on rocks (Rock'n'Roll), which were way slower in 1999-2002. The speeds nowdays are insane...
Oh, and rain is coming on saturday...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I couldn't believe how fast the track was when I got on it the day after the World Cup.

The problem I had as well was that all of the pads & tape had been taken down. Combine that with the hardpack & dust (no very obvious worn line to catch your eye) & patchy sunlight coming through the trees and I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to be going at pace, even though I'd been watching the race all weekend! I think my first run down was 4min30 or something, quite a way off the (IIRC) ~3min winning time :D

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Well, back to WC circuit...In my opinion if Sam doesn't crash(naturaly), he can make 4 wins in a row.
Maribor, MSA(still Minnaar favourite...but), Bromont and Schladming.

Sure...Hill still in the game.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I couldn't believe how fast the track was when I got on it the day after the World Cup.

The problem I had as well was that all of the pads & tape had been taken down. Combine that with the hardpack & dust (no very obvious worn line to catch your eye) & patchy sunlight coming through the trees and I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to be going at pace, even though I'd been watching the race all weekend! I think my first run down was 4min30 or something, quite a way off the (IIRC) ~3min winning time :D
About the track...this year there is no fast part on the meadow out of the first woods (so therefore no fast left berm and a bit less "resting"). It will go straight across to the left side woods and then a bit out again towards the last years right berm that leads to rocks. Than it's the same towards Rock'n'Roll and to the finish. So a bit more techical due to the new part, but still fast.
There were ideas to slow the track, especially rocks down a bit, but it's not gonna happen this year. Those who have ridden it know it's super fast and therefore dangerous especially on rocks (Rock'n'Roll), which were way slower in 1999-2002. The speeds nowdays are insane...
Oh, and rain is coming on saturday...
Too bad about the fast berm. I really liked it. It was a really nice feature. I think one of the defining ones of the track but I still belive it's rad.

-Seb Yeah, I know what you mean. I was completely lost there too. Ended up stopping almost every run to see where I was going (not that my fitness levels recently alow me not to stop on WC courses :P )

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Is the jump enforced this time, as last year they were all just sprinting around it. The pumpy/whoopy section before the rock garden was sweet, love that sort of terrain.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Rennie did indeed go home after willingen, I was travelling with them there from Ft Bill, and spent the week with them at Wheels of Speed. The Beast is off to train and recover from some nagging injuries in order to do well at worlds at home. He needs a break to get things in order, so wish him luck. It'll be rad if he can throw down at worlds.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Rennie did indeed go home after willingen, I was travelling with them there from Ft Bill, and spent the week with them at Wheels of Speed. The Beast is off to DRINK AND EAT in order to do well at worlds at home. He needs a break to get things in order, so wish him luck. It'll be rad if he can throw down at worlds.
Fixed

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Joined my teamrider Espen J. (Nor) down to Maribor to watch the WC and to get some riding done in the fine trails in Maribor.
We´ve been blessed with awesome wether (sunny and 30C today) and good riding. The terrain is awesome. Steep with lots of trees, meaning roots and bumps all over. Lota fun!

As the weather forcast for Saturday looks like heavy rain, this can be an pretty interesting race for sure :)

Here´s some pics of the track walk we did yesterday. (Looks pretty flat, but I can assure you it´s not!)

Welcome

Roots up top. Fist turn in the woods.

One of the new berms

More rooooots

The doubles into the rock garden

Top of rock garden

Middle section of rock garden

Middle section of rock garden from below. (Pretty big rocks eh?)

Left line in the middle section in the rock garden

Lower part of rock garden (Where Miami crashed last year I think?)

It´s not gonna be easier dureing the day. The loose rocks are locked in place

More later.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Man that pics make me miss Maribor so much. Had the best time of the last season in that place. The rootyness of that mountain is amazing.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
For the tape. Pics taken yesterday before they finished the taping.
Took more pics today. Will post them tomorrow. Need sleep.
You ruined it. I always though it was so fallen bikers can fight off the raptor. Yet it seemed strange there were no raptors when there were no comps there...

huntandride

Chimp
Feb 16, 2009
Reno
I'm looking forward to watching this one live on FreeCaster, since it'll be my first i actually watch live. I have a question though: Do you need to start it at the beginning to tap into the live? Last time i tried to start watching half way through and couldnt get it to connect. Freecaster just said like 2200 days till Fort William.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
So, a total of 239 guys racing DH at Maribor, including 10 Americans. Yet, 4X is supposed to be the sport to attract the riders and the participation numbers yet there are only 104 guys registered for that (at least they'll actually "qualify" and not just have seeding for the finals). There are zero Americans racing 4X. So much for that theory that we need 4X races in the States to increase our experience for racing overseas...

-ska todd

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
I'm looking forward to watching this one live on FreeCaster, since it'll be my first i actually watch live. I have a question though: Do you need to start it at the beginning to tap into the live? Last time i tried to start watching half way through and couldnt get it to connect. Freecaster just said like 2200 days till Fort William.
Or even better, watch it here on Ridemonkey!

http://ridemonkey.com/index.php?page=livebroadcast