Quantcast

Mazda3 Owners ?

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Ok I did a search and couldn't find any info but it does look like quite a few of you monkeys are Mazda3 owners. My question is do any of you have hitch mount racks that you're using and if so what kind of hitch do you have?

The reason I ask is I can only find a class 1 hitch for the 3 and its only rated for 200lbs tongue weight. I would like to put a Thule T2 or Saris Cycle On rack to haul my bikes. I plan on having 2 40-45lbs DH bikes on the back and when you factor in the weight of the rack I'm getting close to the weight limit of the hitch. Just curious if anyone is running a similar setup or any thoughts on whether I should even worry about it. My main concern is longevity as I don't want to be driving down the road some day and have a couple grand worth of bikes fall off the back.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Go to a Mazda3 enthusiast website, they can help you find the right hitch.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Mazda 3? Nope, no gays here - besides MTBs look WAY more cool on a roof rack. :)
I already have a roof rack for the bikes and although it does make the car look cool when its all loaded up, it kills the gas mileage. Plus the rack moves all over the place, scratching the hell out of my roof and door sills.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I already have a roof rack for the bikes and although it does make the car look cool when its all loaded up, it kills the gas mileage. Plus the rack moves all over the place, scratching the hell out of my roof and door sills.
Yeah, I pick coolness over economy a little too often. :monkeydance:

I wouldn't like the idea of all my crap sliding around on the roof... something must be wrong with the mounting system.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
The rack is a Yakima rack and is mounted properly, but it seems with my car it doesn't do well with 2 40+ lbs bikes mounted on it. I have the type of rack that holds the bike by the front wheel so the center of gravity is pretty high up and it can put a lot of stress on the rest of the rack system. Carrying anything else like cargo boxes or snowboards it does just fine.