Math Questions....

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
DHGH said:
For some reason I want to say its:

12*11*10*9*8

For card one, you have your choice of 12 cards, so you pick one of 12 possibilities.
For the second card, you have your choice of the 11 remaining cards, so 11 more possibilities for each of the preveious 12.

12*11*10*9*8 = 12!/(12-5)! or n!/(n-r)! the nCr formula needs an extra r in the denominator which yours forgets. Remember, permutations are different than combinations.

12*11*10*9*8 is wrong and I'll explain why. Your formula doesn't account for hands that are the same but drawn in different orders.

For instance, if you do it your way the hand K,K,K,K,Q would be a different hand than Q,K,K,K,K. If you use number of combinations of n objects taken r at a time you get rid of all these hands with the same cards but are drawn in different orders.

so in summary

12!/7! is WRONG (permutations)
12!/(7!5!) is RIGHT (combinations)

matt

BTW, im an upper div math major at university. however, it's been a long time since I took probability..

DHGH

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
OH MY GOD, A MATH MAJOR THAT SPEAKS ENGLISH???? HOLY JUMPIN' F'IN JESUS!! I thought those weren't allowed anymore, at least not here...this probably explains why I just woke up as my math class was ending, which is taught by some old viking dude not worth listening to. Oh well, engineering is torturous enough, I'm not sure I'd want to spring for the math major like I originally planned to going into college.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
DHGH said:
OH MY GOD, A MATH MAJOR THAT SPEAKS ENGLISH???? HOLY JUMPIN' F'IN JESUS!! I thought those weren't allowed anymore, at least not here...this probably explains why I just woke up as my math class was ending, which is taught by some old viking dude not worth listening to. Oh well, engineering is torturous enough, I'm not sure I'd want to spring for the math major like I originally planned to going into college.
Speaking of math and numbers - have you sent that Korked Dude his $500 yet?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
DHGH said:
click.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
DHGH said:
Dood, on another topic alltogether - what's the deal w/ you and Korked7? Did you post "your side" of the story somewhere yet? He's said you guys were trying to work things out. Let's hear what you've got going on this deal to make things right.

Edit: funny how ppl just jump'd on his ass when he show'd up :thumb:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Well now that we know what the real answer is I'd have been way off, I was going to suggest 4^5, I guess that would be the number of outcomes for something like 5 rolls of a 4 sided die though, I totally spaced that they are dependant events. I loved math up until algebra II, I think we must have had the same teacher, I liked calc but didn't really understand the fundamental concepts just the order of doing things to get to an answer. Kind of like statics and mechanics, I had a brilliant professor, who just wasn't capable of explaining things to somebody who wasn't also brilliant, even the TA's were lost on most of his explanations.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
DHGH said:
U gosta prollem wit' my Inglish skillz, foo?

I'm Wayne Brady, bitch.