Quantcast

marzocchi problems...

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
Ok, here's the deal:

About a month ago, i sent my '02 super t back to marz. through a local bike shop to be rebuilt. A couple of weeks later, when they had taken it apart, they called the lbs and told them that the rebuild was pointless because i had ovalized the lowers (m-arch) and cracked both of the lower part of the stanchions... and the fork is pretty much broken. They said that they'd give me a deal on a new fork since i broke the last one ($450 for a new jr. t, or $650 for an 888VF, and maybe a shiver for a little more that the 888VF).

I delayed for a while because i wasgoing out of town and marz. said that they'd hold my super t for a while. Plus, i didn't have any money at all, and i wasn't sure about the 888VF.

So, i went to the shop the other day and told them to go ahead and see if they can get me a shiver because i really wanted the HSCV damping and i've always loved the shiver... about 3 minutes ago, a guy from the shop called me and told me that he had just got off the phone with marzocchi and that they only made 100 shivers this year, and they have no more... and the guy from the shop went ahead and ordered me the 888VF.

So, what i really want to know, is how the SSVF damping works in the 888? I have the SSVF in my dirt jumper, and it works fine for DJs and street, but i don't know about DH. I've heard alot of bad things about it, but i want to hear from some people that have actually had some time on this fork, and not just guessing of performance based on earlier forks with SSVF. I was going to start racing this year and i was planning on my first race in a little over two weeks

OR, should i call back and see if they'll change my order to the 888RC? Even though i'll still be horribly in debt with the VF or [would have been] the shiver. I'd have get the 888 put in the 7 inch position because it's going on a bullit.

OR, should i boycott Marz. for discontinuing the shiver?

Please give your opinion and help me out!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Get the RC and go into a little debt. Life is too short for bad damping.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
ncrider said:
:stupid: Exactly, pay a little extra and get exponetially better performance.
Hmmm, "exponentially" I always liked that word :thumb: Conrad, the vocab man :D

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
another problem is that my bike is extremely ghetto right now, and i have other things to fix. i need a new derailleur, chain, BB, shifter, chainguide (maybe), and front wheel (eventually)... and if i spend the extra couple of hundred, the my bike won't pedal for a few more weeks. my hardtail is for sale, but that's taken into account for paying for the fork...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Sell your kidney, sell your body, sell crack on the street. Do what you got to do, but get the part you want the first time, it saves money in the end. trust me on this

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
I'd probably go with a used super t. The 888r sure is nice, but freaking tall for a bullit. The old supert's really seem like the perfect fork for a bullit. Low weight, and a good height. Also, you won't go so into debt with a super t.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
art vandelay said:
I'd probably go with a used super t. The 888r sure is nice, but freaking tall for a bullit. The old supert's really seem like the perfect fork for a bullit. Low weight, and a good height. Also, you won't go so into debt with a super t.
another issue. i want to go with a new fork for once... i've had problems with buying used for a while now. the 888 would be in the 7 inch position which would bring it down to about the height of a shiver.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am one of those clowns chiming in despite no experience with the SSVF, but based on the performance of my 888 and comments from others who have ridden both, HSCV is the way to go, hands down. Everyone has different standards and resources, but to me a fork is no place to cut corners. If you do you will just regret it pretty quickly. The cost difference won't matter after a little while, but hopefully you'll have the fork for a long time. It doesn't sound like they're giving you that great of a deal, so maybe you can look around and see if you can find an '04 for less. Or look around and try to find a new Super T somewhere, great fork for a bullit.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
get the jrt and then put a supert cartridge in the right leg, about $100. then you will have a new stronger supert without spending tooo much.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
One option would be to get the Junior T and have them install the Super T internals. That will save you some dough and you will have a great fork...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
'04 Super T $499

HERE http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13313-315_MARST4-3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories/2004-Marzocchi-Super-T-Pro.htm

then sell your old fork on Ebay to someone who doesn't know about the scratches... :evil:

(ok, don't ebay your old fork as karma's a bitch, but that super or even cheaper at pricepoint there's a Jr T for $314, quite a bit cheaper than Marz's trade-in. Theoretically you could do Jr T then get the HSCV cart for $100, and you'd save yourself $85, but that's a bit of a pain)

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
whoa, that '04 super looks like it might be a good option... but i called and left a message at the lbs to call marz. and stop the order of the 888VF, and to ask for the price of a RC... i'm guessing that it's going to be around $800, which is only like $140 more that what i would have paid for the shiver, so i guess that i'm going with that since my hardtail might be sold and i will have the money

i really want the 888rc because i'll be looking at getting a new DH bike eventually (maybe next year) and i want something like a demo 8, so i'd be able to switch the 888 to the 8 inch position and not have to look for a new fork to get 8 in. like i want. we'll see about that, but i also really like the compression adjustment on the 888...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
just get the Super T...since you're just starting to race it will be more than enough fork for you...and it will go on the Demo with no problems at all...you don't need an 8" fork just because the demo is 8"-9".....D

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
BMXman said:
just get the Super T...since you're just starting to race it will be more than enough fork for you...and it will go on the Demo with no problems at all...you don't need an 8" fork just because the demo is 8"-9".....D
I agree

I own a 04 Super-T and my Bighit has 8.9" travel (Betd 26" seatstay + biglink)
With 35-40% sag, its a super combo. :heart:

When you have to buy a new fork from your LBS, to get a warranty replacement, the 05 Jr-T with one HSCV cardridge is also a good solution.
It will become a 05 super-T with a real-dedicated 20mm axle instead of the QR20.

wooley_89

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
well i guess all i can say is, NOTHING and i mean NOTHING is as smooth as my 05 shiver, m..... gotta love HSCV :D