Quantcast

Mavic Rims

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What is the next stronger rim than the 819 Disc? My rear gave up the ghost today, so I need to re-build with something a bit stronger. Looking for UST, preferably in black.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Until Mavic goes with a ex821 you'll have to stick with a the ex823 which is meant to be a dh ust rim

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm over my UST fascination.

The build part is especially complicated, since you need to thread in the eyelets. That's added weight and you add 32 points of failure if one comes loose.

I got DT 5.1ds after I bought a 819, and Im happy.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The UST eyelets are fine. I just can't keep the rst of the spokes tight...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm over my UST fascination.

The build part is especially complicated, since you need to thread in the eyelets. That's added weight and you add 32 points of failure if one comes loose.

I got DT 5.1ds after I bought a 819, and Im happy.
The 819 wasn't meant for abuse so i'm not suprised you were far from happy with it ;) No problem with 823's so far.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Which DT rim is the old 5.10?
EX 500.

I ran 5.1s for a couple seasons,and liked them pretty well. They were actually easier to ghetto tubeless than the Stan's Flows I'm on now. A little heavier and a little narrower, but really nice rims. I'd buy them again without hesitation, just felt like trying something else. The Flows are really good too, light, wide, and are holding up really well.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is for my trail bike, but at 6'4" 220#, former semi-pro DH, "trail bike" is a loose definition. I've effectively destroyed a rear 819 in 5 rides. how much stronger are the 500's?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This is for my trail bike, but at 6'4" 220#, former semi-pro DH, "trail bike" is a loose definition. I've effectively destroyed a rear 819 in 5 rides. how much stronger are the 500's?
I've never run 819s, so I don't have much to compare by, but my 5.1s made it through ~2.5 seasons of riding a couple times a week, everything from AM/ Trail to lift served DH at Platty and the like. I beat the piss out of them, though I do only weigh ~155#.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I will be going tubeless at some point, be it ghetto, stans, or UST.

Given that I can't get a 2.35 Larsen TT in UST is leading me towards stans.

Is the 721 the old 321?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
321=729 gray style and current black style the same rim

823 tubeless 2 versions the 1st one was lighter and dented and crack the second version is great they just have to be built up correctly.

721 and 521 different rims i think.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
No problems with either the 721 (Dh bike) or the 5.1 ('everything else' bike)with stans set up. The 721 will 'require' a double layer of velox to build up the rim bed and get the tires to seat easier. The DTs set up tubeless very easy (single ply maxxis seat with hand pump every time).

The ex721 is 580g, the DT 5.1 is 500g. Your 819s are about 560g if you include the required nipple inserts. The only other possibility for a true UST rim from mavic is the 823 which is overkill for all but full on DH at 720g.

The ex721 is the old d521.

The new en521 is a completely different, lower end rim.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Typical A-hole statement from kidwoo. I wouldn't expect anything less...
That's because you're too dense to recognize light ribbing apparently. Not my fault really.

Jokels: Sounds like the 721 ghetto tubeless is right up your alley. I didn't realize the weights were that close. And you KNOW how durable those things are.

EDIT: Just BE SURE TO TIGHTEN YOUR SPOKES.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sorry, but it the en521 is not a high end Mavic product (uses 6061 rather than the more stiffer and more durable Maxtal).

The first number in their 'naming' designates the product 'level'. Odd numbers are non UST, UST rims are even mumbers. At this point, all UST rims are '7' construction and tubeless thus they are numbered '8'.

Thus, the five signifies a mid level rim, and since all of the other rims being discussed are either 7 or 8, the en521 is indeed a lower level rim.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
No problems with either the 721 (Dh bike) or the 5.1 ('everything else' bike)with stans set up. The 721 will 'require' a double layer of velox to build up the rim bed and get the tires to seat easier. The DTs set up tubeless very easy (single ply maxxis seat with hand pump every time).

The ex721 is 580g, the DT 5.1 is 500g. Your 819s are about 560g if you include the required nipple inserts. The only other possibility for a true UST rim from mavic is the 823 which is overkill for all but full on DH at 720g.

The ex721 is the old d521.

The new en521 is a completely different, lower end rim.
What weight will stans and double layer rim tape add to the 721?
Not much weight benefit over the 823 left then, i think.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What weight will stans and double layer rim tape add to the 721?
Not much weight benefit over the 823 left then, i think.
Check sicklines, they did a side by side comparison. I dont remember the weights, but the 721s ended up a little bit lighter.

