Quantcast

Mega avalanche North America? Why not?

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
Just throwing this out there. Has anyone ever heard about the possibility of running a Mega Avalanche in the States or in Canada? I think it would go over really well, attendance that is. I did the one in Peru last year and i think it is definitely achievable to have one in North America. The one in France is the largest, but i believe too far for most North Americans to travel just to race. Some in site on possible locations that you think would be a good place to host it would be cool also. I was thinking Pikes Peak Colorado would be a adequate host due to the access. On the other hand the environmentalists would kill it before it got off the ground. Thoughts?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
whistler/blackcomb could pull it off, top of blackcomb down?
scwhitzer sp? idaho, from the peak down to sandpoint would be pretty long.
silver mtn idaho has a long dh race.

but most places in north america don't have the elevation change to be the same

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
Top of Whistler would be awesome. Never thought about that one. I know a place on Pikes pike that is about 3 hours of decent from the top. Not legal by any means but it would be a good place none the less.

Elevation is an issue, but i think the biggest issue is access to the top. In Peru you do two laps that is how they get around the not long enough thing. I don't prefer it that way, but it is an option.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
whistler/blackcomb could pull it off, top of blackcomb down?
scwhitzer sp? idaho, from the peak down to sandpoint would be pretty long.
silver mtn idaho has a long dh race.

but most places in north america don't have the elevation change to be the same
Lots (well some) places in CA to do it.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Rocky Mountains?

I was also in North Carolina and some all mountain riders there told me there are like an hour and a half straight downhills there.

Ronny Gradie

Chimp
Sep 22, 2007
Pacifica, CA
Megavalanche in Europe is about 7000 Vertical Feet.

To get anything near that scale you need to be in the rockies or sierra nevadas.

Downieville in CA is about 4000 vertical feet.

Whistler has about 5000 vertical feet.

Maybe somewhere around Telluride could get you that kind of elevation change?

I grew up in Asheville, Mt Mitchell is the highest point up near boone at 6300 ft. No downhills in NC are anything like the alps - but you can find some killer 2000 ft descents!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Cannell Plunge, 7200 feet of vert, 32 miles.
"You will get over 32 miles of riding in on 98 percent single track. With the low point at the rides end in Kernville at 2,700 feet and the high point of 9,900 feet on Sherman Peak you are guaranteed to get in some epic descents. "

Doing that soon hopefully!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Vail is the biggest US resort I believe, based on acrage. But even then it has "only" about 3,500 vert feet. (and a really good party atmosphere). The Beav has more, actually, with 4,000. Doubt they'd give us free cookies, though. :biggrin:

I heard rumors of enduro races down here in the US that require to use a lift once or twice (that doesn't count in race time) in order for it to have the 7,000+ vert feet claim. Not quite the same, but I'd do it!

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I did a little research on the Cannell Plunge trail in Socal. 32 miles long, 1900 feet of climbing and 9000 feet of descent. The top of the peak is accessible by vehicle also. I don't know if the area has room for a mass start. There would also have to be a qualification track too. Does anyone know how much climbing the mega in France has?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Big Sky, Top of Lone Peak is close to 11,000 the base area is 7000, that drops into the Gallatin River Valley, which is roughly 6000 ft.

seems like it is 4500 to 5000 ft of vert. all elevations are rough and not accurate to within 300 ft.