Quantcast

Match these Frames & Forks

Alphabolt

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Tropical Island
I now have the ff framesets: 1999 Specialized Enduro Pro w/ Float RL; 2004 Specialized Enduro Pro w/ Float RL &.. a 2001 Giant XTC AC1 w/ Rockshox Pro Deluxe with damping...
I also have the ff forks: 2002 Marzocchi Z1 FR Wedge 130mm(?); 2004 Marzocchi DJ II 130mm; 2004 Marzocchi Marathon SL 120mm &.. a 2003 Rockshox Psylo XC 120mm.
I need the forum's techiees to help me sort which fork goes to which frame.
PLs tell me technically why you chose a configuration as well.

For my brother, a friend and myself...If friend bails out, I ll sell his setup
We hit somewhat aggressive trails and only max 4 footer jumps

Thanks in advance ;)

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
1999 enduro- marzocchi marathon because you wont jump this bike
2004 enduro-Rock shox psylo because youll ride this bike a ggressively, but not to hard
Gaint xtc ac1- dirt jumper 2 because in my eyes this is the most worthy of jumps and tha kind of thing

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
the z1 wedge can go on the 2004 enduro if you want to do more aggresive trails and a few jumps or drops. ididnt see it there sorry

Alphabolt

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Tropical Island
djP1,

thanks bro. your handle speaks loud :)

I noted that the 99 Enduro does not appeal as an aggressive frame for you both (jasonpt)...or is it its age ? Should I go easy on that frame model ?

Just getting to know more on what I have ...thanks

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'd put the Z1 on the AC, the Marzo DJ series suck for trail riding, if thats what you intend to do with it.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
Alphabolt said:
I noted that the 99 Enduro does not appeal as an aggressive frame for you both (jasonpt)...or is it its age ? Should I go easy on that frame model ?
the only problem i have with a frame like this and aggressive riding is that the pivots... swing arms... and any other high stress frame parts may not be up to a beating, if youve kept in in good shape you could be able to ride it agressively

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I own a 2004 Enduro Pro. I'd say match suspension types, air for air. On mine, I changed the rear to a Romic Twin D and picked up a Marz Z1 FR QR20; coil for coil. It's a great trail bike, but you'll need patience in a climb. For you, if you keep your Float RL on it, I'd think about the Marathon and building it light. W/ lockout and the short travel mode, it should climb pretty well and match the front end. If you change your rear, then I'd maybe throw the Z1 on here and go a medium duty trail bike build.
The 99 Enduros came w/ Psylos. Personally, I'd throw the Rock Shox away, or eGay the thing. This frame is tougher than you think so I'm feeling the Z1 will be just fine. Travel will be slightly miss-matched, but no biggie. However, if you did the trail bike build w/ the '04, use the Marathon on this bike and build this one light.
I'm not well versed on the Giant line, but if I remember right, the AC1 has 5"/6" in the rear, kinda medium to heavy construction (compared to the other two) which would fit the DJ fork.

Alphabolt

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Tropical Island
Yup. I see where you re coming from, Pau11y

Are nt Enduro Pros wasted on Marz Marathons? Excessively strong frames with fine-tune Gucci fork ? ...that s what I read somewhere before. Been thinking twas a misake buying the Marathon SL...or is this fork strong and can hold its own on aggressive trails?

Thank s y'all

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Alphabolt said:
Yup. I see where you re coming from, Pau11y

Are nt Enduro Pros wasted on Marz Marathons? Excessively strong frames with fine-tune Gucci fork ? ...that s what I read somewhere before. Been thinking twas a misake buying the Marathon SL...or is this fork strong and can hold its own on aggressive trails?

Thank s y'all
I was thinking about a Marathon for my Enduro before I went w/ the FR. I wouldn't huck that fork, but I'm sure it'll be just fine for trail riding. How heavy & tall are you? Are you smooth or point-and-plow kind of guy? I ride pretty smooth and sometimes I think my Z1 FR is overkill. But, I had a 6" Boxxer on the front of my bike (only for like a 1/2 dozen rides) and got spoiled w/ how well a 20mm front tracked.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Marathon SLs are somewhat flexy for aggro trailriding, I wouldn't get one unless it was an XC bike.

They ARE nice forks when used in the best application, however.

Alphabolt

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Tropical Island
Pau11y said:
I was thinking about a Marathon for my Enduro before I went w/ the FR. I wouldn't huck that fork, but I'm sure it'll be just fine for trail riding. How heavy & tall are you? Are you smooth or point-and-plow kind of guy? I ride pretty smooth and sometimes I think my Z1 FR is overkill. But, I had a 6" Boxxer on the front of my bike (only for like a 1/2 dozen rides) and got spoiled w/ how well a 20mm front tracked.
Hi Paully,

sorry for delay in posting. I had to take care of the new baby :) and was hectic for a while.

