Quantcast

Maxxis Ardent 3c?

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
I use the 2.4 as a front tire on my trail bike, and a 2-ply 3C when conditions are very wet and sketch for extra control at lower pressure.

On the DH bike, I prefer the Minion DHF up front and the 3C Ardent in the rear wears down in less than 5 rides. It rolls faster than the High Roller or the DHF, but it has way worse braking and control.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I've had fine luck with that tire here in New England. I run them as pairs after buying a bunch on closeout. Their overall life seems shorter, due to the narrower smaller knobs I suspect. Exceptionally short as a rear tire. There wasn't really any transition time for me coming off my previous Minion DHF set up. They're predictable, and feel like a maxxis tire. Its noteworthy that I only ride them at one mountain, where I know the trails well. I can't compare them to the DHF on a venue-to-venue basis. My findings based on that are minimal difference, quicker wear, worthy alternative as a primary or back up to the DHF.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Banshee Thanks just info I was looking for I picked up a couple for dirt cheap 2.4 and 2.6 3c. I usually run a HR rear and a DHF 3c up front but I am out of DHF's and don't want to spend more money end of season if i don't have to. Most of my riding is at Diablo so I know the trails well.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Tight singletrack: under 30 really good, worked good on rooty & rocky stuff. cornered well. rolled really smooth. semi muddy-dry. (no real wet riding so far.)
Anything over 30: Fvcking scary. babyheads were really treacherous. My friends thought I was drunk. reminded me of an old tioga.
Great at highland & sunday river. going 45 at killington was something else..

Schneidie

Chimp
Apr 24, 2010
New England
They work really well in hardpack or loose over hardpack. I ran them at the US open and felt like they were great on Friday, but after it rained, they didn't do so well.
They're fun tires if you can get away with running fairly low pressure.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Used one briefly, Okay on hardpack, not so great in wet, or loose, or pretty much anything else, and wear out mighty quick.

Good thing I only paid 20$

Back to Minions and High Rollers

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, I had similar impressions.

After riding them on my 6" bike all summer....

Good: The "balloon" nature of the tire is great for traction and soaking up rocks, similar to the ADvantage. Straight line grip/breaking is pretty good. Rolls fast. Works in hardpack, and (very little) loose over hardpack. Surprising well over dry roots and rocks, but what isn't? Same for tacky dirt, works well.

Bad: Cornering "sweet spot" reminds me of a highroller, which I don't like. You really gotta lay them over to bite. I prefer Minion FR. If the "loose" in the "loose over hardpack" is deep, like more than a thin layer, they really will slide on you...more like wash out. Side knobs just aren't aggro enough IMO. I would not use them as a DH race tire.

I'd really like to see a 2.4 or 2.6 dual-ply, wire bead ADvantage, doesn't have to be UST. That would be a sweet FR/light DH tire IMO.

Last edited:

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
i ran through 2 sets of 2.4s in the first 2 months of racing, i race every weekend and push my tires very hard I am 215, ride rocky East coast race tracks and run 20-24 psi.
There is a large no-mans land between the short transition knobs and the too far over side knobs. This orientation does not suit non-aggresive cornering.
the closely spaced center knobs roll fast, but are oddly paired with the very open tread pattern in the "no mans-land" and big far out side knobs which will tear up rapidly on Diablo rocks and be sketchy on the hardpack you will ride.

that being said, for $20 i payed, and the fact that the are maxxis rubber and sidewall, they wont throw you any major curveballs they carried me to a couple podiums in Cat1 @the GES, one of which was on my first outing on the tires, so you too can figure out there grip characteristics pretty quick.

for a 20 they are a pretty great training tire

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
thank guys I got a couple really cheap and they have just been sitting I usually run a DHF 3c up front but have experimented with a Conti Der Kaiser and Schab Wicked Will.
The Conti sucks in the really dry conditions at Diablo but nice when and if it is tacky. The WW is a great front tire in the super dry, rolls fast and really bites in.
I may just resell these Ardents and pick up a DHF.