Quantcast

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I’ve driven over this bridge countless times. Ridden bikes under it many times as well… and old “freeride” zone was near here. The timing coincides with a visit from Biden who is in town to talk about infrastructure. It’s a miracle nobody was killed.

Records from the National Bridge Inventory show that the bridge was consistently found to be in poor condition during inspections from 2011 to 2017. Mr. Gainey said the bridge was last inspected in September 2021.

According to the state Department of Transportation, Allegheny County has the highest number of bridges in poor condition, as well as the highest number of bridges overall. In the county, 8% — 96 of 1,186 — of state road bridges are listed in poor condition. Another 20% — 80 of 397 — of local road bridges are listed in poor condition.

Nationwide, the American Society of Civil Engineers said in a 2021 report that 46,154 bridges were considered in poor condition, or about 7.5% of the country’s 617,000 bridges.

The bridge was owned by the city of Pittsburgh. It was about 470 feet long and carried some 14,000 vehicles a day…
9A46B1DA-43FC-4F16-9F45-2575B3B2EFA4.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
From the direction of the failure I can say with high levels of confidence that gravity was a root cause.
I've been doing my own research by looking at that single photo above posted on the internet and I'm not sure. I think it might be that snow on top of the bridge that caused it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
y'all can stop speculating. i grew up in pittsburgh. the bridges were already starting to fall apart when i was a kid. its not any sort of secret.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
As soon as I woke up this morning, this was the first thing I heard about. I drive over this bridge at least once a week, and ride my bike across it and/or under it twice a week on average. In addition to this being my local park for riding, I am also one of the volunteer trail stewards. We may have to reroute one trail that gets pretty close to the bridge.

I'm surprised that this happened so suddenly, but also not given the state of infrastructure around here. Everyone is very lucky that it was early morning and not late afternoon because 5-6pm rush hour usually has backed up traffic sitting on this bridge.

The timing with Biden coming to 'tahn today to talk about infrastructure is impeccable.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
As soon as I woke up this morning, this was the first thing I heard about. I drive over this bridge at least once a week, and ride my bike across it and/or under it twice a week on average. In addition to this being my local park for riding, I am also one of the volunteer trail stewards. We may have to reroute one trail that gets pretty close to the bridge.

I'm surprised that this happened so suddenly, but also not given the state of infrastructure around here. Everyone is very lucky that it was early morning and not late afternoon because 5-6pm rush hour usually has backed up traffic sitting on this bridge.

The timing with Biden coming to 'tahn today to talk about infrastructure is impeccable.
A colleague shared this today: