Quantcast

Maxxis Mobsters + Larsen TT's?

Robusto

Monkey
On Jenson they're basically giving these away. Right now I'm running Minions on the DH bike, and Holy Rollers on the slalom/urban hardtail. Would the Mobsters be good tires for the East Coast, and would it be worth it to buy the Larsen TT's for slalom/trail riding, and use the holy rollers for DJ's and Urban riding?

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
also, look at the shipping quote from jenson...

I was gonna buy a set for the hell of it ($10 ea.) but they wanted $27 just for shipping.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Mobsters & High-rollers work very well in loose conditions. They do roll slow......but hook up great when the trail is super rocky and loose. I've run Mobsters for a long time now and have no complaints.

Larsen TT are good for DJ/4x type stuff but really aren't that great for DH/FR riding because of the lack of side knobs. They do roll fast....that is for sure.

Jenson USA always has decent deals.......just the damm shipping is so much. If you could get a discount on the shipping I'd say go for it but for $27 for shipping it'll kill you on tires. Though $10 is cheap any way you slice it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I dig mobsters for a rear tire.

Look at the flat surface area on top of the knobs. Then look at the hard sharp edges on the center knobs of a highroller that compress........there's no way a mobster rolls any slower than a highroller.

I'd still go with a highroller or minion dhf in the front.......and always do.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Anyone know where 42a Larsens can be found? Team riders still get them, but none of the distributers seem to be able to get em.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
East coast? Rocky, rooty, wet, & muddy? If it's deep mud w/rocks under you might want a dedicated mud tread like a 2.5" 40 duro Maxxis Swampthing, which actually works fairly well in dryer conditions also. If the soil doesn't pack up on your tires when wet you could go for Kenda Nevegals 2.5" DH Sticky, which is the most versatile tire available right now. But in all likelyhood, if you get rid of your Minions you will miss them dearly. If you find your Minions hooking up on your home trails, do this: 2 Minion DHF (F is Front, yes 2 of them front and rear) 2.5" 3C compound. These tires will let you turn fast . That is good. for slalom tires: 2.35" Highroller front and a 2.35" Larson in the back. Do not run a Larsen in front.

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
The larsen can be alittle sketchy in front, but I've gotten to like it. I didn't at first though. It's good in front for street or hardpack (like BMX tracks). It only gets really sketchy with loose rocks over hardpack. I run a 2.35 42a larsen in front and a 2.35 60a highroller semislick in back on my slalom/DJ/street bike. I've been very happy with it.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
The larsen can be alittle sketchy in front, but I've gotten to like it. I didn't at first though. It's good in front for street or hardpack (like BMX tracks). It only gets really sketchy with loose rocks over hardpack. I run a 2.35 42a larsen in front and a 2.35 60a highroller semislick in back on my slalom/DJ/street bike. I've been very happy with it.
With so many good front tires for slalom available, why choose one that "can be a little skecky in the front"? If it's really hardpack or turning is a non issue, there are still more appropriate fronts for a slalom bike. For hardpack places like a BMX track try Kenda Short-tracker 2.1" DTC front and rear. They will roll much faster than Larsens and work better in the front due to a slightly less round profile with sticky shoulders.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
ive never had 42a tires before. i put these on my singlespeed urban/jump rig and the rolling resistence was insane. i woulda had to change the rear cog by 4th to make it pedal on the pavement. so i switched back to my launches and saving these for a trail ride :poster_oops:

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Yeah, soft compound tires just roll slow. Doesn't matter what the tread pattern is, they just roll slow. That's why the current big deal in tire design is multiple compound tires. Kenda, Maxxis, Intense, everybody either is doing multi compound or they will by interbike.