Quantcast

Marz recalls some 2008 888RC3 and 888RC3WC forks

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Bicycle Forks

Units: About 70

Manufacturer: Tenneco-Marzocchi s.r.l., of Bologna, Italy

Hazard: The suspension system on bikes with the recalled forks could become completely compressed and fail to return to its original position after a forceful landing. This can cause riders to lose control of the bicycle and crash. The forks can also expand forcefully if repair is attempted by the consumer, posing a risk of serious injury.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has eight reports of damaged forks outside the U.S., including a report of an injury from a fall.

Description: The recalled bicycle forks were sold for installation on mountain bikes. The recall involves certain 2008 model year 888RC3 and 888RC3WC suspensions with date codes beginning with T07D07, T07D08 and T07D09. The forks are white or black with red and black artwork on the legs.

Sold at: Various bicycle parts distributors and retailers nationwide from July 2007 through September 2007 for between $1,000 and $1,700.

Manufactured in: Taiwan

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled bicycle forks immediately, and return them to the dealer where purchased for a free repair. Consumers should not attempt to repair the forks.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Marzocchi at (800) 227-5579 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, e-mail the firm at Techinfo@Marzocchiusa.com, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.marzocchi.com

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09125.html

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Im not cool, I'm old fashion

I figured you wanted to copy my choice in a DH fork since you already copied my avitar choice.

Last edited:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i WAS a die hard Marz user, 2005 and 06 888's were pimp. then the 07 came out and all the air forks died. Marz supposedly fixed them and they still died. Its a shame marz cant live up to their legend

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Zoke air forks are about the easiest damn things to work on. If I'm putting my mind to it and have an impact wrench handy, I can get the ATA side completely rebuilt in about 5 minutes flat. Give it a good buttering up and you're typically good for quite a while.

I always think it's pertinent to know how to work on your own gear, and an air fork is no exception. As easy as it is, there's really no excuse for not being able to service it 100%.

That said, I have yet to see any other air DH forks that are any more reliable.

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I dont think it takes me more than 5 min to overhaul my 888ATA spring either. And i dont need an impact wrench to do it. The only problem is that after a rebuild the fork is still a POS. Basically (sp?) all the 888s up to and including 07 is great forks, but the newer offerings and especially the air-forks from marz suck balls.

Rant over. (I have ordered the boxxer team, and am currently in denial about the last two seasons on my 888ATA)

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
if you think the 888air is a POS then idk what you've been smoking on. You could complain that it isn't the lightest or pedal friendly but when it comes to absorbing hits it's awesome. I'm personally not a boxxer fan i've seen them blow up and piss oil at a stupid high rate. One time i even saw a stanchion that had snapped clean all the way around while in the lower (explain that one!?) plus if you ever have a problem the people at zocchi have (at least to me) always been more then helpful and professional

I dont think it takes me more than 5 min to overhaul my 888ATA spring either. And i dont need an impact wrench to do it. The only problem is that after a rebuild the fork is still a POS. Basically (sp?) all the 888s up to and including 07 is great forks, but the newer offerings and especially the air-forks from marz suck balls.

Rant over. (I have ordered the boxxer team, and am currently in denial about the last two seasons on my 888ATA)
I wasted almost a whole season on an 07 ATA, tried everything, never worked well.
Too bad for Zoke, 06 and prior the 888 was the fork you bought if you wanted something that was going to work well without constant maintenance.
Now there the opposite.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
three times in for service in a span of 3 months isnt too reliable in my eye.
thankfully, the guys at marz at awesome and were able to get my fork back to me super fast as well as pay for shipping to and from them.
i guess the third time is the charm for repairs right?

its a great fork when it performs right

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Well if you rebuild anything wrong of course it'll be a POS....
I have worked two and a half year as a mechanic in a bike shop, (head mech for the last year) and have rebuilt\modified a ton of forks most of them zokes during that time. So i know perfectly well how to service\rebuild a fork. Anyway; the ATA is so easy to rebuild that you wuold have to be a moron to f**k it up. The problem with the ATA is that they took a good chassi with a pretty nice damper, and then threw in a poorly designed air spring witch(sp?) needed modifications to reach full travel and not wind down.

I apologise if i sound overly agressive, english is not my first language. Oh and it looks like the par is gone in the 09 888?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not sure if they got rid of the PAR chamber for 09, I know there had been a lot of problems with the seal seperating the two chambers in 08 causing air to leak between the two (resulting in the same amt of air in each chamber) but I'm not positive wat's up for 09....

