Quantcast

MD Campgrounds??

bkbassplayr

Chimp
Nov 23, 2004
Columbia, Maryland
Hey guys... A couple of buddies and I are planning a camping trip for a long weekend during our spring break (4/7-17) and I was just wondering if you guys knew any good campgrounds in Maryland... we're looking for something in either the mountains or on the Eastern Shore near the bay or ocean, and the state parks don't allow camping until 4/28. Any help would be terrific... thanks!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I've found MD to be a pain in the ass as far as camping goes. If you are interested in mountains, I would recommend heading heading to George Washington National Forest in VA. Massanutten is really close. We've camped near Woodstock VA a few times near Big Schloss. That's really nice. You can camp pretty much anywhere in the national forest. Keep in mind that there are no facilities, you'll be roughing it. That's kick ass for some and a pain in the ass for others. Same goes for PA state parks and rec areas. They are much more friendly than MD. Just go and find yourself an nice spot and set up for a week.

bkbassplayr

Chimp
Nov 23, 2004
Columbia, Maryland
yea we were gonna go backcountry, but my buddies dont have the gear for it... originally we were gonna head out on the Appalachian Trail, which is helluva good times but its lookin like we'll be camping outa the car... thanks for the tips though

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
bkbassplayr said:
yea we were gonna go backcountry, but my buddies dont have the gear for it... originally we were gonna head out on the Appalachian Trail, which is helluva good times but its lookin like we'll be camping outa the car... thanks for the tips though

Plenty of car camping in the national forests, just find a flat spot, and park (don't block the road). By roughing it I meant no showers / outhouses / etc. If you don't mind being dirty and crapping in the woods then the national forest and car camping is the way to go!

The AT is fun too but I've found the AT in Maryland to be pretty nasty. Way too many people with no sense at all. On my two trips to the AT in MD, both times I have found where some dumb____ has taken a big ____ either right next to a shelter or a water supply. That's just freaking nasty.