Quantcast

Massauntten Super D & 19th Annual HOO-HA!

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
http://www.shenandoahbicycle.com/

Check out the bottom of the EVENTS PAGE for Super D Details.

Check out the Western Slope at Massanutten Resort.
Registration and camping are not located at the Ski Area.
Check the Maps & info for driving directions.

The mountain bike weekend is June 2 & 3, 2007

NEW UPPER RAVINE TRAIL READY TO RIDE.
A BIG Thanks to the Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club and a whole lot of volunteers.

Super D:
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=248

HOO-HA!
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=220

The classes are Male or Female OPEN for the SUPER D.
No age classifications or categories.

Everyone welcome!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
JD had ask I open the thread so, here ya go! :thumb:
Thank ye Ralph!

I just had a couple of questions and didn't want to start up a whole new thread....

So what kind of race is this? Is it mass start or staggered start?

Also, what's the ride to the start like? The website says it takes an hour or so to ride to the starting spot. Are we riding up the course backwards? If not, what's the best way to get from the trail head, to the start, to the finish, then back to the starting trail head? In other words, am I going to need to set a shuttle?

Thanks!

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
Better bring a good pedalling bike. I ride those trails every week and a dh bike will get eaten alive. Lots of tech rock and uphill and false flat sections. You haven't seen rocks till you ride from the Knob:biggrin: .

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yeah, I ride a sort of all-mountain/freeride hardtail. It should do fine. It pedals decent enough with the saddle up. Plus it's light enough to throw over my shoulder should the need arise.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
You will have to ride up to the knob. It's a ways out the ridge. You will probably not be able to ride a lot of it on the way out because it is rocky and super techy as well as a lot of uphill. If you get out of your groove it's real hard to get back into it because of the rocks. Did I mention the rocks? Imagine 2 miles or so of undulating ridge riding that has more rock in it than the last rock garden on the DH course. I think the race will be won at the top. Whoever has the mad tech skills and cross country endurance will have the best shot.

TDN

Chimp
Aug 25, 2006
I rode the Kaylor Knob trail a few weeks ago from the Del Webb overlook (that's where they're starting, right?). You can only drive to it from the Mass resort side, not the Keezletown side. (There's a road on the western side but it's gated and the Mass security guys use it for patrolling the western slope.) There isn't much climbing in terms of elevation, but there are 4 or 5 mini peaks where there are boulders on the trail. Someone with mad trials skills could probably clean it but you'd use a lot of energy in the process. Most of us "mere mortals" would have to walk about 10-20% of the 2-mile ridge trail. From what I can tell though, they are talking about using the new ravine trail that the SMBC club cut last fall, which cuts off the last 1/2 mile or so of the ridge trail (including Kaylor's Knob itself). This would be where you start to head downhill (instead of staying on the ridge to the sharp left turn after the knob). Then there are multiple trails on the western slope side of the ridge that will comprise the rest of the course.

TDN

Chimp
Aug 25, 2006
So you do go up the way you come down? That was really my question.
If you're riding a loop, you'll want to climb up Del Webb on the western side (climb the road). I wouldn't want to try climbing up any of the trails that come down from Kaylor Knob.

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Baxter, Would the g-spot with a single crown and a fixed 34t chainring make it up,or should I bring the Ellsworth ISIS w/ 4"& 5" travel and a granny instead?

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
What he said. The new upper ravine trail was just finished by the club as well as MANY volunteers. Ther e are some dope ass berms on the top of the new upper ravine(five to be exact). That part is sooo fun.:biggrin:

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
Bring your ellsworth. Any freeride bike or dh bike will SUCK. Trust me I climb and decend on an RMX with 2 rings and a 170mm single crown and I get dusted by my friends on Fuel ex's and Cake's. This is not a dh race of any kind. It's better!

TDN

Chimp
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah the descents aren't that steep or sketchy at all. A 5" travel XC bike would be ideal. I haven't ridden the whole ravine trail but from what I could tell it was mostly bench cut along the ravine, not a fall line trail at all. The other trails below are mostly smooth doubletrack with a few singletrack rocky sections.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
Yeah the new stuff at the top is smooth and flowy. That part of the trail had some machine help. It hooks back up with the Homestead trail which is rocky single track near the bottom. It's good stuff. I'm so stoked from talking about this I'm out the door to go ride it. See yous guys later.

TDN

Chimp
Aug 25, 2006
Dave,

Are you parking at the bottom and riding to the top? Or will you have someone there with you who can drive you to the top? I have a map that I bought from the ski office, I'd be happy to pdf it and send it to you (can't post it online, they're freaky about the hush-hush western slope after all). But if you're getting dropped off you can't miss Del Webb from the resort. Go in at Resort Drive like you're driving up to the ski area, but just after the big "dip" in the road (the section that goes down then back up, with hairpin turns, between the residential roads and the condos closer to the ski area), turn right on Del Webb Drive. (Look for the signs for Fareways restaurant, Mountain Greens golf course and "Le Club" recreation building -- that's Del Webb.) Take that to the top and you're there. The trailhead going to the right is the Kaylor's Knob trail. The gate in front of you is the top of the closed portion of Del Webb coming up from the western side.

