Quantcast

Marzocchi 4X World Cup any reviews?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

Just thinking about replacing the fork on my P1 (it's a single crown shiver) for something more traditional. It just has to be 20mm and 100-120mm worth of travel. I was looking at the Marzocchi 4X World Cup as it's on Ebay usually pretty decently priced. Just wondering if anyone has any ride time on one?

Just curious,
Chris

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Hey guys,

Just thinking about replacing the fork on my P1 (it's a single crown shiver) for something more traditional. It just has to be 20mm and 100-120mm worth of travel. I was looking at the Marzocchi 4X World Cup as it's on Ebay usually pretty decently priced. Just wondering if anyone has any ride time on one?

Just curious,
Chris
I have some exsperince with this fork , stock it's a good rack fork but really NOT intended for jumping . If you come up short you will destroy this fork , it's jsut not designed for everyday dirt jumping it's a race fork .

Now I do use mine on my skate park bike , but it has been lowered to 65mm , and I also dont break parts that regulary so I'm not too worried about it .

Overall great product for the money

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I have some exsperince with this fork , stock it's a good rack fork but really NOT intended for jumping . If you come up short you will destroy this fork , it's jsut not designed for everyday dirt jumping it's a race fork .

Now I do use mine on my skate park bike , but it has been lowered to 65mm , and I also dont break parts that regulary so I'm not too worried about it .

Overall great product for the money
Do you guys offer tuning service for the 4X outside of the lowering? I'm thinking of buying one and want to keep the travel at 110mm.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Well........that I want/need is a 100-130mm fork but it has to be 20mm.....and that will take some DJ type stuff but more so just regular all out riding. I thought about a Talas 36 but those are still pretty expensive. I don't care much about the adjustments........just the P1 seems to like the 100-120mm settings more so than a 130mm fork. I had a Minute 1:00 on there that had the rapid wind down and the bike rocked at the 110-120mm settings. So the shiver was a good match as it's only 120mm but wanted something more conventional......and updated a little bit.

I've never been hard on forks (or any bike part besides rims) so I wouldn't be worried about breaking it or anything, but don't want to get something that's not ment for what I'd like to do with it.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Do you guys offer tuning service for the 4X outside of the lowering? I'm thinking of buying one and want to keep the travel at 110mm.
Yes we can do a standard tune and leave the travel at 110mm
or you have the option of going to a full air version of the 4x .

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
friend of myne has a 4x on his planet x hardtail and its a super nice feeling fork, hes a small guy and he dirtjumps it so hes not really worried about it breaking

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
The Nemisis site is not working.........what sort of "tune" can you do to the 4x to make it work as a 100-120mm trail/DJ/all around fork?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
The Nemisis site is not working.........what sort of "tune" can you do to the 4x to make it work as a 100-120mm trail/DJ/all around fork?
Well the 4x stock is 110mm , so to leanghten the travel to 120mm would require all new internals .
Spunger you would be better off getting of our our 06 Z-1 sports in 120mm tuned , you will get better performance out of the Z-1 and it can handle the longer travel .

On all our tuned we completly polish all internal moving parts , install new marzocchi extended negitive spring , install our propritary travel reduction kit which consists of a titanium high speed compression sleeve and fluted spring seat washer .

This kit adds a second rate damping curve to the fork and allows it to adapt to more agressive rideing .

We also offer a full air version of the 4x with a straigh rate air cartrige in one leg and a tuned doppio air cartrige in the other leg.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
We also offer a full air version of the 4x with a straigh rate air cartrige in one leg and a tuned doppio air cartrige in the other leg.
Sounds nice. I absolutely hate so sound like a damn weight weenie, but, how much lighter is this custom air 4x? I assume it could be set around 80 mm of travel if wanted??? I'm still researching a fork for my DS bike...

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Sounds nice. I absolutely hate so sound like a damn weight weenie, but, how much lighter is this custom air 4x? I assume it could be set around 80 mm of travel if wanted??? I'm still researching a fork for my DS bike...
About 1/4lb lighter , it removes the coil spring entirely and the fork also runs a bit less oil , overall the tuned all air 4x weighs in a just under 4lbs .

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
That's pretty darn good. The zocchi's tend to run a bit tall in the overall A-C measurment for a given travel, correct? For example, a 4x set at 80mm would have a larger A-C than say a jumper or pike at 80mm???

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
That's pretty darn good. The zocchi's tend to run a bit tall in the overall A-C measurment for a given travel, correct? For example, a 4x set at 80mm would have a larger A-C than say a jumper or pike at 80mm???
I'm not 100% sure with the new crown and lower's of the 4x , I'd bet to say at the same travel height there both going to be within less than 5mm of each other on the axle to crown .

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i love my 4x its tits, so tits infact im getting another for my other bike but in all air. it feels great and is light for what it is

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Sorry to dig this up but had a quick ? on the fork.

