Quantcast

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Allegheny has the highest rate/% of poor condition bridges in the country
About 20 years ago, a similar bridge near phipps conservatory going towards schenley park underwent massive renovations. I remember prior to that, walking under it and being very uncomfortable at the sight of supports completely eaten away, much like in the tweet above. Luckily they did a complete overhaul at the time. Let's hope they maintain it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
About 20 years ago, a similar bridge near phipps conservatory going towards schenley park underwent massive renovations. I remember prior to that, walking under it and being very uncomfortable at the sight of supports completely eaten away, much like in the tweet above. Luckily they did a complete overhaul at the time. Let's hope they maintain it.
Interestingly, this bridge that had a complete overhaul iirc 20 years ago is just considered in "fair" condition according to penndot.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Drove under that thing this last trip. They have been kinda doing stuff with the upper bridge for at least 25 years. This latest incarnation that is a bridge to catch the falling debris from the upper bridge is so pathetic. If this is how they maintain their shit, more of these will fall down I’m afraid.

Infrastructure is expensive, and extremely expensive to fix when you don’t maintain it over the years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Drove under that thing this last trip. They have been kinda doing stuff with the upper bridge for at least 25 years. This latest incarnation that is a bridge to catch the falling debris from the upper bridge is so pathetic. If this is how they maintain their shit, more of these will fall down I’m afraid.

Infrastructure is expensive, and extremely expensive to fix when you don’t maintain it over the years.
Dude I grew up in Pittsburgh that bridge has been falling apart as long as I can remember.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Dude I grew up in Pittsburgh that bridge has been falling apart as long as I can remember.
It was finally replaced a few years ago, looks like this now:

1643499659731.png

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It was finally replaced a few years ago, looks like this now:

View attachment 171162
Thanks for that. I guess I misremembered then. I definitely remember that double bridge thing... I guess it wasn't this trip after all.

I also thought we were talking about this one on the other side of the tunnel. Guess not once more!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for that. I guess I misremembered then. I definitely remember that double bridge thing... I guess it wasn't this trip after all.

I also thought we were talking about this one on the other side of the tunnel. Guess not once more!
There are so many that look alike and are equally shitty, it's hard to keep track.

I drive under this one almost every day on my commute to work, it's wrapped in netting to keep concrete chunks from falling onto the road below.
1643558509394.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are so many that look alike and are equally shitty, it's hard to keep track.

I drive under this one almost every day on my commute to work, it's wrapped in netting to keep concrete chunks from falling onto the road below.
View attachment 171183

Just need to spray that with a shit-ton of epoxy and you got a carbon fiber bridge!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

View attachment 171183

Hey, I know that spot… just up from the oval. Even with the infrastructure bill, I don’t see a way out of this.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I drive over this bridge at least once a week, and ride my bike across it and/or under it twice a week on average. In addition to this being my local park for riding, I am also one of the volunteer trail stewards.
Riding a bicycle across while it happened may have been cool? Under it not so much.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Someone was killed in Boston's O'Neill tunnel ~15 years back due to failed epoxy. The concrete 3-ton ceiling panels are held up by epoxied bolts, of which ~10% were faulty. Unlucky fellow just happened to be driving underneath when one let go.

I once had to clean up the mess after the epoxied floor anchors for a large industrial robot came loose. It chucked an engine block in the process, luckily the safety cage stopped it.

The epoxy didn't fail but the concrete around it did.