Quantcast

maxxis minion tire question

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
hey, i am going to buy a 2.5 maxxis minion f, and i was wondering what is the diffrence between the 40a, 60a, and tacky versions?? i dont know much about tires, so anything will be helpful.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
60a - hard compound, lasts a long time
40a - very soft compound, typically lasts about a weekend or two of racing depending on how you go through tires
42a - soft compound - supposed to last longer than 40a but generally are prone to having the knobs ripped off after they are used for a bit

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh really man. 50a would be killer for weekend rides, and all of your training purposes. then you could get your 42a for your race weekends. i likey.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
60a - hard compound, lasts a long time
40a - very soft compound, typically lasts about a weekend or two of racing depending on how you go through tires
42a - soft compound - supposed to last longer than 40a but generally are prone to having the knobs ripped off after they are used for a bit
Edit:

60a- new, plastic compound made from recycled lego
42a- good all round racer boy comp
40a- leaves rubber all the way down the trail, but hooks up like hell

And the one you missed:
3C- Combination tire: 70a (old lego block) base layer, 42a crown (top of tire), 40a shoulder

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I use 42a in front and 50a or 42a in rear.
Usually Minion R for front and rear.
wow, thats suprising, the R isnt too bad id never consider using as a front tyre

on the compound side of things ive been riding the 40a for a quite a while now and am suprised how long they last. Both of my tyres are in quite good condition considering how long they have been ridden and that they are prone to quick wear. I do try to limit any on road use though

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I bought some 50a High Rollers from BTI I think and they lasted a long time but they hooked up pretty well too.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Great tires, had a brand new set up in Mammoth which killed the rear very quickly. They were great in the loose stuff up there for the most part. But some of the runs there i.e Kamakazi just begin to rip treads off. But other then that they have been great, im talk about the super tacky.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That's really not true, I usually get 4-6 months of riding 2-3 days a week out of them.

They can get torn up on the rear especially if you lock up a lot, but the front ones last for ages - and if you develop a better braking technique the rear ones go a while too.

They do have noticeably better traction than the 60a's IMO, but i'd love to run a 50a on the rear... pity we don't get them here and once you include postage it'd prolly be better to just get 2x 40a's.

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
My thoughts too. One of the worst straight-line braking tires. Plus, the knobs are too floaty for the front. Actually, not good in the back either except when absolutely new.
What?

It breaks almost as a Mobster but is not as slow. DHF is fast tire, doesn't break a s*it, and turns well. I Think is a great mix between the best of a DHF and a Mobster.

Jin

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
60a does last long but doesn't grip very well. i reackon if its for front even the 40a would last a while

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
What?

It breaks almost as a Mobster but is not as slow. DHF is fast tire, doesn't break a s*it, and turns well. I Think is a great mix between the best of a DHF and a Mobster.
Well that's understandable. Both those tires aren't stellar at braking either (straight, stand up braking). They all would be if they have a good square-edged knob going down the middle, similar to a Comp24.

That said, when they're new they perform fine, but its when the knobs start to wear is when their performance goes down the ****ter.

dan the man

Chimp
Sep 30, 2006
in a cold dark place
hey, i am going to buy a 2.5 maxxis minion f, and i was wondering what is the diffrence between the 40a, 60a, and tacky versions?? i dont know much about tires, so anything will be helpful.
Since you are buying Maxxis and you say your knowledge with tires is limited, I think I should give you a heads up on tire size. When you buy Maxxis tires be prepared to get one size smaller then what you are expecting. their tire sizing is off... way off! Since you are getting 2.5's, what you are really getting will be the 2.3's. But if you want true 2.5 tires then order the 2.7's

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I think the Slow Reezaay or 40 last longer too. The Super Tacky or 42 lose side knobs like crazy.

The DHF is a great braking tire in all conditions. I love the DHF on the front and rear. I think Ive tried almost every tire out there and these work the best for my type of riding.

Jin

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Since you are buying Maxxis and you say your knowledge with tires is limited, I think I should give you a heads up on tire size. When you buy Maxxis tires be prepared to get one size smaller then what you are expecting. their tire sizing is off... way off! Since you are getting 2.5's, what you are really getting will be the 2.3's. But if you want true 2.5 tires then order the 2.7's
makes no difference they all have 2ply except the 2.3 ones (i think)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
makes no difference they all have 2ply except the 2.3 ones (i think)

Tire size makes a huge difference. Personally, the 2.7 is too big. The Maxxis 2.5 is a great sized tire. Not rediculously heavy but it still has a very puncture resistant side wall. If you want something even lighter, they make the 2.35 in both 2 ply and single ply.

The 60a is still better than most companies "sticky" rubber. They do slide a bit on hardpack, but they last forever. Great whistler rear tire and cheap to boot. If you're going to be racing, go for the ST.

Go for the DHF or the mobster. The mobster can be found VERY cheap right now. This is still a great all around tire and much better than the DHR. I'm not sure why they still make the DHR. Everyone I trust only runs the DHF f and r.

kohoy

Chimp
May 1, 2006
I used 42a Minior R as front tire and Highroller 50a as rear for almost a year without any problem...I do like the feeling that both F&R wheels are lossing grip while doing some high speed turn... :biggrin:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
They do make a 2.3 in a 2 ply. You just have to order from Chainreaction.com. I have a brand new set sitting in the garage. Cheap, even with shipping.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Go for the DHF or the mobster. The mobster can be found VERY cheap right now. This is still a great all around tire and much better than the DHR. I'm not sure why they still make the DHR. Everyone I trust only runs the DHF f and r.

BYO i can tell you there is a reason for the DHR f+r use down here. tire selection is of course very terrain dependant and it happens most riding down here during the summer is on very slippery, bone dry either loamy or sandy soil.
ive been to the other side of the andes and the argentinians run that combo a lot too, whereas my racer friends never even bother to pack mobsters or much dhr's when going racing in europe or north america.
bottom line is dhr works great when you want an aggressive (slow) tire to float and be able to brake, esp on offcamber sections (we have a lot of that) , the profile is a bit rounder than the mobster so it complements it well.