Quantcast

Marz 888WC RC3 09 - half travel..

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Anyone come across this? Got hard springs, im borderline at 15st, but cant get them past 15% sag and 50% travel.

Anyone else got hard springs? What weight are you and can you set them up?

Gonna drop the oil i reckon an see what heights we got.

Anyone come across this before? Windwave have no clue as to what it can be.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Could be a lack of terrain? Sherwood Pines = Gnarnia?
Try riding faster.

My wife only uses half of her 66s travel, so you are in good company.

Edit: OK helpful advice - If you are borderline for the hard springs, take them out (and use the stockers obviously) at least until you get to the Alps or Canada. Deal with the (now possibly very regular) bottoming with oil height, air gap, and compression management.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how much do you weigh? im assuming by "hard springs" you mean the firm spring right? those are typically meant for heavier riders

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Yeah firm I weigh 15 stone whatever that is in lbs. I'm borderline med firm, marz said go firm. But even tryin to force them thru travel it's not happenin

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
15 stone = 210 pounds

If you are borderline, go with the lighter springs. I have always run one weight down from what Marzocchi says to. Also if its a new fork it may need to break in first.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah firm I weigh 15 stone whatever that is in lbs. I'm borderline med firm, marz said go firm. But even tryin to force them thru travel it's not happenin
if you are borderline, then you should go down in spring weight...especially if you cant even get more than half travel outa the fork

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Is there a chance that there is too much oil in the fork? Sometimes people/shops forget to drain the cart during the oil change. You end up with whatever amount of oil you are supposed to have plus the oil inside the cart body.... which is waaay too much oil to get full travel.

Remove both springs and try to bottom the fork, you'll gain volume by removing the springs but it still should be apparent if the oil is too high. Has it been rebuilt lately? I've also heard of some Marzy forks coming with too much oil straight from North Korea where they are made.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Is there a chance that there is too much oil in the fork? Sometimes people/shops forget to drain the cart during the oil change. You end up with whatever amount of oil you are supposed to have plus the oil inside the cart body.... which is waaay too much oil to get full travel.

Remove both springs and try to bottom the fork, you'll gain volume by removing the springs but it still should be apparent if the oil is too high. Has it been rebuilt lately? I've also heard of some Marzy forks coming with too much oil straight from North Korea where they are made.
No wonder Marzocchi has been having problems. N. Korea hates us so they are sabotaging all the forks.;)

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch

I don't know about every fork out there, but I know my zochi' instructs you first to bleed (aka: fill) the cartridge with oil, then continue to fill the stanchion to the proper level without the spring in the oil. For me, that's 80mm from the top.

Again, it might differ on the newer 888's or 66's or something, but I kind of doubt that.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
These are brand spankin, im gonna drop the oil tmrw and do it via volume.
Brand new zoke product = too much oil. pop the top caps, remove the springs, and for your size, go about 90mm from the top when fully compressed.

Run one hard spring, one medium. Should be what it came with. Another cool trick, if it has the air assist<15PSI Max> is to remove the core, push the fork down about an inch and a half, and put the core in<effectivly making negative pressure>.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
888's have only had 1 spring since 2008 and it is in the other leg to the damper. But check both sides anyway as they should both have the same amount of oil (310cc).

Is the red dial wound all the way anti clockwise? And is the compression knob wound on at all?

90mm from the top seems a bit high but I always fill them up by volume so I'm not 100% sure on that