match dot com

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
wtf is a "harpie"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy

"The term is often used metaphorically to refer to a nasty or annoying woman."

In Greek mythology, a harpy ("snatcher", from Latin: harpȳia, originating in Greek: ἅρπυια, harpūia) was one of the winged spirits best known for constantly stealing all food from Phineas. The literal meaning of the word seems to be "that which snatches" as it comes from the ancient Greek word harpazein (ἅρπάζειν), which means "to snatch".

A harpy was the mother by the West Wind Zephyros of the horses of Achilles.[1] In this context Jane Ellen Harrison adduced the notion in Virgil's Georgics (iii.274) that mares became gravid by the wind alone, marvelous to say.[2]

Hesiod[3] calls them two "lovely-haired" creatures, perhaps euphemistically. Harpies as ugly winged bird-women, e.g. in Aeschylus' The Eumenides (line 50) are a late development, due to a confusion with the Sirens. Roman and Byzantine writers detailed their ugliness.[4]

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy

"The term is often used metaphorically to refer to a nasty or annoying woman."

In Greek mythology, a harpy ("snatcher", from Latin: harpȳia, originating in Greek: ἅρπυια, harpūia) was one of the winged spirits best known for constantly stealing all food from Phineas. The literal meaning of the word seems to be "that which snatches" as it comes from the ancient Greek word harpazein (ἅρπάζειν), which means "to snatch".
Perhaps you should call them "Snatchies"?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My babies mom has met some interesting folks on plentyoffish. Since she just turned 40 it seems she got hit up by 2 types of people. 20 somethings looking for a quick score, and 50 something looking for a quick score.

She said the funniest thing is both types have the same lame one liners. :rofl:

"you sure are hot for a woman your age..."

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Now that you mention it, I think I might have used the words open minded, but I do have limits.

Facebook, check.

Plentyoffish, will check.

Lawl @ Harpy.
I have been on both for a little while. I would honestly keep the profile relatively short and sweet. Girls (and guys) will pretty much go off looks. Obviously you skim the profile to make sure they aren't nuts. I'm not religous at all, so I skip any chick that has multiple God references in her profile, stuff like that. I have come to the conclusion that girls do the same thing we do. If you send them anything (as long as it's not lewd or retarded), they will respond if they are attracted to you. Simple questions are easy to get the ball rolling. Always, always ask them something when you reply to a message because it gives them something to talk about.

From talking to girls I have gone out with, stupid one-liners won't get you anywhere. I typically don't hang out with or date plastic-fantastic chicks, so maybe other stupid crap works on them. I prefer girl next door type, so just chat them up, ask for their number and go from there. Don't be a pushover either, because they won't give you the time of day if it's too easy.

You will get fat chicks that hit you up. You will get ugly chicks that hit you up. I met this chick one time that had really cute pics, looked like girl next door. They must have been years old, because she literally had to be 40 pounds heavier. I just left.

Oh, and same goes as for regular dating. Don't waste money. I usually just meet for a cup of coffee. Cheap and easy and it can be 30 min exit strategy or 3hr chat. Some of my friends have had some chicks straight up come to the house without ever meeting them and knock one out...haha.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i tried match.com and it was a waste of time and money. it seemed that i attracted all the fatties and or disasters. i dont remember putting in my profile that i was a chubby chaser

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Before my met my wife at church (ie. not on a website), I signed up for Eharmony and took the million hours to fill out their matching information.

I made "Christian", "religious", honesty, trust, tall, blonde, etc. all important.

It set me up with two women. Both lived in Modesto, 2 hours away, and both were substantially younger than me and already had kids.

WTF?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Eharmony is gay. There is no way to search.....they basically just set you up based on profiles. No filters for looks.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ok, i've got tons to say on this topic, but not much time, so i may need to come back to clarify.

i just met a grrrlie on there and i'm hooked. she's the berries and quite the match for me. i'm very pleased with the results.

before her, there were months of unanswered emails and winks. several girls would email but not agree to meet, even if you could get a phone number out of them. a bud of mine said it takes about three months to get things moving on that site (based on his personal experience and that of others he knows). it turned out to be about that for me.

keep in mind the difference between subscriber and member. members can only view and wink. if you shoot them an email all it says is "some douche sent you an email" but doesn't say which douche. if a girl is a subscriber, then she gets your email and can reply. there is no way to tell which one a girl is by viewing her profile. your emails and winks may go unresponded to because she is a member, but not a subscriber. also know that if you unsubscribe, they keep your profile in rotation, so check the "last login date" to see if the girl is active.

chemistry.com is worse. you get the same "daily 5" selections, but that is all you get. like eharmony, they guide you through the introduction, so you can't just shoot off an email and get a number and get to talking. chemistry is run by the same folks as match and they do the same profile trick. i unsubscribed from chemistry, but still get notifications that girls are interested in my profile (not the generic spam email, but the notifier you get when a specific person is interested). of course, i've unsubscribed, so i can't reply without paying to, and the girl who sent me a contact saying she is interested doesn't know that i'm not active, so she just thinks i'm not interested. it took me a while to figure out that is how they did things and i was bummed that "well matched" girls weren't responding to my "interest" notifications.

all in all, i had pretty lame experiences, with only one real date in several months, until i met the grrrlie i was looking for, and now i'm stoked and i would never have met her any other way.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
and for you ladies...

