Quantcast

Maxxis DH tyre guide

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The PDF gives you some blurb about each tyre, explaining how the cross-knob-cuts on DHRs help with braking, and the along-knob-cuts on the DHF help with cornering. Doesn't answer your question really, I know.. :)

Craig Quik

Chimp
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland
Well, as you might expect, the DHR & DHF have very different tread patters, but it does seem kinda odd the Minion namesake don't match up over anything except for "medium" conditions.
Yeah I know what the tread patterns are like, but I'd have thought that if they were designed to be used as a pair then they'd suit similar conditions.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
perhaps that was the intent (thus the F/R in the names), though the actual usage has turned out to be different once they hit the real world and the product names have not been changed for such an "update."

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've heard good things about Ardents, not tried them yet.

Anyone know when we'll be seeing what Michelin are currently cooking up?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
so the ardent is about the same as the minion DHF but wth a wider range of use?

is that really true or just maketing blabla?
I'd say it's marketing. I spoke with a Maxxis engineer right after the Ardents came out, and he told me (in no uncertain terms) that the Minion DHF is much more versatile than the Ardent and will perform much better in medium and loose terrain.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
sooo thats the exact opposite of what the graphic above shows...

got to love all that ****
did that engineer state what he thinks is the ideal terrain for the ardent?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
nobody buys anything but minion DHFs, swampthing/wetscreams, and highrollers. Everybody knows the minion is bomb.com. this is another way for them to push the ardent. Then, if people don't like it, they'll be back to buy the minion.

Its like crack dealers pushing a new flavor of crack. Even if it doesn't work out, they'll be back for more of the good stuff.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So the Minion DHR is supposed to be better for hardpack than the HighRoller? That sounds like a bunch of crap. The DHR does really well on wet roots and such with the sipings it has. On hardpack and slickrock it gets straight up squirmy, like moreso than the Minion DHF. On hardpack nothing that they make beats the Highroller, front or rear.

No idea on the Ardent though, haven't used one.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I put an Ardent on the front of my trail bike for some very dry loose over hard conditions this weekend. Maybe it was just super loose, but things felt sketchy. Once I got in the woods, things felt better.
I have not verified on a scale, but I would bet they are quite a bit lighter than a DHF. The tire felt very high volume and had less rubber. On a AM bike, the Ardent is a winner. I also think the tread pattern will shed mud better than the DHF. Again, just speculation.

I love the highroller, but I won't run them on hardpack cause they wear so fast. That is where the DHF shines.

GTIgor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
Moscow, Russia
I put an Ardent on the front of my trail bike for some very dry loose over hard conditions this weekend. Maybe it was just super loose, but things felt sketchy. Once I got in the woods, things felt better.
I have not verified on a scale, but I would bet they are quite a bit lighter than a DHF. The tire felt very high volume and had less rubber. On a AM bike, the Ardent is a winner. I also think the tread pattern will shed mud better than the DHF. Again, just speculation.

I love the highroller, but I won't run them on hardpack cause they wear so fast. That is where the DHF shines.
Same thing about Ardent - I used 2.25 (it has lower and smoller knobs then 2.4) on my AM bike, its great AM tire couse it hase super high prifile/volume and low weight, but it felt really scetchy in loose conditions

I also noticed it felt strange while entering a hardpack corner - when you go from center knobs to side knobs there`s no grip feel - not very confidence inspiring, but later while railing it feels good

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Generally speaking it's a guide to give some advice for potential owners.
The Ardent's with 40a soft side knobs flex or bend when cornering so they feel squirmy. This is because the outer tread has a thin profile - so they aren't as sturdy as Minion side knobs.
Just run the 60 compound and it doesn't happen as easy- they are pretty good from hardpack to wet conditions.
The Ardents are over 100 grams lighter per tire, so they make for a good race
tire when it's not terribly loose.

Last edited: