Quantcast

Meet my new friend

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I love all my Kona's and so will you! I have a Hoss Dee-Lux and a 2004 Stinky. That is going to be a sweet ride! Get it built up and post some picks of it!

Chris...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I'm still awaiting the confirmation e-mail on shipping.

It is an RP3 rear, McG was right on that.

It'll be getting parts from my Trek at the moment.

Final build will probably be:
Talas fork
king headset
XO and Xgen drivetrain
A new crankset (something lighter, yet just as tough as my LX hollowtechs)
A new wheelset (any ideas? DT hubs with mavic rims? Kings with Mavics?)
Juicy 7 discs
Monkeylight bars, carbon post, etc etc. Small bits to make it look purdy.

Edit:
And Hoop, the frame is more....cocoa (maybe) colour? I'll have to get a few pics in sunlight.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
robdamanii said:
I'm still awaiting the confirmation e-mail on shipping.

It is an RP3 rear, McG was right on that.

It'll be getting parts from my Trek at the moment.

Final build will probably be:
Talas fork
king headset
XO and Xgen drivetrain
A new crankset (something lighter, yet just as tough as my LX hollowtechs)
A new wheelset (any ideas? DT hubs with mavic rims? Kings with Mavics?)
Juicy 7 discs
Monkeylight bars, carbon post, etc etc. Small bits to make it look purdy.
Sounds like a nice build you have planned. As far as cranks. The new XT's are very nice and hard to beat for price vs performance.

Ride on

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Sounds like a nice build you have planned. As far as cranks. The new XT's are very nice and hard to beat for price vs performance.

Ride on
That's what I thought (XT hollowtech IIs)

Any thoughts on wheels anyone?

I'm also going to go to Candys for pedals since I'm sick of the SPDs being annoying to clip in with.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sounds like you're going heavy on the bling for this bike, so you might as well get King hubs. For rims are you looking tubeless?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
MMcG said:
Just wondering - won't this new build cost a lot more than just buying a complete 2005 or 2006 Dawg of one level or another?
I would think you of all people would understand the pure AWESOMENESS of building a bike exactly the way you want it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
I would think you of all people would understand the pure AWESOMENESS of building a bike exactly the way you want it.
LOL! I am currently spec-ing my new project as well :Devil: If you're really good, I might just let you in on the secret when I see you :sneaky:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Echo said:
Sounds like you're going heavy on the bling for this bike, so you might as well get King hubs. For rims are you looking tubeless?
I was thinking that....I'm looking for the ability to run tubeless or tube.

MMcG said:
Just wondering - won't this new build cost a lot more than just buying a complete 2005 or 2006 Dawg of one level or another?
The dawg that is on the closest level would be about 2600 I believe. The frame was only 750 bucks, and I'll add parts to it as time wears on.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Nice. I prolly should have bought that frame instead of my new Kikapu, but my LBS just built an 06 Kona A as a dual drive single speed that is so bad azz, and I will own...

:drool:

You're still a tool.

:rolleyes:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
Well for me - I bought my Balfa Belair complete and then used most of those parts over time to move over to my endless list of frames over the last couple of years.

It is fun to customize - that's true.

Have fun building that sucker up Rob!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
CrossMax XL's. I love mine, not as Bling as King but bling. Learn how to service the freewheel body and you are golden.
That's what I've been thinking, but I'm wondering if I could build a decent set of wheels out of Onxy hubs and a nice tubeless rim. Not too sure if I can really afford to throw down 700 for a set of wheels rught now.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
robdamanii said:
That's what I've been thinking, but I'm wondering if I could build a decent set of wheels out of Onxy hubs and a nice tubeless rim. Not too sure if I can really afford to throw down 700 for a set of wheels rught now.

You can usually find CrossMax XLs in the 500's if you shop around. I think retail is $689. In addition they offer a insurance program for like $80 that is a replacment policy for 2 years.

When I shopped around it was getting pretty close price wise for a decent Onyx or Hadley hub wheel built up (I do not posses the skills to build a wheel). Also if you ever decide to, the XL front hubs are easily convertible to 20mm.

Either way, Onyx hubs to a nice set of hoops would be sweet as well.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
Look into the Mavic 819's. I don't know the price of the rims off the top of my head, but I do know that you can run them tubeless or with a tube.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Echo said:
:thumb: That kind of awsomeness just can't be beat.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MMcG said:
That's the best way to go by taking advantage of the package deal of the parts. Just get the complete bike and tear off what you don't want, but why not get what amounts to a free drivetrain and other parts at a signifigantly reduced price (usually i will buy a kit based on what fork i get). Then i turn around and either use those parts for a different project, give them to freinds, keep them for backup, or sell them for cheap at the Bike Swap.

i've never had a bike i was completely satisfied with right out of the gate as far as what i considered a perfect build. But it takes me all of about a milliesecond to forget about it once i'm riding.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
SkaredShtles said:
I thought for sure you were going to post this as your new friend:

I think y'all need to lay off the witchdoctor cracks. I went to grad school in anthropology and I have a lot of respect for primitive medicine and the like. It isn't all total mumbo-jumbo like chiropra ... never mind. :blah: :devil:

True story, a friend of mine from back in those days was in middle-of-nowhere Africa doing research and he got constipated. I'm talking "I haven't taken a decent crap in a couple weeks PLUGGED UP." He was hundreds of miles from any real doctor, but the locals told him about this little old guy that lived in a hut that could help. He got some mysterious powder from the guy, took it. Within minutes of taking it he was making a mad dash, dropping his drawers on the way, to the latrine trench. After a good purging, he was ok for the rest of the field season. Witchdoctors can help people :thumb:.