Quantcast

MAXXIS ARDENT TIRES - any good?

bad63lac

Chimp
Dec 22, 2008
North Jersey
I normally run a HR rear and a Minion DHF front. I just got an Ardent to run up front but it will be awhile before I can make any conclusions. (Ground is frozen right now)

Based on Maxxis' chart, it should be better tire up front. Supposedly is grippier and covers a broader spectrum than a DHF. I wouldnt run one on the rear.

I'm skeptical but willing to try.

A few people here have written them off already but until I try it myself I wont form any opinions.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
they look interesting...i doubt they will be all stars in mud or esp at snowshoe, that suprises me...

Minions are the pimp juice at snowshoe, the dirt can be very whistler like

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've been running them for awhile now (2.6 3C F/R). When I first got a set, I hated them. Super sketchy, little traction. They rolled really fast though.

Took them off, almost gave them away until a buddy of mine convinced me to give them another shot. I love them now.

You have to really lay the bike over in turns before those side knobs will bite. Far more than Minions. Also, if you get into any loose stuff (like we have on the sides of our trails), you will probably wash out, as the ramped center knobs don't have a lot of traction. If you get lazy with these tires, you will probably go down.

I just wish they weren't so expensive...

bad63lac

Chimp
Dec 22, 2008
North Jersey
Mailman just delivered my box of goodies from CRC. Got a 2.4 Ardent 3C to try up front.

If I dont like it, I'm going to throw a 2.5 DHF on the front (which is what I ran on my trail bike). I went with a 2.4 since all Maxxis 2.5's are really 2.4. The 2.6 is the equivalent of 2.7's.

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
I've been running a 2.4 3C on the front since July with zero dissapointment. Rode it at Vail, Winterpark, Northstar, etc. Really good traction given the low rolling resistance. Definately sheds mud better than Minions and actually works really well in Northstar's dust. Great overall tire. Don't have enough time on Minions to start saying better or worse though.
Regarding Kavurider's impressions, the 2.4 and 2.6s could behave totally differently. The size of the knobs doesn't increase with the increased volume, so you get a more spread out knob pattern. My impressions with Maxxis tires in general have been that this results in more of a dead zone between the center tread and the side knobs.
I've definately gotten a little 'lazy' with the tire and have managed to stay upright.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
in the front? i wonder if were talking about the same tire. anyway. its a fun tire, rolls fast, drifts good. but worthless for mud. not for race day

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Small thread revival.
Is there anyone that has ridden the nevegals that went over to the ardent, (actually ridden them both on dh trails)?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I've ridden just about everything, and I'm sticking to my Minions. :)

I hated my Nevegals. I ran them on a trip to Whistler and thought I was going to crash on every wet root. I never had that problem with my Minions. I tried the Nevegals at home and slid out all the time on hardpack. Im sticking to Minion DHFs. I just ordered a set of 2.5 Minions in single ply for the trail wheelset. Ill stick to the 2.5/2.7 Minion 2ply on the DH wheelset.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I was thinking about getting a set, until a local that at the place I ride in the off season told me he'd had his for about a month and wouldn't recommend him, he had the 2.4 3c, he was saying that the compound was too gummy, and that it wouldn't hook up until you really had it layed over, at which point the knobs would just fold over. I asked him what tire pressure he was running and he said 36 in the front, that he was trying 31 and it was way too soft. It was pretty evident he was ripping knobs off left and right, that tire was boned. Since he's about my size (about 160-170) and speed, I'm a bit hesitant to buy some, especially since my 3c minions easily last 7-8 months. Anybody else have trouble with folding over/ripping knobs off?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My rear was thrashed, lugs half ripped off, some almost gone and the tread is 1/3 or less and thats tamarack, Big bear (x2), webb canyon, mt wilson, bogus, bike park (x6), and some local mtn stuff. Overall they wore pretty quick and ripped apart but honestly Id run a soft compound again based on how many times it saved my butt being soft and sticking to stuff! Less Injurys and broken parts is worth the extra tire wear.

Im sporting the Muddy Marys in guey gluey now and will cross between the gooey and triple nano. As far as Maxxis compounds I liked 3cs and 40d slow reezay. Both were great tires but wore fast as do the guey glueys.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've been running them for awhile now (2.6 3C F/R). When I first got a set, I hated them. Super sketchy, little traction. They rolled really fast though.

Took them off, almost gave them away until a buddy of mine convinced me to give them another shot. I love them now.

You have to really lay the bike over in turns before those side knobs will bite. Far more than Minions. Also, if you get into any loose stuff (like we have on the sides of our trails), you will probably wash out, as the ramped center knobs don't have a lot of traction. If you get lazy with these tires, you will probably go down.

I just wish they weren't so expensive...
Kav - if you want a rear tire that initiates drifts relatively easily, then would you say the Ardent would be a good candidate? Does it break loose predictibly but then suddenly grip after reaching an extreme lean angle? After the drift starts with a rear Ardent, what are it's characteristics? While in a drift, does the rear tire re-gain grip as speed decreases, or does it just keep sliding and then suddenly hook-up? Just curious.