Quantcast

Massanutten: the aftermath

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
I just wanted to say that i had a blast up there this weekend. it was my first time racing up there, and from now on, no matter where i am, i will go out of my way to race this race. Super well run, awesome course, kick @$$ way to start the DH season. :clapping: :clapping: ok now for all those folks that have pics (i saw a couple of flashes going off during practice!!!!) post em up!!!!!!!

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
I heard there were some sandbaggers in the midget class...
sandbaggers in the midget class? 3rd place dude was just an angry troll.

and ridiculous,

i can't speak for everyone, talk to the people that got completely rained out during their runs...i think it was half the sport class, the beginners, and the hardtail class that saw the worst of it.....i'm sure that course was completellllly different wet.....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I flatted. Tubeless doesn't work when you cut the tires :rolleyes: and I still prefer single race runs.

I went back up and did a sweeper run down behind the kiddies and the track was in fine shape.

Great time.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
course took its toll on bike parts thats for sure....i dented the bejeeezus out of my rear wheel, my boy joe broke off his der. hanger, and i know a ton of people that flatted numerous times up there

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
I raced sport & HT. I crashed at the first rock on the coarse. It wasnt much better 20 min. later on the hard tail but I think I must of had flatted on the same rock as I did on my first run. The Intense tire with its hard casing allowed me to ride all the way to the finish line making it a true hard tail.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
good times.
grabbed a few short vid clips
i think this is one of you nc guys that posts here a bit. don't know your RM name but damn, made that look super easy.

Mass-upper rock garden

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
That'd be Motomike going faster one footed through there than 99% of us with both feet on the pedals.

Nice religious epiphany dude has at the end of the clip:biggrin:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i had a great time racing! i can't complain when i got in almost 10 runs over 2 days and still had a clean race run. good to see everyone and watch people get faster.
on a side note: some of you know about the drama that happened on the trail with some douchbag on a red commencal...but for those of you that didn't hear, it's worth sharing to show how some dicks can give such a bad name to racing.
during practice, i rolled up on some first timers stuck in the off camber rock chute thingy right before the big fire-road. i had to stop behind them because they were blocking all of the lines through it. i offered them a tip or two on how to clean the section and then waited about 10 seconds to let them get ahead again. as i was waiting to let the other riders to get ahead some prick passes me on the high-side, bumps my and then tells me to get the fvck off the course. so..being the confrontational person that i am, i followed behind him and just as i was about to catch up w/ him on the fire road, i missed the turn and plowed straight into the blue barrels (possibly the coolest looking crash of the day award :thumb: )
so anyway, i get to the bottom of the lift and see this asshat waiting to get on the lift again. i approach him and ask him what his problem was and he told me that slow riders should get out of the way. i told him that i was just bottlenecked myself and was waiting for some other riders to clear out....besides, it is PRACTICE, and open practice at that (it would be different if it was 'expert only' practice and some noob was on the course...but it wasn't) he then told me, "well, if you can't handle the course, get the hell off of it!" well, i lost it a bit and delivered a few choice words...you know, the fighting kind. (my fuse has gotten really short over the past few years of dealing with asshats so i probably opened up on him a bit prematurely)...but anyway, the usual pre-fight exchange of words continued and then he finally turned away mumbling something like "i'll crush you" under his breath. i let it go, realizing that escalating the situation would make me even more of an ass than he was being.
so anyway, what if i had been a first time racer and had been treated like that by some mid-range expert racer? i'd probably never race again. hopefully this douche or one of his buddies will read this and deliver the message to him about an attitude adjustment. i think i heard someone call him "marvin" or "melvin" but he was riding a red commencal with a single crown front fork and wearing a brown on front, white on back short sleeve jersey.

so other than that drama, the race was perfect as usual :thumb: props to the promoters for keeping it running smoothly and keeping this race going :thumb:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
i had a great time racing! i can't complain when i got in almost 10 runs over 2 days and still had a clean race run. good to see everyone and watch people get faster.
on a side note: some of you know about the drama that happened on the trail with some douchbag on a red commencal...but for those of you that didn't hear, it's worth sharing to show how some dicks can give such a bad name to racing.
during practice, i rolled up on some first timers stuck in the off camber rock chute thingy right before the big fire-road. i had to stop behind them because they were blocking all of the lines through it. i offered them a tip or two on how to clean the section and then waited about 10 seconds to let them get ahead again. as i was waiting to let the other riders to get ahead some prick passes me on the high-side, bumps my and then tells me to get the fvck off the course. so..being the confrontational person that i am, i followed behind him and just as i was about to catch up w/ him on the fire road, i missed the turn and plowed straight into the blue barrels (possibly the coolest looking crash of the day award :thumb: )
so anyway, i get to the bottom of the lift and see this asshat waiting to get on the lift again. i approach him and ask him what his problem was and he told me that slow riders should get out of the way. i told him that i was just bottlenecked myself and was waiting for some other riders to clear out....besides, it is PRACTICE, and open practice at that (it would be different if it was 'expert only' practice and some noob was on the course...but it wasn't) he then told me, "well, if you can't handle the course, get the hell off of it!" well, i lost it a bit and delivered a few choice words...you know, the fighting kind. (my fuse has gotten really short over the past few years of dealing with asshats so i probably opened up on him a bit prematurely)...but anyway, the usual pre-fight exchange of words continued and then he finally turned away mumbling something like "i'll crush you" under his breath. i let it go, realizing that escalating the situation would make me even more of an ass than he was being.
so anyway, what if i had been a first time racer and had been treated like that by some mid-range expert racer? i'd probably never race again. hopefully this douche or one of his buddies will read this and deliver the message to him about an attitude adjustment. i think i heard someone call him "marvin" or "melvin" but he was riding a red commencal with a single crown front fork and wearing a brown on front, white on back short sleeve jersey.

