Quantcast

mech. brakes.. are any of them good?

freerideATL

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta
are there any mechanical brakes out there that are worth looking in to or
would all yall say hydraulic is the only way to go.. any advice would be great.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
McGRP01 said:
Avid BB7's, the only ones to look at.
:stupid:
I run a set on my XC HT and they're VERY positive. Good grab, modulation, light action, me likey. I'm going to convert this bike to a cross bike w/ a sus fork and get a set of the roadie calipers so I can use my STIs brake levers (different pull).

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
^^^^ i own 3 sets and they are mated to the juicy rotors. That makes them rock and not bend. The juicy rotors have 12 tynes as opposed to 6 that bend easily.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree, if you must go mechanical, the avids are really the only ones worth looking at. But decent hydros are better, and good hydros are way better.

freerideATL

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta
^^^^^^^so what would be some of the cheaper hydraulic brakes that you would suggest. (this bike is only for street and and some trail stuff)

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
A lot of people rag on the HFX-9s, because they're not a top level setup. They are a very good midrange though. I've also got a set of avid mechs, which are really easy to tune-in, but the hydros pretty much set themselves up.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Mech's suck, I currently own 2 sets of avid mechs and one set of hayes mags. Avid mechs either rub, or touch the lever ot the bar. and my rotors are not bent.

freerideATL

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta
okay well i found some juicy 5's for $99
i also found some saints for $109(but can you put saints on a six bolt hub??)

so im up for hearing witch is better or if i should just go with the
shimano deore cause i heard good stuff about those..
(im not really sure what to get since its my first pair of discs so
sorry for all the questions)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Get the most expensive ones you can reasonably afford. Don't get Grimecas though. Juicy 7's may be a little better than Saints. I like Hopes best personally.
Saint rotors are available in 6 bolt or splined now.

Oh, Sorry - I forgot. Mechanicals suck.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
ioscope said:
Mech's suck, I currently own 2 sets of avid mechs and one set of hayes mags. Avid mechs either rub, or touch the lever ot the bar. and my rotors are not bent.
i own 3 sets and all have unreal stopping power. You have them set up WRONG. All mine need is a 1/4 inch pull and that is it. The Avids will not rub if you use the juicy rotors with the 12 tynes.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
go with the juciy 5's, they are amazing! and ioscope, he's right^^^ set them up according to the owners manul and you should be good to go. BB7's have almost as much power as a ok set of hydros (think 9's) but modulation is always better with hydros, which will save your hands on the way down, and you'll have less fade. the juicy 5's are a truly nice set, go for them and you will not look back!

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
ioscope said:
Or door #3: You don't know how to set them up. Avid mechs are the most adjustable disc brake available, they can be on/off or pull to the bar modulating, both without rubbing, with the old style rotor. And they have plenty of power (running a 8" ft/ 7" rr) for my 190 lbs (and 43lb bike) dhing at Keystone, WP, Vail, Angelfire, Crested Butte, etc...

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
do not buy any of the "5"'s line. They only have one adjuster knob. It will drive you nuts. Spend the extra cash and buy juicy rotors and get some REAL housing. Goodrich...eg....teflon cables.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
sbabuser said:
Or door #3: You don't know how to set them up. Avid mechs are the most adjustable disc brake available, they can be on/off or pull to the bar modulating, both without rubbing, with the old style rotor. And they have plenty of power (running a 8" ft/ 7" rr) for my 190 lbs (and 43lb bike) dhing at Keystone, WP, Vail, Angelfire, Crested Butte, etc...
ah glasshopah you are sadly mistaken.lol.
the originals came in 165mm and needed a washer to align the caliper.
the 160=6"
and 165=6.1"
there is no 7 and the old rotors bend like tin foil.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
trailblazer said:
ah glasshopah you are sadly mistaken.lol.
the originals came in 165mm and needed a washer to align the caliper.
the 160=6"
and 165=6.1"
there is no 7 and the old rotors bend like tin foil.
Actually the new ones do come in 185mm (7.28") and 203mm (7.99"), so he does know what he's talking about. I do agree that the rotors are kind of flimsy, but they're not THAT bad. I LOVE my bb7's! 203mm on the front and 165mm on the back.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
trailblazer said:
he did say old style rotor.anyhow i stand corrected yo......and ya bought 7s. nice.
Old style, as in not the new wavy rotors. I don't see any difference in thickness/ flimsy-ness b/t them and Hayes or Shimano, either.

