Quantcast

MBC's first impressions of the droid

First off don't let best buy screw you!! I logged into Verizon's website yesterday AM and saw that I was eligible for the Droid at $150 ($299 - less instant online rebate $100 less ne2 discount $50). Best Buy tried to charge me $199 - Don't you worry, I made them fix that.

Things I love: SUPER SLICK! Surfing is fast, going in between apps is fast and oh yeah, the phone sounds pretty good too (although I tested it by calling my grandmother who can't hear all that well anyway LOL)

Thinks I HATE: the charger is NOT standard mini USB. C'MON PEOPLE!!! I Have a house full of those and now I need to get this proprietary Motorola crap? Not cool. ALSO it does not support direct sync with outlook. However, since I am already tied to gmail, I exported my outlook contacts to a csv and imported them into gmail and all is well (my google calendar is already auto sync'ing with my outlook calendar). So this was completely my fault for not researching it before I bought it. I THOUGHT that would be a given. My bad :rolleyes:

Today is day 2 and we're off and running..... more to report later.....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I saw the Droid at the store and briefly played around with it, very tempting but I'm going to wait until Spring or Summer - however long my battery lasts in my Pearl - its still going strong all day and data plan is expensive vs email only for $10 extra.

The Droid has micro USB port (the new standard for phones now) for charging and it works fine with third party chargers, they had it hooked up to a rocketfish charger. Its not like motorola products of the past were there is software handshake that locks out third party chargers.

The Droid has micro USB port (the new standard for phones now) for charging and it works fine with third party chargers, they had it hooked up to a rocketfish charger. Its not like motorola products of the past were there is software handshake that locks out third party chargers.
Yeah I figured that out after the fact - still doesn't change the fact that my house is full of MINI USB and now I have to get MICROS LOL

Music - it's ON! The 16gb card included seems pretty big to me too!

next....on to apps!

Last edited:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Very cool! It's nice to see the Iphone get some real competition. I love my IPhone but Apple is getting a little too comfortable raking in big profits from the IPhone and not doing enough to improve the platform. Now the rest of the cel phone industry is going to have to get their act together and start supplying decent smart phones too.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Very cool! It's nice to see the Iphone get some real competition. I love my IPhone but Apple is getting a little too comfortable raking in big profits from the IPhone and not doing enough to improve the platform. Now the rest of the cel phone industry is going to have to get their act together and start supplying decent smart phones too.
The non-hyped reality is that smartphones are still a fraction of cellular handset sales and even then Apple is still not leading or growing faster than the true market leaders.

RIM (mature/old and hasn't revamped its OS yet), despite Apple's best effort - numerous focused best effort hardware and software releases year after year and yet they've are still behind in marketshare and growth (RIM is the fastest growing company in the world according to Fortune - Apple is far behind in 39th place).

Its funny Apple hype outlets highlight this every time sales figures come out - hey we are still behind and not growing fastest this year either, yay!

Android isn't new and Palm has a good product too. The Zune HD was a great effort by MS, all they need is phone hardware/application.

RIM does a good job and their shortfall in the default browser will change as they update to a webkit browser. Its not too hard to just install a third party browser as RIM has allowed from the very beginning - there was no need to think different - they had it right from the beginning in regards to third party applications.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey syadasti, I know that microusb is pretty much the new standard for phones. With the advent of USB3.0, do you know if mini is going to be abandoned in favor of micro, or are both going to continue to co-exist?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have no idea, I think rumors on USB 3.0 show it still pretty far off, like 2012 for integration into Intel chipsets and another chipset maker was saying 2011. Mass adoption for USB 3.0 won't happen until then so I doubt it will matter right now.

The phone makers went to micro because everyone wants thin phones.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have no idea, I think rumors on USB 3.0 show it still pretty far off, like 2012 for integration into Intel chipsets and another chipset maker was saying 2011. Mass adoption for USB 3.0 won't happen until then so I doubt it will matter right now.

The phone makers went to micro because everyone wants thin phones.
yeah, NVidia says Intel wont have it ready until 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/04/nvidia-confirms-intel-chipsets-wont-support-usb-3-0-until-2011/

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
damn, I don't get my ne2 until february, but looking like I need a new phone now!

MBC have you tried any of the apps yet?

I think it's funny the DROID is trademarked by Lucasfilm.

So last night I guess the battery ran out and it shut itself off. Well let me tell you - it does NOT want to turn back on!

Upon googling it, it would seem that a LOT of people are reporting this problem. Reseating the battery seemed to get it to turn back on but only after it sat in the charger for 20 minutes or so.

Do I exchange it or assume they are all going to have this problem? I'm thinking the latter!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Also don't forget since you have removable battery so you can just buy a second battery and/or a extended battery (when available). You have a choice and don't have to send in your phone when your battery starts going :thumb: