Quantcast

Maxxis SRY vs ST

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I am going back to Whistler in a few weeks and cant decide on a tire combo. I ran 2.5 60D Minion F and R last month and it worked well. I want to change the front tire to a 2.7 Minion but I cant decide on a SRY or a ST. The tire will only be used for Whistler and then taken off. Which tire?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I did a search and got a lot of info but I need just a little more info to make a decision. Thanks :thumb:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
SRY -- sticks better, wears out slower.
ST -- knobs just chunk and fall off.

pretty simple, really...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So which has better traction? The tire only has to last about 4 days at Whistler. Im thinking the ST will have better traction till the knobs tear off.... right?

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
I believe the lower the number the stickier the compound. I have the 40a SRY and the wear quick but even and great right out of the "box". Some believe they wear out at the same pace. ???

"The new Minion tires are the tread of choice for both the Maxxis team and the Foes team, thanks in part to the new slow-rebounding SRY (Slow-Reezaay) rubber compound. SRY rolls faster, wears better, and hooks up better than Super Tacky rubber."
snagged from go-ride

DHTRAVELER

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
TEXAS
I have run several combos at whistler. The best so far has been the SRY 2.7 Minion R on the front, yes the front, and a SRY 2.7 Highroller on the rear using those lightweight DH michelin tubes. I have done 2.5 ST Minion Fr and R, 2.5 ST Minion Fr on front Highroller ST 2.5 on back and so on...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I still have some STs that I am using (ok, the rear is pretty bad now). They worked well, stuck like crazy. The SRYs could be better, but the ST is not bad traction wise, it's well above many other tires I've had and used. Kinda like the mich 24.1s I've used, they wore out fast but stuck like glue while they lasted. I'm not saying the SRY isn't better, but the ST aint bad.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
From what I've heard, the SRY is 50 durometer below with the 40a on top, with is why the corner knobs don't fold over and last longer. This could be wrong, but I remember hearing that somewhere. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, personally I've had much better luck with the SRY's vs. the ST's. 2.5 Minion F on the front, 2.5 Roller on the rear. Proven and reliable combo that corners like balls, brakes anywhere, and rarely packs up.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
with the minion i did not feel that much of a difference between the 40a SR and the 42a ST, but the SR wears slower.

so my advice would be go withthe 40a in front and put a 60a in the rear.
40a as a rear tire only lasts a few hours

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
DßR said:
SRY -- sticks better, wears out slower.
ST -- knobs just chunk and fall off.

pretty simple, really...
Right on the money!

The only time I ever found the ST's to work better is in wet conditions.
I would go with the SRY front and rear.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I just mounted a 2.7" Minion DHF SRY and 2.5 High Roller 60a on the front and rear of the DHR yesterday. Both with Michelin C6 tubes - going to give that combo a try at N* this weekend. Should be interesting since this is going to be my first time trying out Maxxis tires.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If there is a lot of hard cornering I'd go with a ST in the front or if there is a lot of straight line rock sections I'd go with a SRY. For the rear I race ST and train with 60d.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I run Minion SRY single ply 2.35's on my FR wheels, and Minion SRY dual ply 2.7's on my DH wheels.

So based on the fact that I don't know what the hell I am talking about, that must be the wrong thing to do :D

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I really dont care which wears faster as I only need it to last about 4-5 days at Whistler. Im just trying to decide which one has more traction.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Which is more important; hard cornering or rock gardens? If you're going to be doing a lot of cornering I'd go with ST front and rear. If there are a lot of rock gardens and you want good traction there, the go for a SRY on the front, but I always ride with ST in rear unless I'm doing a lot of training. I think the SRY 'deadens' out rough rock sections a little better than the ST, but is a little flexier in the corners.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
profro said:
Which is more important; hard cornering or rock gardens? If you're going to be doing a lot of cornering I'd go with ST front and rear. If there are a lot of rock gardens and you want good traction there, the go for a SRY on the front, but I always ride with ST in rear unless I'm doing a lot of training. I think the SRY 'deadens' out rough rock sections a little better than the ST, but is a little flexier in the corners.
but wouldn't the SRY work better for really loose, powdery corners?

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
I was just up in BC, (Kamloops, Shore, and Whistler). And I ran a 2.5 Minion DHF SRY on the front and a 2.5 Minion DHF ST and they worked well.

I should have brought the 2.7's though...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
SpaZwEll said:
I was just up in BC, (Kamloops, Shore, and Whistler). And I ran a 2.5 Minion DHF SRY on the front and a 2.5 Minion DHF ST and they worked well.

I should have brought the 2.7's though...

First off you suck Jeff. :p I heard you had an awesome time, plus I heard the ladies. ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Acadian said:
but wouldn't the SRY work better for really loose, powdery corners?
I have no idea what that is. :p

I think its very personal. The only place I can tell a difference between the two is under the condidions I mentioned. For me I find the ST to bounce a little too much over rocks, but the SRY tends to stick a little better, but it tends to fold a little easier under heavy braking and cornering.