There are downsides to the 823 (like any product) as well though. The sidewalls are VERY stout and seem to like to cut tires rather than deform (exact opposite of the DT 6.1s) so taking advantage of the lighter Maxxis UST tires seems to cause problems.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The 819 wasn't meant for abuse so i'm not suprised you were far from happy with it ;) No problem with 823's so far.
My 819 has been holding up. I used it a few times as a Downieville wheel, now just on XC bike.

I made a special effort to locktite the eyelets, but I have seen others come loose.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Not Mavics fault... If you feel the bead on a UST Minion, you'll realize why they tear. Run 3C's or any standard tire besides the UST Maxxis models.
Absolutely true, my point was more this:
Proponents of the 823 often claim further weight savings by running maxxis UST tires (100g or so lighter than non-UST versions) with no sealant....

Unfortunatly all that gives you is an unreliable set-up.

Going to 3Cs and stans sealant (what I run on the 721s) adds ~150g per wheel compared to the 'ideal' of UST w/o sealant.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Absolutely true, my point was more this:
Proponents of the 823 often claim further weight savings by running maxxis UST tires (100g or so lighter than non-UST versions) with no sealant....

Unfortunatly all that gives you is an unreliable set-up.

Going to 3Cs and stans sealant (what I run on the 721s) adds ~150g per wheel compared to the 'ideal' of UST w/o sealant.
I ran a Conti Der Kaiser at the tail end of this season. (FYI, the tire I had weighed a touch over 1300. It performed well in my conditions too.)

I'll continue to run my 823s any way, but this tire is a good option for gram counters...

kemosabe83

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
new jersey
All you gotta know is the EX 823 are the toughtest the company makes. Having the UST rim has no holes drilled thru the outer rim wall to weaken the structure. No one can argue the ghetto eyelet nipple setup is a bitch, but mine have loctite and are fine. Its not the lightest rim, but as close to bombproof possible in my mind.
If you run a UST tire, it is great... just make sure to put a 1/2 dose of stanz in there because u'll constantly get lil punctures. Hell stanz even repaired a cut sidewall at the bead from a flatspot impact... and it sealed it for good.

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
"Mavic EN521 - 28 mm wide, SUP welded, eyeleted and made from the finest 6106 alloy, EN521 Disc is a disc specific rim, especialy designed for enduro riding."

Seems like Mavic's answer too DT's D5.1 in other words, single run rims for WC wins!
(The stacks of D5.1 at WC's are laughable and if you ask politely they'll give you a set for free.)

Anyone tried EN521 for DH yet?

Barel's Mondraker Maribor 2009[/QUOTE:
:thumb:
my thoughts exactly. it is a pretty good rim actually. as far as in their AM series it is the upper end. gotta be plenty strong to even last one run at a WC. i wont touch a dt rim here in santa barbara and the 521 holds up fine.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
"Mavic EN521 - 28 mm wide, SUP welded, eyeleted and made from the finest 6106 alloy, EN521 Disc is a disc specific rim, especialy designed for enduro riding."

Seems like Mavic's answer too DT's D5.1 in other words, single run rims for WC wins!
(The stacks of D5.1 at WC's are laughable and if you ask politely they'll give you a set for free.)

Anyone tried EN521 for DH yet?

Barel's Mondraker Maribor 2009
I have built up one wheelset on EN521's for AM use. My friend has been very happy with them, they've held up very well with very few flat spots and minimal truing/tensioning.

Would I consider them a "one run race rim"? They'd hold up way better than a 5.1, sure. But they might flat more since its a stiffer alloy and doesn't dent so much.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
I use an en521 on the front with a ex721 in the back, it is a great combo. That being said I dont think you would have much trouble using a 521 out back for burly trail riding with a good build.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hope this helps. Found this a long time ago from one of these boards.

I think this has been answered before, but what rims are on Mavics pre-built wheels, like DeeMax, Ultimates, Crossmax SX, etc. ?

Edit (using the process of elimination and the above)
DeeMax = EX 823
Crossmax SX = XM 819
Ultimates?
Crossmax ST? (nice lil all mtn set imho)

Last edited: