Quantcast

Mavic Ksyrium- weight limit?

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I bought a road bike a month or so ago and have been getting into it (seems great for DH training). Just wandering though, i weigh 250 pounds (dry), and i've heard that the ksyriums have a 200 pound weight limit. My wheels are 02 models if that helps, and they don't feel noticably flexy.

Should i switch to some new wheels? If so, what would be the go- i want light weight and stiffness.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
It sounds like you have the first generation wheels. I don't recall any of the Ksyrium models having a weight limit but you do run a higher risk of breaking spokes. It might be worth your while to pick up a set of Mavic Open Pros laced 3 cross on to Ultegra hubs for strength.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Like CF, I've never heard of a weight limit. I would also recommend 3x laced Open Pros to Ultegra or Dura Ace hubs. I have a set of those and they are fantastic for road and cyclocross use. I'd see how the Kysriums hold up before dropping coin on new wheels. They may be light weight but they are damn, damn strong wheels.

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
Ditto that. I'm nearly 200 and just completed a 4 day 5 stage race on a set of '04 Ksyrium SL's. I've been racing and training on these wheels almost exclusively for the last 8 or 9 months. Very tough wheels indeed.

Cheers!
-Ian