Quantcast

Mavic xm719 Disc Rim

spalm12

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
Im thinking about maybe looking at some lighter rims for next season (using 721's now and have no complaints what so ever); and in my boredom I came across these bad boys and was curious to see if anyone here has ridden them and if so what are your thoughts on durability and such for an aggressive trail bike. Would also be curious to know if anyone has been able to get their hands on a pair of the new en521's.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
I've got one that I'm waiting to lace up on my mid bike. Been hammering on a set of CrossMax XL's for about a season(trail bike) and although I managed to vaporize a front wheel, I am truly impressed with what they've been through. This was my selling point on the xm719Disc, the fact that it should/might share the structural properties of the CM in a non-UST format.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
People run 819's on DH bikes, and the 719 is just the non UST version of that, so one would assume it would comfortably be able to cope :)

I'm considering going for 719's on my big bike, with skinny tubes, or 819's & UST.

Can't quite work out what will work out lighter in the end though. Might just go 819's so I have the option of UST.

spalm12

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
Word, thanks all the feed back. Like I said I've been running 721's on both the trail and the big bike now for a few season and have absolutely no complaints - but a lighter rim might be nice. Just hope it can hold up as far as durability goes.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Well I run 819's on my Blur 4X & they feel scarily light next to an 823, with a near identical weight hub. But they get used & abused for everything & they have been good thus far, so can't complain :)

Obviously they don't do so well with big fat tyres on, but running a DH16 2.2 or Maxxis 2.35 is fine (and all you need anyway!)

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Word, thanks all the feed back. Like I said I've been running 721's on both the trail and the big bike now for a few season and have absolutely no complaints - but a lighter rim might be nice. Just hope it can hold up as far as durability goes.
I have the XM719 disc as a back-up rim for my SX Trail. (mostly used for bikeparks, DH runs and some Enduro)
I'm sure that the XM719 rim isn't 'that' much weaker than a EX721.

Remember that a good wheelbuilder is the keyfactor for a strong wheel.