so other than that drama, the race was perfect as usual :thumb: props to the promoters for keeping it running smoothly and keeping this race going :thumb:
If you were an ATL cop you would have found a reason to break into his room and shoot him up later that night.:crazy:

Well if anything good came out of it the newbs in front of you didn't get his attitude so they will hopefully be back next year.

I had a great time this weekend. I wasn't too proud of my race run but the riding was great and I got some of that lost confidence back from my broken ankle.
See ya'll at... where's the next race?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Nice one Manimal, I hate those frikken d!ckheads. That's why DHers have a bad rap!

Anyway, I had a great time up there. As always, my practice runs were perfect, and then I crashed hard in my race run. It was actually pretty comical. I came in way too hot off of the long fire road, and where it shoots back into the woods on the right I actually thought to myself "OK Hamberger, there are a lot of rocks up there, be careful!" Well, I wasn't careful enough and bounced off a rock and went flying into the brush on the left side. I tried to get up and get back on the bike, and I was stuck up in the rhododendron. I finally freed myself and then tried to get my bike up and it was stuck! I got it all worked out, and I rounded out the Senior Expert class at 4:19 :plthumbsdown: That was my first DFL :) Oh well, still had a GREAT time!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Nice one Manimal, I hate those frikken d!ckheads. That's why DHers have a bad rap!

Anyway, I had a great time up there. As always, my practice runs were perfect, and then I crashed hard in my race run. It was actually pretty comical. I came in way too hot off of the long fire road, and where it shoots back into the woods on the right I actually thought to myself "OK Hamberger, there are a lot of rocks up there, be careful!" Well, I wasn't careful enough and bounced off a rock and went flying into the brush on the left side. I tried to get up and get back on the bike, and I was stuck up in the rhododendron. I finally freed myself and then tried to get my bike up and it was stuck! I got it all worked out, and I rounded out the Senior Expert class at 4:19 :plthumbsdown: That was my first DFL :) Oh well, still had a GREAT time!

That's watcha git for tryin to beat the "Old Man".

Mike (4:12) :D

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I'll pass your message on to Marvin (and no, he isn't on my team but I do know who he is)

Anyway, to his point, we repeatly told the same guys to stop off the trail and not in blind corners. I myself took a 30+ mph trip off course between the last road and the rock shoot at the end since some noob re-entered the course without looking up the trail. I am all for not being an a$$ and giving room for beginners but some of these guys were not beginners and had no concern for others safety.

My favorite was the asshat that I followed through the whole upper rock garden while giving him plenty of space since he was so slow. I could have easily passed him in the rocks. However, I passed him on the first road section with a "hello on your left". He must have thought it was a challenge of weiner size or something since he went into a full on sprint to pass me back. I let him go only to follow him on the uphill where I waited for a good 30 seconds to give him some space. I then came to the next road crossing (100 feet later) where the same dude was standing. He took off again right in from of me once he saw me. I finally passed and dropped him on the left hand off camber further down the course. WTF?

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a dick and I don't want to see every race need seperate practices since everyone looses riding time. However, it is just as much a courtesy for slower riders to let faster riders through as it is for faster riders not to run over slower riders. In addition, it is courtesy to not stand in the line when riders are approaching at high speed.

On to the positive,

The race was awesome. Great weather right up until the end. The lift ran pretty good and the timing was top notch. No issues at all with the organizers. The ran a great race.

The hotel was awesome for $64. We'll be back next year.

I'll have some helmet cam footage in a day or so.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Anyway, to his point, we repeatly told the same guys to stop off the trail and not in blind corners.
Not to continue a stupid arguement, but on behalf of the beginners and sport guys that can't just bomb practice run after practice run, some of these guys (and KIDS even) can't help where they crash or wander off course BECAUSE THEY ARE BEGINNERS. as in don't know any better. yes you make a good point of teaching these guys to look up trail before hoping back on, but I'd be willing to bet you, like your friend, didn't ask nicely.

and as far as your other comment "Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a dick and I don't want to see every race need seperate practices since everyone looses riding time. However, it is just as much a courtesy for slower riders to let faster riders through as it is for faster riders not to run over slower riders."

