Quantcast

May be moving to New Orleans, anywhere to ride?

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I am a bit concerned as I come from the Pacific Northwest where there are trails everywhere. Where do people mountain bike in and around New Orleans?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Originally posted by smedford
I am a bit concerned as I come from the Pacific Northwest where there are trails everywhere. Where do people mountain bike in and around New Orleans?
run!!, run forrest!, run!!!

(well, at least while you can. new orleans kinda get old after one mardi gras).

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by smedford
seriously, Bude, MS the homochitto state park or something...has some trails. I have never beeen but it might be the best "close" to NOLA. I think in northern LA off of I-20 are some trails. ask N8 he is in northern LA. nothing like where you are from I am sure.

Runbuddha

Chimp
Feb 17, 2004
Tennessee
I just got back from spring break around there and from what I've seen doesn't look good. Pretty much all swamp land and flat. GoodLuck

bayourider

Chimp
Apr 12, 2004
Hey- while Louisiana is definately not comparable to the pac north west, it does have some fun riding if you know where to look. Most of the terrain is pretty flat so don't expect a lot of long climbs/ elevation changes especially down in NOLA. I live in Baton Rouge and we have a public trail system (Brec's hooper rd and comite) that is not too bad. Other fun places are Lincoln Parish Park in Ruston, LA and as mentioned earlier in the post Homochitto National Park(Clearsprings) in Bude, MS. Clearsprings is the hands down winner for best trail around, definately worth the drive. But as you'll learn, most of your training miles will be on the road/levee. anyway good luck -b

nhfreeride1

Chimp
Mar 20, 2004
I lived down in New Orleans for 5 years and never traded in my mtn. bike for a roadie. The trails in the area really blow, so you just have to get pysched for urban. If you follow the levee bike trail out of town towards Kenner there is a dirt jump park off to the left before the bike trails turns from pavement to gravel.

There is a network of trails in Baton Rouge that is OK - Hooper Road park. There are some dirt jumps and several technical descents, but nothing exciting. Another spot I hit is Tunica Hills north of Baton Rouge.

The best riding is definitely about 450 miles away in any direction. There are good trails in Northern Alabama, better trails in N. Georgia and N. Carlonia, okay trails past San Antonio in the Texas hill country.

You should pick up a book called "Mountain Biking in the Deep South" - Falcon Guide. I kept myself occupied trying bunch of the rides.