Right now my Shiver SC has just preload and rebound adjust which is fine. I can't tell with Marzocchi's lingo if this fork (the 4x) has the same features? That's all I really need is the ability to set rebound and if oil height determines progressiveness then that's fine as well.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's got RV damping, so preload and rebound. The rebound circuit controlls compression too if I'm not mistaken. As usual oil height dictates progressiveness.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I have been on a Nemesis Project Tuned 4X WC ('07 Coil version) for a little while now. It is set at 72mm of travel and is amazing. Broke in incredibly well, is really smooth, stiff, and responsive. I have it on my Dobermann Pinscher and could not be more pleased. The bike will be primarily for street and jumping but will also see time being raced dual or 4X.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
so comin up short on sum jumps is gonna destroy a 4x, really? how? thin lowers?
No not thing lowers just overall a lighter fork intended for "racing"

I don't suggest this fork fork people who are hard on forks or rip it up on a daily basis , IE: hard landing all day everyday 365days a week!
It's not the fork I'd suggest for beating on .
Something along the lines of a FOX36 or a lowered Marzocchi 55 is better for bigger riders who consistently rip and ride hard .

Now that being said this years offerings from marzocchi like the DJ-1 and new 4X all share the lighter crown and aluminum stanchions.
Both great forks for the majority of us who ride our bikes like normal humans , not superhearos .

That's all I was really saying .
BTW: if this says anything my new 08 4x is holding up great !
I have seen some people twist the new DJ-1 thought poster_oops:

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
It is definitely a little lighter than some of the other options, but thats one of the reasons that I really like it. I have beat on mine for about 20 hours now and its going strong. Now that's not to say that repeated botched landings to flat are going to be great for it, but I really feel that it could stand up to some abuse. Again, I have the coil version from last year if that means anything to you guys.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
The new 4xs are 100% all air

If you already have the fork we can "tune " them for $125+ shipping
how does a 100% air fork compare with spring/coil as far as skatepark and street riding ? seems like people are saying you want there to be a stiff spring feel. but does a 100% air fork pumped up to the right pressure still give you the same effect ?

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
when i was getting my fork hooked up by nemesis, i was told that all air is no way stiff enough for park/street. so i went w coil.

So will an 07' Marz. 4x hold up to DS, 4X, and trail riding for someone 200lbs? I'm not the smoothest rider, but I usually find the tranny. I won't be freeriding or DH ing on it as i have other bikes for that. Anyone know the spring rate suggested for someone 200 lbs?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
So will an 07' Marz. 4x hold up to DS, 4X, and trail riding for someone 200lbs? I'm not the smoothest rider, but I usually find the tranny. I won't be freeriding or DH ing on it as i have other bikes for that. Anyone know the spring rate suggested for someone 200 lbs?
Yea you will be totally fine , for racing 4x and light slopestyle .
No worries there

UPDATE: My new 08 4x is the sweetest for i have ever ridden .
I guess I dont put too much thought into it , but i havent done anything to this fork since september when i installed it on my Secret Agent .
I ride this bike every day and the fork has been perfectly consistant since day 1 .
the new 08 HSCV DJ cart is stiff enought fork street and park and I only run 5 psi in my oppsite leg to help with the rebound other than that all my preload is handled via the HSCV cart

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
Well the 4x stock is 110mm , so to leanghten the travel to 120mm would require all new internals .
Spunger you would be better off getting of our our 06 Z-1 sports in 120mm tuned , you will get better performance out of the Z-1 and it can handle the longer travel .

On all our tuned we completly polish all internal moving parts , install new marzocchi extended negitive spring , install our propritary travel reduction kit which consists of a titanium high speed compression sleeve and fluted spring seat washer .

This kit adds a second rate damping curve to the fork and allows it to adapt to more agressive rideing .

Are you still avail. to rebuild/ tune my 07 WC? I just found this discussion & AM VERY interested in getting mine "fixed". Rebound is almost nonexistent & it tops out which I hate following any & all strokes of compression. Can you help? Thanks.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i thought the 4X was 100mm travel?

thee are the specs from Marz's site:

- 100mm Travel
- RC3 (Air Preload, Rebound & Hi-Lo Auto Compression Adj)
- Air
- Alloy Steer Tube
- 32mm Alloy Stanchions
- 20mm Axle
- 6” Post Mount (Max Disc 8”)

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
if you're unsure, release all the air completely (both sides), put a ziptie on a stantion & compress FULLY. Measure the distance from the dust seal to the ziptie & you will have your answer no matter what anyone tells you.

Cutters

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
Everett, WA
What is the proper set-up on the new 09 4X. The owners manual is not very helpful. I'm about 185 lbs. Not really sure how much air to put in each leg? Looking for any set-up tips.