The Maxxis team almost runs ST exclusively, whereas the Mad Catz team uses the SRY exclusively. Go figure.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
just what i was thinking lol.

got SRY on my rig and for nc riding they will do me good alot of sloppy trails with some good rocky sections so i need the extra stick they provide. i would deffinatly recomend them for whistler. (spell check needed). there seems to me technical soupy trails up there cause of the rain and with all of the rock gardens up there i would go with the extra sticky tires lol.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've ridden a couple times with a guy who uses kenda tires and he rips, it must be the kenda tires that make him faster because I'm taller than he is and I make more money. :rolleyes:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Kornphlake said:
I've ridden a couple times with a guy who uses kenda tires and he rips, it must be the kenda tires that make him faster because I'm taller than he is and I make more money. :rolleyes:
hahaha...but - Don't make fun of Kenda tires...I've heard nothing but great things about them (Blue Groove and Nevegal)!! I would love to try a set.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
ive also heard nothin but good things from them and they seem to be very fast rolling tires which is always a plus when the rare incident comes that you need to ride up hill :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu . or when you just have to race the guy who has to beat you cause his bikes more expensive. lol but get the srys

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Minion Fronts both front and rear have been THE tire combo of choice for many a person. Super Tacky Tires chunk and give ok traction, Slow Reezay wears evenly and sticks awesome.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Acadian said:
well since the MC guys are faster - that means the SRY is better!! :rolleyes: ;)
Yeah, but Steve Peat uses ST Higrollers almost exclusively. And I saw the Minaar was riding ST Highrollers in 2.35 at Snowshoe during practice!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
profro said:
Yeah, but Steve Peat uses ST Higrollers almost exclusively. And I saw the Minaar was riding ST Highrollers in 2.35 at Snowshoe during practice!
I also noticed that...but Peat sometimes uses a front Minion! But ya...most of the time they are on HRs

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
From our experience (granted the dirt is different in Utah than it is up north), the SRY is better in nearly all conditions except mud. The ST rubber definitely sheds mud better, but it give up performance everywhere else. It seems to me that the tires wear at roughly the same rate, with the edge going to SRY as far as durability going. SRY is a softer rubber but it has a different carbon compound that helps it roll a little faster, and because the rubber is slow-rebounding it brakes and corners better. Basically our recommendation is always to go ST if it's going to be muddy (generally this means if you're going to be running High Rollers or Swamp Things), SRY if it's going to be mostly dry, or only wet to the point where traction is awesome. We sell SRY tires about 10:1 over ST except Swamp Things. I don't know that we've sold a 2.7 Minion F or R in ST at all in the last three weeks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jesus christ, It's whistler. That place has traction with road tires. I started with 40-50 durometer intense and maxxis tires, tore one up, didn't like the other and then just used some old 60d WTB tires. Whistler traction was not an issue when I was up there. Unless of course there's a benefit with sticky rubber on wet wood.........

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Since Whistler and the NS have been getting a lot of rain lately...... Would it be better to run 2.7 ST front and rear? or SRY front and rear? Sounds like the ST is better for mud right? Whistler is real wet right now and we leave in a week.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've got an idea... Get the 60d. :)

nah, try a SRY in the front and a ST in the rear. But I never run 2.7 front tires unless its super high speed with big hits.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I run Minion F&R 2.5 60Ds all season but I felt like I needed a bigger tire and a sticky compound at the Shore the last time I was there. Thanks for all the info

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Kanter, A bunch of friends and I rode Plattekill Saturday. I was the only one running Minion 2.7 sticky's front and rear. On are last time up the hill it started to rain and by the time we were riding down, I was all smiles :thumb:

Other guys on 60d tires and other brands were sliding all over the place while I was hooking up at very nearly the same as dry terrain. A couple of the people has SRY 2.5 and 2.7 and they also were doing quite well in the wet. Since I didn't try their bikes I can't say if the Stickys were better or not. I can say that they gave me plenty of confidence to open it up in the rain.

Instigator

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
Instigator said:
Kanter, A bunch of friends and I rode Plattekill Saturday. I was the only one running Minion 2.7 sticky's front and rear. On are last time up the hill it started to rain and by the time we were riding down, I was all smiles :thumb:

Other guys on 60d tires and other brands were sliding all over the place while I was hooking up at very nearly the same as dry terrain. A couple of the people has SRY 2.5 and 2.7 and they also were doing quite well in the wet. Since I didn't try their bikes I can't say if the Stickys were better or not. I can say that they gave me plenty of confidence to open it up in the rain.

Instigator
And open it up you did my friend. I ran 60d 2.5 mobsters @ 38psi and the only trouble I had was from off camber/wet roots. I like to roll fast and I'm willing to trade traction for speed.

DHTRAVELER

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
TEXAS
Kanter, I have been here at whistler for the past week and nothing but rain. As posted earlier I am running the Minion Fr 2.7 SR on front and Highroller 2.7 SR on rear and the only time I notice its wet is when on wood or slickrock and even then its no big deal. Other times I don't even notice that its muddy except for the fact that I'm covered in it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
If only I was rich or a pro...so many Maxxis tire combo I would like to try!!!
Minion or HR
ST or SRY
2.5 or 2.7
etc...

I might just get Minion DHF SRY's for the front (2.7) and rear (2.5) and give that a try. The Minion DHF seems to have a rounder profile than the HR...Wonder why some riders pick the HR over the Minion?