Quantcast

MBUK as they sling a leg over Cannondale's......

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Awesome! Maybe Cannondale will do just like the old days, and start making a ton of bikes that cost tens of thousands of dollars, and not only never see production, but also don't have a thing to do with the bikes they sell!!! They can put 14 chains on it! 9 linkages! VPP AND a horst link, with a DW-Link seatpost!

Then crank out run of the mill single pivots. Go Cannondale.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
All this is pretty funny to me considering that Sam Hill races on a bone stock Iron Horse Sunday.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
dw said:
All this is pretty funny to me considering that Sam Hill races on a bone stock Iron Horse Sunday.

true but I bet if you calculated all the hours you spent on the R & D of the Sunday including prototyping etc then worked it out in an hourly paid rate you could probably claim sam hills sunday is worth a silly amount of money.....Just like cannondale do

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
klunky said:
true but I bet if you calculated all the hours you spent on the R & D of the Sunday including prototyping etc then worked it out in an hourly paid rate you could probably claim sam hills sunday is worth a silly amount of money.....Just like cannondale do
any bike has far more than $20k of R&D and prototyping in it. hell, a couple trips over to the orient to make sure they're making it right would equal that 20k.

and dave, you know that Sam's not racing a bone-stock sunday. we took one out of production and had it painted differently. :blah:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
dante said:
any bike has far more than $20k of R&D and prototyping in it. hell, a couple trips over to the orient to make sure they're making it right would equal that 20k.

and dave, you know that Sam's not racing a bone-stock sunday. we took one out of production and had it painted differently. :blah:
not 20k its more like 36k, its 20 POUNds (don't know how to do this money symbol)

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
dante said:

thats what I mean. Cannondale are just trying to cause a stir ooohhh look how expensive our bikes out they must be good.

I would say it there way of making there bikes look good because they have to make up for the lack of good suspension design and other selling features:devil:

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
It was mentioned in the small print of the current issue.

Apparently it's a one off built specifically for one of their XC racers next season but he left (Sauser maybe? I don't know and can't find the magazine right now) so I guess they decided to lend it to the press for willy waving purposes instead.

Everything is custom and carbon fibre, even has carbon fibre bolts for the water cage apparently, the down tube is from one of their road bikes or something. When my brother gets in I'll ask him where he put it (don't read it usually, much prefer Dirt!).

Anyway first post, long time lurker, lots of good info been had from this forum, thanks!:thumb:

klunky said:
thats what I mean. Cannondale are just trying to cause a stir ooohhh look how expensive our bikes out they must be good.

I would say it there way of making there bikes look good because they have to make up for the lack of good suspension design and other selling features:devil:
Carmichael rides a single pivot, so does Mick Hannah (by choice)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
klunky said:

Lack of a good suspension design? :nopity: Isn't there a new issue of mountain bike action you should be reading right now? Selling features? Aren't affordable high-quality build specs, lifetime warentee, and 1 of the best customer service departments in the business enough for you? I guess not, maybe you enjoy over paying for over-priced, over-hyped, and over-sea's specialized instead.

Dropmachine.com, gracia spent the past 3 years on bikes with the same design as production bikes. I guess innovating is just too much for some people to understand. Afterall, the new leftys are probably the most unreliable, flexiest forks on the market!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
nvd said:
Actually the U.S. made framesets are a full pound lighter than the overseas production bikes, and top racers like Sam obviously get first dibs.

ahaha - you're telling the designer about his own bike?? nice one.

btw, you can buy the u.s. made frames... it's called the Sunday World Cup.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Banshee Rider said:
Lack of a good suspension design? :nopity: Isn't there a new issue of mountain bike action you should be reading right now? Selling features? Aren't affordable high-quality build specs, lifetime warentee, and 1 of the best customer service departments in the business enough for you? I guess not, maybe you enjoy over paying for over-priced, over-hyped, and over-sea's specialized instead.

Dropmachine.com, gracia spent the past 3 years on bikes with the same design as production bikes. I guess innovating is just too much for some people to understand. Afterall, the new leftys are probably the most unreliable, flexiest forks on the market!
umm you do know that sppecialized has just as good of customer service as cannondale dont you?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
lovebunny said:
umm you do know that sppecialized has just as good of customer service as cannondale dont you?
I certainly do, they have excellent customer service. This was the main reason I pointed out that they are over priced and overhyped for bikes produced oversea's.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
klunky said:
I would say it there way of making there bikes look good because they have to make up for the lack of good suspension design :

So are you saying that all single pivots are terrible designs?...

Oranges definetly suck, so do Morewoods, Foes mono's, Chumba's, bullits, ...etc etc right? :nope:

from the sounds of it it is sauser's six13 scalpel. 20.5 lb full suspension. not a steel bolt on the thing. all carbon, aluminum, or ti. ceramic bearings. one of the sweetest rides out there.....carbon top and downtube rest of the bike is aluminum or carbon like a normal scalpel. but sweet ride

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
klunky said:
Thanks for letting us know how little you know about suspension design. :thumb:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
there was an article in mba a while ago about sausser's bike costing like 15 grand. custom bearings, carbon and ti everything, some custom suspension job on the lefty by some german company etc...maybe they made even more badass?

J

J5ive

Can someone do a scam when it hits? Takes ages for mags to get over here....

Nov 15, 2005
Cannondale has the best customer service. I have had no problems with my prophet 4x and very pleased with how it performs. I was so pleased that I'll have a judge rep in the first week of march.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
this article should be delivered today, so if any of you can please scan it and post it up.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
dump said:
ahaha - you're telling the designer about his own bike?? nice one.

btw, you can buy the u.s. made frames... it's called the Sunday World Cup.
somehow missed this, but no, the Team, Elite and World Cup are the Taiwan made Sundays.

The US Factory Framesets are the same as Sam Hill races.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
nvd said:
Actually the U.S. made framesets are a full pound lighter than the overseas production bikes, and top racers like Sam obviously get first dibs.
Sam actually raced Worlds 04 on a Taiwan built Team/ World Cup frameset prototype, and the 05 Season on a stock Factory frameset.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
zedro said:
well maybe one day Iron Horse can afford to do cool project bikes too.....
How do you think the Sunday started off! It IS the cool project bike that we did in 2003 and 2004!

dw

edit: wait, maybe Zs first post was in sarcasm... I just cant tell!! damn interweb

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Banshee Rider said:

Heath found some photos of Cedric doing a backflip during a 4x race which he was coming in 4th for. He actually cases the flip and is about to go over the handlebars.

His carbon lefty was totally compressed as his full body weight is on the front the bike. The wheel had not deflected even a mm.

I know there is a lot which goes into designing and building a dh bike. But the QC on the C/Dales is one of the highest I have ever seen, especially when you look closely at some of the other manufacturers.

I don't think that's the end-all for dh bikes, but it is important.

EDIT: found picture

Attachments