Maui Fires

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
@Lelandjt

Or anyone else around there...

Your family and friends okay?

From what I've seen/heard, lots of carnage. So not cool. Can't imagine. Sending out the positive vibes to all in Hawaii.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend of mine just moved there. Didn't know about the fires, asked him how things were as he was evacuating.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've got a buddy who has friends/family out in the 808 as he calls it. They're in Kihei. He said they are safe. So that's good.

But boats in a marina on fire? That's effed up. And that's just one of the many things...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Neighbors across the alley are there. At airport. 21 hour flight delay is the word.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just 2 weeks ago we booked a week there in November. Ugh. It looks pretty awful.
About 10 years ago I stayed with some low level non-violent organized criminals that were squatting in a foreclosed mansion on the beach there. Looks like it got taken out.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We were on the big island in June. We went to waipio valley with our Airbnb host, whose family has had land in the valley for generations. I remember him making a remark about how horribly dry everything was (by Hawaiian standards) and I made a joke about "welcome to the American west". It may have been more prophetic than I meant it to be.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
@Lelandjt

Or anyone else around there...

Your family and friends okay?

From what I've seen/heard, lots of carnage. So not cool. Can't imagine. Sending out the positive vibes to all in Hawaii.
Everyone I know is okay but everyone lost their homes. More than that we lost the whole town. I'm not sure I want to rebuild on that property any time soon. There's nothing nearby. The whole point was living in town, running errands on a bike, seeing everyone all the time. No stores, not town, no reason to be in Lahaina anymore. I'm in CO for the summer so it's harder on my housemates who are now homeless.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Everyone I know is okay but everyone lost their homes. More than that we lost the whole town. I'm not sure I want to rebuild on that property any time soon. There's nothing nearby. The whole point was living in town, running errands on a bike, seeing everyone all the time. No stores, not town, no reason to be in Lahaina anymore. I'm in CO for the summer so it's harder on my housemates who are now homeless.
@Lelandjt

I'm about to donate a ton of quality clothes, performance fabrics. I'm usually an L or XL. Size 11 shoes, I've got it all. You know, the Closet Purge. If you think your bros on the islands could use it, let me know. I'm up for paying for the shipping. No worries there. Just let me know.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
haven't heard from my friend since he said he was evacuating. Hopefully just dealing with more important shit than me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Heard from my friend. Everyone is safe Houses on one side of him are all gone, his place has some charred siding but is otherwise intact.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
@Lelandjt

I'm about to donate a ton of quality clothes, performance fabrics. I'm usually an L or XL. Size 11 shoes, I've got it all. You know, the Closet Purge. If you think your bros on the islands could use it, let me know. I'm up for paying for the shipping. No worries there. Just let me know.
I think clothes can be useful but I don't know where to send it. None of my friends have a mailing address anymore. You might have to google the county response. The biggest problem they have is no house or work for the forseable 2-3 years so in a few more days when reality has set in many will leave. My housemate is preggers and due in 3 weeks so they can't fly and are gonna try to stay even after the baby is born. Imagine spending the last 9 months making a nursery in our house and looking forward to raising their son in our super kid friendly neighborhood, and then right before he arrives they lose everything they own and are crashing on a friend's floor. It's just crazy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Neighbors across the alley are there. At airport. 21 hour flight delay is the word.
Delayed over a day but they’re back. Their flight got out because he, a United pilot, gave up his first class seat and piloted/co-piloted the actual flight back to the mainland. Otherwise they were going to have to cancel that flight as well.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Buddy of mine has been working in Hawaii for a while now. He just quit a project in Lahaina and hopped to another island. If he’d have stayed on the project he would’ve been in the middle of the fire.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
My college friends were on vacation and left Lahaina on Monday night. SO crazy!
Kinda cool they got to see it right before they lost the chance. In April we had our wedding in my backyard and we're so grateful for that opportunity to show our Mainland friends & family the house, town, and introduce them to our local community. It was so cool seeing all my Polynesian friends' kids playing with my Breckenridge friends' kids in the treehouse. Now all of them are so glad they came and experienced that.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I think clothes can be useful but I don't know where to send it. None of my friends have a mailing address anymore. You might have to google the county response. The biggest problem they have is no house or work for the forseable 2-3 years so in a few more days when reality has set in many will leave. My housemate is preggers and due in 3 weeks so they can't fly and are gonna try to stay even after the baby is born. Imagine spending the last 9 months making a nursery in our house and looking forward to raising their son in our super kid friendly neighborhood, and then right before he arrives they lose everything they own and are crashing on a friend's floor. It's just crazy.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Where could I send anything? Even the post office is probably burnt down. Maybe somewhere else on the island?

I had to ask the wife, but all our baby stuff has already been donated. But I feel for them. That sucks.

I saw a post from a guy in Lahaina. Saying they're letting in tourists, but not locals?!

We're talking access to the town and getting hotels. Locals need a place to stay. He was saying his company had to make reservations at hotels, so his employees could get access to the town, let alone live somewhere temporarily. Over the tourists. He was nice about it. Probably nicer than I'd be.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A local 808 joint here is doing a big fundraiser and are giving to the Red Cross and Salvation Army as they seem to be on the ground helping. I like @I Are Baboon with the food bank.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
@Lelandjt

Do you know a local, older dude, there named Fish? He makes hats?

Well there was an interview video with him. And he was walking out of town when the fires were coming and noticed a line of cars trying to leave but weren't moving. Turns out there was a police man blocking traffic. So basically all these people trying to flee in their cars, couldn't. When Fish asked the officer, the officer said he was just doing what he was told (I think he says by FEMA). Fish was like, you realize the fire is coming this way? Doesn't make sense.

Found the vid. I usually don't do tiktok. So I suck

Salty Boomer (@mrainokea) | TikTok

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
@Lelandjt

Do you know a local, older dude, there named Fish? He makes hats?

Well there was an interview video with him. And he was walking out of town when the fires were coming and noticed a line of cars trying to leave but weren't moving. Turns out there was a police man blocking traffic. So basically all these people trying to flee in their cars, couldn't. When Fish asked the officer, the officer said he was just doing what he was told (I think he says by FEMA). Fish was like, you realize the fire is coming this way? Doesn't make sense.

Found the vid. I usually don't do tiktok. So I suck

Salty Boomer (@mrainokea) | TikTok
No, don't know him but I've heard similar stories. Anything involving government on Maui has always been laughably incompetent. It' kinda like America, but also kinda like a third world country. We always accepted that as part of its charm while groaning and dealing with the government's stupidity.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Delayed over a day but they’re back. Their flight got out because he, a United pilot, gave up his first class seat and piloted/co-piloted the actual flight back to the mainland. Otherwise they were going to have to cancel that flight as well.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
joe made it to hawaii....he did story time about his kitchen fire....and his corvette that was evidently parked in the kitchen....

the people of hawaii thank you....