Quantcast

Mechanic's Mystery

Simpsonna

Chimp
Jun 25, 2007
I have a Trek with a Shimano Octalink BB and a Shimano Deore Hollow-Tech crank set. I have some inexpensive wellgo cage pedals on it for now. One of those three components is makeing a poping creaking sound when I put force on them and pedal. I can't figure out what it is for the life of me. Neither of the Mechanics in my area can figure it out either.

Maybe the pedals? They are only a few months old and I haven't done a lot of serious jumping with them. But maybe it's the bearings?

Or the BB? I just tightened it up and it didn't seem to help any. Could it be inside of it?

Crank set. The crank set dosen't wobble and both the chainring bolts are tightened down with that stupid tool and the arms are tightened down good too.

I don't get it and can't afford to just replace part after part until it stops.:nopity:

Thanks, Nick

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Any way you can swap those pedals with your buddies for a few minutes? Are the bb shell, mating surfaces, and bb cup threads clean of any debris and are they lightly lubed?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Steel threads mated to aluminum threads without any type of lubrication (i.e. a dab of light grease) or if contaminated with dirt is a recipe for disaster... just ask General Motors.

Simpsonna

Chimp
Jun 25, 2007
I finally found a set of good pedals to test swap. Sure enough it was the pedals. I guess the bearings must have been shot. Thanks guys!