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So, how many more races will you conveniently "miss" due to this fabulous for ya gots there? :busted: Dude, my wife's 2004 Sherman Slider is more predictable than that!
ouch...well since the last time that they had my fork, its been great. ive mentioned before that the problem with my ATA cartridge was that the tolerances were off which caused the fork to stay down 6" in its travel and not rebound all the way out. the put a new "redesigned" one in since then
since the new one is in, its been t!ts

and i was at those races...i just rode my freeride bike and took pictures

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Zoke air forks are about the easiest damn things to work on. If I'm putting my mind to it and have an impact wrench handy, I can get the ATA side completely rebuilt in about 5 minutes flat. Give it a good buttering up and you're typically good for quite a while.
True, I watched him do it this weekend.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

I always think it's pertinent to know how to work on your own gear, and an air fork is no exception. As easy as it is, there's really no excuse for not being able to service it 100%.

I totally agree with this and have fixed my girlfriend's stuck down 66 several times. The only problem is the tolerances inside the fork are terrible, and the damn thing kept doing it. I can understand if this sort of thing happened every now and under harsh conditions, but I shouldn't have to worry about a 180mm "freeride" fork ridden by a 140lb girl every time we go for a ride.

She should get her fork back next week, we'll see if there's any improvement.

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Still has the PAR for '08 and '09. Just works the way it's supposed to now.
Knew they had it in 08, but didnt see it mentioned in the 09 specs, so i thought they ditched it. Oh, and it didnt work all that well in 08 either. Better, but no cigar.

edit: the guys i know of with par trouble in 08 where on 66s and not 888s. Still not getting full travel.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Knew they had it in 08, but didnt see it mentioned in the 09 specs, so i thought they ditched it. Oh, and it didnt work all that well in 08 either. Better, but no cigar.
i believe its the same fork from 2008. they didnt change anything for '09 except for some graphics

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
i believe its the same fork from 2008. they didnt change anything for '09 except for some graphics
I see. Well they have probably worked out the kinks by now. Serves me right for bying a first year product. Oh wait, this year im doing it again....... At least im not going air this time :bonk:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
String to adjust a seperator piston in a damper = :crazy:

For 09, shorter travel forks with ATA2 have no PAR. All the longer forks (with ATA) still have the PAR.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
interesting recall.

do they fix the old fork or give you a complete new fork?

for the record, i have an 08 888 RC3 and an 07 66 ATA...both forks with notorious issues. i must've gotten the good batch, because both forks work and feel awesome. and they have been ridden year round, since the purchase.

but now i'm all uneasy, with the recall.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
08 66RC3 been beating the crud out of it! No problems at all, no play and no sticking. HARD flat landings, nasty rock gardens, racing, etc.. Havent even changed the oil and NO ISSUES!

Boxxer wc - overshot the ladder drop to flat and the c-clip popped off the upper shaft in the air side allowing it to wallow in its travel. Thankfully it rode fine, I let the air out to pull the lowers and the lack of pressure allowed the shaft to fall through. So it had an issue that was noticed when servicing! (that could have gone badly!)

Still like both forks, the marz has proven to be bullit proof and the boxxer is a race mainly fork that can take a pretty good beating!
Either way all forks have isseus to some degree!
Fox lowers, boxxer archs cracked, manitou well enough said on that one, stratos S8s stressed the tubes to distort, boxxer and fox seals, shiver seals, one had a clunking issue etc..... Thats just what I know of in 4 years of being around and seen come about!

So I think in all fairness yes Marz had issues but with the limelight on them it should make for less issues. Besides last year was the first ear of 38mm stanchions so there were some issues as well as manufacturing went a different direction over seas.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That snap ring did not come off while riding. Your fork would have collapsed (never rebounded) at that time if that was what happened.

Somehow you dislodged the snap ring while removing your lowers. Do you yank them (lowers) off the shafts or use a soft faced mallet to tap the foot bolts to break them loose?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I'm with davep, I've run 10-12 boxxers over the last 3 years, and none have had the circlip come off. Either it was installed improperly (possible seeing as it was a second hand fork), or dislodged during service.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I unscrewed them just enough to keep them in the threads and tap it out with no pulling on the lowers.

Yeah Im not a brute when tuning or messing with stuff, Im not a total firm believer in the get a bigger hammer theory when working on stuff like this! Well maybe to nock the shafts lose but thats about it! :thumb:

I know for fact that I did not tote on the lowers to remove, any ideas??
C-clip is straight, no bends or twists in it and it fits like a glove in the groove!
It did it only when I releived the pressure off the air cartridge.

As long as I got Davep and Udis attention! Quick ?????
I dont know that i want to restack the boxxer, and in not doing so should I use a lighter weight oil in the lowers or air/motion side. I know its 15wt lowers and 5 uppers is there a better suited weight??? I keep hearing the stuff about spiking, so far its been great but come next month I want it to be dialed so I can really hammer it hard to get it ready for the season!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
No help here on the damper side, but the oil wt's on the air spring side are just for lubing purposes, I'd just go with the recommended 15wt.