DICTIONARY FOR DECODING MEN’S PERSONAL ADS:

Man………………………………..Slut
Photos…………………………….Anticipate duplicity, usually of subject 10, 15, 20 years ago
29…………………………………..40 but thinks he looks 29
35…………………………………..45 dyes his hair
40…………………………………..60 dyes his hair, has penile implant
30’s…………………………………45 in search of an 18 year old
40’s…………………………………55 slut
Adventurous......................Gets up in the morning, sleeps with anyone or anything
A Few Extra Pounds………..Waddles, looks very pregnant
Athletic.............................Walks up the stairs, but only if the elevator is broken
Average looking.................Fat, looks 4 to 9 months pregnant
Divorced………………………….For good reason: shallow, self absorbed SOB
Handsome.........................Shallow & self absorbed, uses photo that is 20 years old
Emotionally Secure.............On medication
Financially Secure...............Cheap
Free spirit...........................Takes the bus, lives in a shoe box, sleeps on a bare mattress on the floor
Friendship first....................Emotionally insecure, penile challenged
Gentleman……………………….Penile challenged, minute man, lies about age
Intelligent………………………..High school drop out
New-Age............................Feminine
Old-fashioned.....................Hates women
Open-minded......................Slut, will have sex with anyone or thing
Oral………………………………….Penile challenged, minute man
Outgoing.............................Loud and Embarrassing slut
Professional.........................Shallow **stard
Single………………………………..Married and sleazing
Separated………………………….What the wife doesn’t know won’t hurt her
Slim…………………………………..In denial, horny liar
Staminia…………………………….On Viagara or cilis
Stocky.................................Very Fat horny liar
Tall……………………………………Slut, arrogant
Large frame.........................Hugely Fat horny liar
Long Time Single……………….Gay and in denial or Penile challenged or Minute Man
Wants Soul mate..................Horny liar
Haha spoken like a true man-hater...now make with the happy endings.

Oh another one guys: if you ever see that precious acronym "BBW", what it really means is "Bring Burgers With". What a gentle, sugarcoated and unassuming way of saying "I'm a cow".

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Is it fair to say you're 'hooked'?

ok, i've got tons to say on this topic, but not much time, so i may need to come back to clarify.

i just met a grrrlie on there and i'm hooked. she's the berries and quite the match for me. i'm very pleased with the results.

before her, there were months of unanswered emails and winks. several girls would email but not agree to meet, even if you could get a phone number out of them. a bud of mine said it takes about three months to get things moving on that site (based on his personal experience and that of others he knows). it turned out to be about that for me.

keep in mind the difference between subscriber and member. members can only view and wink. if you shoot them an email all it says is "some douche sent you an email" but doesn't say which douche. if a girl is a subscriber, then she gets your email and can reply. there is no way to tell which one a girl is by viewing her profile. your emails and winks may go unresponded to because she is a member, but not a subscriber. also know that if you unsubscribe, they keep your profile in rotation, so check the "last login date" to see if the girl is active.

chemistry.com is worse. you get the same "daily 5" selections, but that is all you get. like eharmony, they guide you through the introduction, so you can't just shoot off an email and get a number and get to talking. chemistry is run by the same folks as match and they do the same profile trick. i unsubscribed from chemistry, but still get notifications that girls are interested in my profile (not the generic spam email, but the notifier you get when a specific person is interested). of course, i've unsubscribed, so i can't reply without paying to, and the girl who sent me a contact saying she is interested doesn't know that i'm not active, so she just thinks i'm not interested. it took me a while to figure out that is how they did things and i was bummed that "well matched" girls weren't responding to my "interest" notifications.

all in all, i had pretty lame experiences, with only one real date in several months, until i met the grrrlie i was looking for, and now i'm stoked and i would never have met her any other way.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I met one really great girl out of lets say the 50 or so I've gone out with from match.

Mind you I am not with her anymore. Lost my mind one night, asked for more than just casual fuking and good dinners, and that was the end of that.

Still banging the 22 year old I met off of there. She came over to the new house last night with a tooth brush and clothes she wanted to leave in my closet.

Think that's the last time she's coming over.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dont you guys have friends who have friends?
Dont you go to parties or other types of social events?

I guess I can see it if you're new to an area, but I, for one, would be afraid of the pure desperation most of these woman you would meet, looking for men on the internet, would exhibit. Christ, how hard is it for a woman to get laid?

Just make sure you wrap it. That's all I got.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This is the most disgusting thing I've ever read.
I find that VERY hard to believe.

I met my lady online.

I tell any single people I meet who are in need of a date to at least try it. It's like human TV! Don't like what you see? Just change the channel and onto the next.

Of course, I did my online dating in Montreal, where there are babes 'o plenty. The shotgun method works way better when there are lots of targets.

Can't imagine trying it in Burlington...eesh. It would be like watching TV with nothing but Lums commercial after Lums commercial. :eyegouge:

Cripes! Rufus, Burlington is close enough to Montreal that you should at least give that a look. I'm sure it would work out for you, being an exotic American and all...

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Also, FWIW, check out plentyoffish.com. Basically the same thing as match, but it's totally free.
I was on there for a good year or so. I met quite a few hot women on that site, and went on several dates. It's not bad for a free site.

Met a sweet woman on there in July, and have been together since.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
i tried match.com and it was a waste of time and money. it seemed that i attracted all the fatties and or disasters. i dont remember putting in my profile that i was a chubby chaser
It's only because you forgot to add this to your profile...
:rofl:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I tried EH for arguably too long. Met some train wrecks, had some "clean" fun, and checked out while I still had my sanity in tact.

My current gf and I were setup by her mother. Now? The woman hates me.