If you were riding your bike up from the bottom, go past the rotted out remains of the "ranger booth" and just stay to the right. Del Webb on the western slope is essentially the southern boundary of the area. It climbs steadily up to the ridge and comes up to the gate at the overlook.

I'm sure they'll have the course well marked once you're up there.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Take that to the top and you're there. The trailhead going to the right is the Kaylor's Knob trail. The gate in front of you is the top of the closed portion of Del Webb coming up from the western side.
Cool. I'm looking at topo map and I think I know exact where you are talking about. I see the road going to the ridge line and Kaylor Knob between 1.5 and 2 miles to the north east. My wife will be with me. I think I'll get her to drive me up and have her meet me at the finish. Of course that begs the question, where's the finish?

So the other option would be to grind up the Del Webb road from the west side?

TDN

Chimp
Aug 25, 2006
I can't say for sure where the finish line is but it's probably at the very bottom. If you're coming from Keezletown, Mountain Valley Rd to Happy Valley Rd, look for the rotted ranger's booth on the right. That's the bottom of Del Webb. But the registration/finish line area will probably be in the field just past that. Go past Del Webb, past a little house next to it, and take your next right. It's the Mass "parking area" for the western slope, and it's a pretty big grass field (I think there's a sign that says Mass owners and guests only). That's most likely where the action will be.

And yeah, your only options are to get a shuttle ride all the way around (33 to Resort Drive to Del Webb, about 20-30 minute drive) or to climb Del Webb from the ranger booth to the overlook.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Bottom of page Super D information.

So you do go up the way you come down? That was really my question.
The registration is at the finish line for the Cross Country Race on Sunday. Look for the White Tents. You cannot see the tents from
Happy Valley Road Parking Lot or the Old Guard House but if you
draw a triange the tents are in a field between the two.

The Western slope Road is open that afternoon for the Super D.
WE ride or shuttle up the road to the overlook.
WE ride and push to Kaylor Knob. You are on the race course
while huffing out to the start.

You will pass the Ravine trail on the way out but we usually do not
ride up it prior to the race. It is doable and ok if you chose that
route.

We are racing and holding a Event on Sat June 2, so the rules are
not enforced. Come Enjoy yourselfs but allow plenty of time to
make the start Area At Kaylor Knob.

The overlook is not part of the Race Course.
The racers will not make it back to the pavement during the race run.

Please click on the Super D Link for more info.
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=248

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Bottom of page Super D information.
Thanks! That's great that we can shuttle from the West! Saves a lot of driving and pissing off of the shuttle bunny, i.e. wife.

I took the liberty of cutting and pasting more details from your website:

SuperD Website said:
Massanutten Super D and Hoo-Ha Cross Country Race - June 2nd & 3rd, 2007

Hoo-Ha info: http://www.mountainbikevirginia.com/Hooha.htm

Super D Info below: more info Thomas tj@shenandoahbicycle.com or 540-434-9943.

Registration: Day of event only, Saturday June 2nd only 2-3:30pm. Registration will be at Hoo-Ha registration/finish line tent.

Brought to you by: Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club, NORBA & Massanutten Four Season Resort.

Cost: $5 in registered with the Hoo-Ha Cross Country race on Sunday June 3rd. $15 if registering for Super D only.

Classes: Two, Men and Women!!

Where: Massanutten Western Slope, Keezletown Virginia.

Directions: From I-81 Exit 247A Route 33 East, Harrisonburg take Route 33 east five miles east to stop light at 620. Take a left on 620 to Keezletown.2.7 miles, then right on Rt. 758. Go 1.4 miles to farmhouse, entrance is on right. Please note that the cross country course and Super D Course is NOT at the ski lodge, but on the mountain's western slope (the ski slope is eastern) near the quaint metropolis of Keezletown.

Start Time: First Rider down at 5:00pm, at 30 second intervals. All riders must be on Kaylors Knob by 4:45 for pre race meeting, no riders will be permitted to ride towards Kaylors Knob past 4:15pm to prevent two way traffic.

Course Description: The course is about 5 miles long with a fair amount of pedaling including several up hills. The first two miles are VERY rocky and will include several dismounts and up hill sections. The bottom portion of the course has several substained downhill sections will pedaling sections mixed in.

Length: 5 miles long

Elevation loss: 2200 vertical feet

Elevation gain: 400 vertical feet

Estimated Finish Times: 20-30 minutes.

Course Start Location: The course will begin on Kaylors Knob which you will have to ride to. The closest vehicle access is 2.5 miles away from the start, you will ride the first two miles of the course to reach the start so you MUST be on your bike riding from the Massanutten overlook no later then 4:15pm.