Quantcast

massanutten?

S

seespotendo

i was just thinking today and why hasnt massanutten hopped aboard the bike park train?
and yes i kno they host one race in may.

i feel like they have a great location, maybe 2 hours from NOVA. especially if you dont feel like driving 4 to 5 hours to snowshoe or where ever you please.

so i was just wondering if anyone has tried to get the resort involved or if massanutten can't for what ever reason.

imo it could be a great place for a lift assisted bike park.

so discuss.....

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Well they only have one trail that's lift accessable so it would take a lot of work to make a full blown park. Now the western side of Massanutten has lots of vert over 2000 ft., lots of trails and a road that could easily be used for shuttling. I wish they would allow shuttling, but even if you pay to ride the trails you can't shuttle because they have the road gated off. Only time you could shuttle it is when they do the SuperD race.

SuperD was a 5 mile long downhill that takes 20+ minutes. The first mile was a rock garden (no joke it was like a mile long rock garden, 1/2 the time was getting through that) so I could skip that, the rest was high speed and flowy. Next year I'm riding the SuperD race on my DH bike just so can go down that trail on my big bike.

S

seespotendo

yes i have heard that the western side has trails.
but yea...

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
Liability and they don't want all the headaches and BS that comes with a bike program. This comes from the management office. They make more money at their water park and in time shares than they make all year long. It will never happen. I've asked several people on the mountain and they are not interested at all. There is NO money in bike parks on the east coast. They have watched 2 mountains struggle with bike programs and said no way.

Last edited:
May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
being a owner there, Id love to see them invest in something even if it is something shuttled. Just make one kick ass run...let us dh'ers and fr'ers worry bout the rest.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
There are a couple of sweet runs on the western size. About 2000 ft of vert and they have one built up with bermed turns and everything, it's smoking fast for about 10 minutes. But no shuttling, and you either have to be an owner, stay at the resort or become a member of the local bike club and pay or volunteer to ride the trails.

S

seespotendo

There are a couple of sweet runs on the western size. About 2000 ft of vert and they have one built up with bermed turns and everything, it's smoking fast for about 10 minutes. But no shuttling, and you either have to be an owner, stay at the resort or become a member of the local bike club and pay or volunteer to ride the trails.
do you have any idea what club it is?
i know my family is a member of a club in this/that area, but i cant put my finger on it.
EDIT: its the shenandoah valley bicycle coalition.
apparently the reason a trail pass is needed on the western side is the trails are private property, thats owned by massanutten.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
Trail work is on thursdays. 10 hours will get you a pass. No riding during hunting season(Nov. to Jan or Feb). You can also by a pass from the club. It's 50 bucks. Come by Shenandoah Bicycle Company or call for more info on trail work. The whole western side is owned by Massanutten and is private property. If the security guy catches you with no parking pass and no trail pass they will ban you for life. They are real strict with the pass thing. Trails are sweet though. 1000 feet of elevation and the trail old school speaks of is the best!

S

seespotendo

seems like you know the dealio with these trails. is it possible to shuttle them?