Atomatik

Chimp
Jul 24, 2005
London, On, Canada
freerideATL said:
okay well i found some juicy 5's for $99
i also found some saints for $109(but can you put saints on a six bolt hub??)

so im up for hearing witch is better or if i should just go with the
shimano deore cause i heard good stuff about those..
(im not really sure what to get since its my first pair of discs so
sorry for all the questions)
you can also use hayes rotors as a substitute for the saint ones if you can't find a 6 bold version of the rotor. xt rotors will work too, but i think that's been said.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Having used Avid BB7 mechs for a couple years I too will attest to the fact that they are without question the best Mechanical discs availible. I currently am running a Hope M4 and Mini on the bike and I think the BB7s stopped better.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
spacemanspiff06 said:
go with the juciy 5's, they are amazing! and ioscope, he's right^^^ set them up according to the owners manul and you should be good to go. BB7's have almost as much power as a ok set of hydros (think 9's) but modulation is always better with hydros, which will save your hands on the way down, and you'll have less fade. the juicy 5's are a truly nice set, go for them and you will not look back!

Try putting some oddyssey slik cable on it the next time the cables need replacing. Recently did this with my BB7's and am in awe still, the brake lever feel is amazing and there is a very slight improvement in performance.

SGF2

Chimp
May 8, 2005
Portland
For sure go with the hydro's. My trail bike came with Avid Mechanicals. If its wet and muddy, they wont work. I got ride of them after that ride. hfx - 9's, I'd really look at those. They are bomb proof and not much more $$$. They are super easy to maintain. I have the last year's 9 on my trail bike and they haven't had to be bled in over 16 months. I have this year's version on my DH ride and with three months of riding, no problem's with the exception of a busted lever and blown internal seal (it was a nice crash)...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Though it's been said before, I would say if you have a light or XC mechanicals will be fine, but really if you need some serious stopping power hydraulics are the only way to go. If you're going with mechanicals go with the Avids, but my Hayes lasted forever.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
kinghami3 said:
Though it's been said before, I would say if you have a light or XC mechanicals will be fine, but really if you need some serious stopping power hydraulics are the only way to go. If you're going with mechanicals go with the Avids, but my Hayes lasted forever.
And this is based on what? :confused: If you had Avid mechs and couldn't stop, I would say the problem is the rider... My BB7's stop me all day long riding lifts with guys with Hopes, Hayes, Juicies - you name it.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
sbabuser said:
And this is based on what? :confused: If you had Avid mechs and couldn't stop, I would say the problem is the rider... My BB7's stop me all day long riding lifts with guys with Hopes, Hayes, Juicies - you name it.
couldn't agree more bro.
amazing stopping power and grabby to a fault.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
sbabuser said:
Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of riding BB7s so I can't argue with you. How heavy is you bike + you compared to the other riders? I would still recommend Avids over any other mechanical, but I really don't think they're as powerful as a good set of hydros.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
kinghami3 said:
Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of riding BB7s so I can't argue with you. How heavy is you bike + you compared to the other riders? I would still recommend Avids over any other mechanical, but I really don't think they're as powerful as a good set of hydros.
I'm 190lbs w/o gear, my Ironhorse 7pt is 43 lbs w/ dh tires. Other guys are on comparable weight bikes - Mono, DHR, Demo 9, Eliminator, Big Hit, etc...
I've also raced it in the 30-39 sport class, Mountain States Cup, and the bike/ brakes worked well enough for 7th place at Angelfire, 6th place at Crested Butte, out of around 16 riders each time.