Quantcast

Marzocchi Super T

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I have a Marzocchi Super T from ... 2001 I think. It looks like this, http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/front_shocks_2002/product_83897.shtml

Anyways, it used to have a nice feel to it, but now it only seems to compress about half way before it stiffens immensely to the point that I can only get about 4" of travel out of it even when cranking down as hard as I can.

The problem developed after letting a friend ride the bike for a week so I'm not really sure how or what caused the problem.

I'm selling the bike that the fork is on to another friend and want to get the bike in top shape before selling it so what do you think the problem might be and are there still online manuals for this fork so that I could possibly rebuild it... any tips?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
hmmm...I had one of those and never had it stiffen up like that.

Is it a 2001 (150mm) or 2002 (170mm)?

Those older zokes are very easy to pull apart, but I don't remember being able to find a better manual than these to help the process.

There's a step by step oil change instruction here with pics for a similar fork. Your fork will just have a couple less parts (start at step 2), and use a different oil height (100mm if you have a 150mm SuperT).

If you pull it from the crowns you can determine which leg is causing the problem..if it is just one leg..not sure what years they had the cryofit lower crowns, but I think you're good to go if you have an 01/02 model.

Did he crank down the pre-load? Would he have added oil? When's the last time you changed the oil?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
He could have changed the preload... but it still seems excessively hard to push down. I'll go through the adjustments.

I probably last changed the oil... in 2004? But to be fair, I haven't ridden the bike in nearly a year and since 2004 only rode it around on pavement and doing drops and other urban junk. He definitely didn't add oil though.

I have the 170mm version so I guess that it is 2002.

What brand oil should I use for it?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Getting the springs out was super easy... I thought it would have been fairly involved. The only thing I haven't done yet is empty the old fluid out since I don't have any new stuff to replace it yet.

What do the bolts on the bottom of the fork legs do? I'm guessing that they hold the cartridges in?

Just wondering, is there a different way to drain the fluid out besides turning the fork upside down?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
????? said:
What do the bolts on the bottom of the fork legs do? I'm guessing that they hold the cartridges in?
Yep. Once you drain the oil, it's no biggie to pull them out. I always did yank them and cycle them a few times just to get all of the oil out. (remember to cycle them again when adding oil) The cartridges, in turn, are what hold the stantions to the lowers. Pulling them apart isn't a big deal, but you run the risk of jacking up seals putting them back together. Just have to take your time putting them back together if you do separate them.

????? said:
Just wondering, is there a different way to drain the fluid out besides turning the fork upside down?
yep...see above. It's messier, though. I always poured them out.