I don't know about you, but i can't hear sh!t behind me when i'm riding. yeah it sucks to have to slow down when you're trying to learn your lines but thats what happens when you only have one course. learn to deal with it. i ran up on a bunch of slower riders during practice, but not once did i throw a fit about it. I slowed down and gave them room to get out of the section. your friend needs to learn to respect everyone thats there to race. his a-hole attitude isn't going to get him anywhere in this sport.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hah hah! Marvin Scanland. Dang yankee...just like ole Murphy. Poor Marvin...I'm gonna give him hell next time I see him.
"Hey Marvin, did you know you almost got your left arm pinned behind your back by a former Marine and policeman." That would be hilarious to see him lying there spouting "Dude! dude!"

:D

Just kidding Murphy. And Tubby, I wouldn't worry about Marvelous Marvin...he's comedy. Now Doug...he bitched out an amateur for the same stuff.

I say this. We've all got to remember that every rider out there paid the same amount of money to ride. If they're a slower rider in front of you...just let them be. If you say "Rider up" and they keep riding..either they didn't hear you or they are too scared to stop. I even said "Rider up" to one guy who immediately ejected into the bushes. I messed up his concentration and he panicked. I stopped to help him out...not kick him in the nuts.

As for riders getting out of your way..that's just wrong. We can't be like that. None of us are any more entitled to that course than the others. I see more kids get hurt or discouraged and frustrated by a couple faster guys who think that everyone is supposed to hug a gully when they come thumping through.

Kring...as for your situation...that was secretly one of my southern lackeys sent to destroy you for the hillbilly jokes. He was supposed to spear...not spar...with you. :thumb:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I saw quite a few wearing iPods and wonder if that contributed to some of the yielding issues.

I don't and can hear what's behind me fine and I wear a full moto helmet.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
You guys missed my entire point. I was not saying that I need a private course. I was just presenting the other side that everyone needs to be courtesy to their fellow riders.

And I'll repeat it again, I only had an issue with 2-3 riders that were riding dangerous to others around them. I am not refering to the beginner riders that may crash or just plain freak out in the line. While I was stopped in the last rock garden for a fallen rider, one of the same guys that I had an issue with decided to yell "get the f' out of the course" to the fallen rider while riding over his bike. This is quite ironic coming from someone that pulls onto the course without looking up hill.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You guys missed my entire point. I was not saying that I need a private course. I was just presenting the other side that everyone needs to be courtesy to their fellow riders.

And I'll repeat it again, I only had an issue with 2-3 riders that were riding dangerous to others around them. I am not refering to the beginner riders that may crash or just plain freak out in the line.
We didn't call you out Chris...that's why I made the assasin joke. You just happen to be a loonie magnet. He was drawn to you. :rofl:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Your a cop, correct? What would you do if someone didn't notice you were behind them since they had headphones on while you were on the way to an emergency.

Also, per Butch's comment, Marvin isn't an a$$hole. I am sure he was just excited and has an alternate viewpoint on how it went down.
the same thing i do for 99% of the drivers who had their windows up and stereo on, or were talking on the phone, or thought that my blue lights were pretty and fascinating. i have never had a problem hearing people coming up on the trail and i have never had a problem with yelling loud enough for people to hear me coming, although i don't doubt that some may have their tunes up a bit too loud.

regardless, the point w/ marvin is that when i confronted him about what he said as he passed me, he immediately assumed that i was a noob and blatantly said, "if you can't handle the course then you shouldn't be on it".....that was after i told him that i was trying to get started again after being stopped by the 3 other riders who had bottlenecked in that spot. i wasn't pissed that he assumed that i was a noob, i was pissed that there's a good chance that he's said crap like that to a noob. yeah, i escalated the situation by giving him a stout 'F-you!' but i don't take well to pompous pricks giving a bad name to the sport. i don't mind taking the problem to the woods if it means that he'd understand the impact he has on newcomers to the sport. what if that had been my son on the trail? i'm sure if it had been him i'd be having a big conversation with my boss right now.
i was going to apologize to him for spouting off like i did but then i reasoned that he probably didn't even know how big of a dick he was being in the first place and it would have been like talking to a wall.
either way, i have no hard feelings but i just thought it necessary to bring up the point of the importance of sportsmanship in this fickle sport.

example: Joe Haley, fast, all around rider that doesn't hesitate to help out other riders and isn't a dick on his practice runs. :thumb:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it figures.
just about the time i'm starting to consider having a yearly fall race up here.

i read this thread and remember why i said to myself, "never again" after the last one.

just like around here.
a few idiots on a.t.v.'s can give the whole group an undeserving bad rep.
the same with some racers.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
did haley come unglued in the rock garden on his race run?

he flew through the top one as fast as anyone, i was surprised to see he wasn't higher up in results.