Quantcast

Marzocchi z150 steer tube replacement

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I'm looking at a slightly used an 04 Marzocchi z150. It came off a new bike, so I'm assuming the steer tube hasn't been cut, however I don't know the steer tube length. I know on other marzocchi forks the steer tube can be replaced. Is that the case with the z150?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Liquid10 said:
I'm looking at a slightly used an 04 Marzocchi z150. It came off a new bike, so I'm assuming the steer tube hasn't been cut, however I don't know the steer tube length. I know on other marzocchi forks the steer tube can be replaced. Is that the case with the z150?

Nope. If you want a new steer tube, you're going to need a whole new upper assembly. i.e. steer tube-crown-sanctions

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
chicodude01 said:
Nope. If you want a new steer tube, you're going to need a whole new upper assembly. i.e. steer tube-crown-sanctions
Just thought I'd say this is wrong. You CAN get a new steertube pressed in my Marzocchi, you send them the fork and they can do it. I dunno how much it costs but I do know Marzocchi will do it.

You COULD buy a whole new upper, but I'd think even with shipping it to them and paying to get it back, plus the parts and labor it'd be cheaper.

Give zocchi a call

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Spunger said:
Just thought I'd say this is wrong. You CAN get a new steertube pressed in my Marzocchi, you send them the fork and they can do it. I dunno how much it costs but I do know Marzocchi will do it.

You COULD buy a whole new upper, but I'd think even with shipping it to them and paying to get it back, plus the parts and labor it'd be cheaper.

Give zocchi a call

You sure about that? No, really, Can you do that? I was under the impression that you couldn't do that with a Z-150. I asked around and everyone said "You need a whole new upper. I guess I should give em a call..........

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Yep, z150's crowns should be "cryofitted" like the rest of their line. If you think about it, if you warm the crown up the steer tube can be removed. But you'd have to heat it enough where it might warp etc....especially with the wrong tools. I wanna say what zocchi does is once the steer is fitted it's frozen (hence cryofit) and that is what gives it such a tight tolerance. Without the right tools and know how you could ruin the crown/steer, but they can fix it. Selling you the whole upper assembly is just getting more money out of you, the consumer.

I dunno which way might be cheaper though, that is the question at hand

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Spunger said:
I dunno which way might be cheaper though, that is the question at hand

A whole new upper assembly is 200 bucks, I would hope getting a new steer would be cheaper

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Loco had a steerer replaced (marathon?) that cost around $75 plus shipping.
Mine was an 01 xfly, but most new models can have the steerer pressed 1 time. Call them. They are most helpful.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
The steerer can be replaced for sure. I've done it.

And bob is correct about the cryofit procedure is only between the crown and the stanchions.

S

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Liquid10 said:
It is also incorrect the steerer tube is uncut. It was cut for the head tube and stem choice of the original bike. It might be cut larger than normal, but unless you got it off a Small and putting it on a XL frame, you should still be OK.