Anyway, Im only 5'7" and 175lbs...yeah...Im a fatso I guess :blah:

I m a point and plow..aggressive rider who cant get the nerve to jump more than 3 ft yet

I like the way the zoke Z1 tracks though specially with the deep ruts and stumps on the trails I ride

Thanks

Alphabolt

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Tropical Island
xbluethunderx said:
Marathon SLs are somewhat flexy for aggro trailriding, I wouldn't get one unless it was an XC bike.

They ARE nice forks when used in the best application, however.
Hey XBTX,

thanks for the inputs...yeah the SLs are XC forks..internally

I wanted a Drop-Off or a Z1 FR150...much better,,but I impulse-bought d a m n :nuts:

Thanks again

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Alphabolt said:
Hi Paully,

sorry for delay in posting. I had to take care of the new baby :) and was hectic for a while.

Anyway, Im only 5'7" and 175lbs...yeah...Im a fatso I guess :blah:

I m a point and plow..aggressive rider who cant get the nerve to jump more than 3 ft yet

I like the way the zoke Z1 tracks though specially with the deep ruts and stumps on the trails I ride

Thanks
Well, in light of this I wouldn't put the Marathon on the new Enduro, maybe the old one is OK for a XC-ish full squishy. If you like to plow, then either the Z1 or DJ, which ever is stiffer. BTW, I wouldn't call the new Enduro super strong. They are strong, but not overly so. My 180# smooth riding ass managed to oval a head tube of a 2002 and crack its predecessor, FSR Elite MaxBackbone.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Alphabolt said:
Hey XBTX,

thanks for the inputs...yeah the SLs are XC forks..internally
This is true, to an extent. It's like having the internals of a SID inside a Fox Float. I did huck the one I had once, but the smaller air volume kind of made it difficult to make it not bottom out off harsh landings.

Alphabolt

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Tropical Island
Cool Paully

thanks for the inputs! Really useful in my mix match dilemma

Last Q though: why is it that whenever a fork is lableled as an XC fork ...people assume that the rider has to be below 140lbs or sumthin?

Beats me ..that s for sure :oink:

Alphabolt

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Tropical Island
blue said:
This is true, to an extent. It's like having the internals of a SID inside a Fox Float. I did huck the one I had once, but the smaller air volume kind of made it difficult to make it not bottom out off harsh landings.

Hey Blue,

what did you replace the SL with after that? Mightly interested :eek:

Might be a future need for me..d*a*m*n

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Alphabolt said:
Cool Paully

thanks for the inputs! Really useful in my mix match dilemma

Last Q though: why is it that whenever a fork is lableled as an XC fork ...people assume that the rider has to be below 140lbs or sumthin?

Beats me ..that s for sure :oink:
I think it's because they're built w/ too thin of tubes. For instance, I have a '01 Z2 Atom 80 and a '01 Sid Race. The Sid is most definitely a XC race fork (air/oil) where as the Atom 80, still a XC fork, isn't like a full-on "race light" fork (coil/oil). I use disc on this bike and I can see the front wheel move fwd and back when I grab the brakes if the Sid was mounted. The Atom 80 doesn't do that nearly as much, but still has a bit of flex. The weight diff between the two is like 1 - 1.5 lbs, but it's prob mostly from the springs and oil in the Marz. I weigh in at 180 during season, slightly heavier in the winter due to skiing (more muscle development skiing vs. more cardio biking). I wouldn't ride that Sid on this bike even tho I ride pretty smooth. Now I am thinking of putting it on and changing my cockpit to drops and road levers, and 26" to 700c skinnies for more of a cross bike config. I won't be doing too much steep techie stuff so the Sid won't be stressed too hard in this config.
Just for comparison, I also have a '04 Z1 FR QR20. It prob has another 1-1.5# on the Atom 80. I can't feel ANY flex on that thing.
I don't think there's a limit on weight, unless its specifically mentioned. But most won't ride a flexi fork because it doesn't track well, just like I won't ride that Sid within normal mtb operational envelope. So for those who can't flex it like me, it's fine as an everyday fork and that defaults to ppl below a certain weight range.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Alphabolt said:
Hey Blue,

what did you replace the SL with after that? Mightly interested :eek:

Might be a future need for me..d*a*m*n
I didn't really replace it, I sold the bike it was on. The new bike had a Fox Float 100, and it was really stiff, stiffer than the Marathon, but weighed about 1/3 of a lb more. I just sold the Float and got a Rockshox Reba Team that should be coming later on next week, I think that will be the perfect balance between weight/stiffness/raceability.