Quantcast

may need a new wheel

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My rear rim got beat up pretty bad last ride. If I can not true it, I'll have to get a new one. Let me tell you, I am a completely uneducated on bike maintenance.

Can anyone recommend a good built wheel? Looks like most rims come bare, and you have to add the spokes and hubs yourself. I can't do that myself, so I'd have to either buy a whole wheel, or take the parts to a bike shop or to VTinCT ;) to get the wheel built.

Or I can just listen to the wife and start shopping for a new bike.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
My rear rim got beat up pretty bad last ride. If I can not true it, I'll have to get a new one. Let me tell you, I am a completely uneducated on bike maintenance.

Can anyone recommend a good built wheel? Looks like most rims come bare, and you have to add the spokes and hubs yourself. I can't do that myself, so I'd have to either buy a whole wheel, or take the parts to a bike shop or to VTinCT ;) to get the wheel built.

Or I can just listen to the wife and start shopping for a new bike.
Just take it to a shop and have it rebuilt, then whlie your there start shopping for a new bike:D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Baboon, I've always bought custom built rims, but Bike World has wheelset deals pretty often...depends how much $$ you want to spend.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Heidi
Baboon, I've always bought custom built rims, but Bike World has wheelset deals pretty often...depends how much $$ you want to spend.
I don't care about cost, although I don't want to spend $600 on a wheel. That's frickin' a third of a new bike, and part of the reason I am considering upgrading my bike (my Rocky Mountain Spice seems to be having a problem lugging my 180 pound fat ass around).

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
IAB, take a look at PricrePoint's site today. I've seen pre-built SunRynoLites on XT hubs for sub $150!!:cool: Yeah, they're pre-built, but they will rock for your weight, and get you through in style until your new rig is up and rolling! Let em spin for 20 miles or so, then true em up...they should hold up fine.

:monkey:
(thnk the maker that the :monkey: is back!)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by VTinCT
IAB, take a look at PricrePoint's site today. I've seen pre-built SunRynoLites on XT hubs for sub $150!!:cool: Yeah, they're pre-built, but they will rock for your weight, and get you through in style until your new rig is up and rolling! Let em spin for 20 miles or so, then true em up...they should hold up fine.

:monkey:
(thnk the maker that the :monkey: is back!)

$95 for the pair at Pricepoint. :)

Heidi, thanks for the link. I didn't have that.