Quantcast

Maxxis Mobster's?

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Is the Maxxis Mobster a good rear tire for downhilling on dry, rocky terrain? Keep in mind i would be getting a 2.5 soft compound tire, unless I' am told otherwise by one of you. Could you also explain why not just a yes or no thank you.:)

-Adam

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yes, they are very stable through rocky stuff, i had some, and they were awesome, my only problem was it took me forever to get them on my rim, but thats probably cause they were brand new. but they keep you stuck to the ground on sketchy terrain. but if you wanted a step up from that. i'd get the minion dhf and dhr. (front and rear set) they are the best, i had those on when i went to utah, and they are awesome for downhill. so yeah.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have 60d highrollers. The harder compound will last much longer. Unless you are a tire/suspension whore, you probably won't notice much of a difference (if any).

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I have a mobster in 60D on the front of my bike and it's been great. the soft rubber may have issues but in the 60 they've been awsome.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Uhh yeah, I think Maxxis had developed the Mobster's for trails like Santa Barbara (loose and rocky). I wanna say one of their riders or company guys lived or liked to ride our trails and helped develop a tire that worked great on it.

Mobster front/High roller rear or both combo's work well. I run Mobsters front and rear and have no issues. The 60D will work fine and sometimes you can find the 60d on closeout or sales for the low $20 mark.

You do notice the different with SRY or ST rubber compounds but for the price you'll eat them quickly. If anything et a SRY or ST front and run a 60D in the rear. Front tires usually last alot longer than the softer compounds.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Spunger said:
Uhh yeah, I think Maxxis had developed the Mobster's for trails like Santa Barbara (loose and rocky). I wanna say one of their riders or company guys lived or liked to ride our trails and helped develop a tire that worked great on it.

u are thinking of colin baily and the highroller..get a super tacky highroller 2.5 front and rear...best tire for sb hands down

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Adam Novatt said:
Is the Maxxis Mobster a good rear tire for downhilling on dry, rocky terrain? Keep in mind i would be getting a 2.5 soft compound tire, unless I' am told otherwise by one of you. Could you also explain why not just a yes or no thank you.:)

-Adam
I'm running 2.7 slow rezays front and rear on my DH bike right now. They work great here in San Diego. We have all types of dirt, sand, rocks and urban. Very impressed with the Mobsters. I have also used Minions, High Rollers in 2.35 and 2.5 and 2.35 Brian Lopes Bling Blings, I like the Mobsters better than the Minions for the rocks.

The BL Blings are a great trail bike tire and I didn't care much for the High Rollers so I used them for rear tires with Minions on front. If you have a choice I would get SR or ST for front and 60 for rear so they last longer.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
yup, soft tire sticks better but wears out faster and knobs break off and/or rip part way off the casing.

If you got the coin to buy new tires often or you are racing then SRY's are best.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
wydopen said:
u are thinking of colin baily and the highroller..get a super tacky highroller 2.5 front and rear...best tire for sb hands down
Colin Bailey - Minion set
John Kirkaldie was the developer of the High Roller (I think). I am sure about Bailey with the Minions though.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bomberboy11 said:
Colin Bailey - Minion set
John Kirkaldie was the developer of the High Roller (I think). I am sure about Bailey with the Minions though.
Derin Stockton was the tire designer for Maxxis when the Mobster and High Roller were developed. And yes, he is from the left coast. Then he went to ITS and then to run the Syndicate. Now he is Ivan Tedesco's trainer.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
I've ran both the HR and the Nevegal through the SB trails and as much as I like the highroller front, I don't think that there is anything better than Kenda stick-e rubber for dry rock. Run whatever you want on the rear.