Quantcast

Meirhaeghe positive, stops immediately

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
fro cyclingnews.com

Meirhaeghe positive, stops immediately
Belgian mountain biker Filip Meirhaeghe has tested positive for EPO during a competition in Canada on April 6. The 33 year old World Champion told the Belga newsagency that he will stop competitive cycling immediately. Belgian cycling is reeling from the blow, after both Christophe Brandt (methadone) and Dave Bruylandts (EPO) returned positive tests in the last three weeks.

Meirhaeghe was considered a strong gold medal candidate for the Olympic Games in Athens next month after having won the silver in Sydney. Belgian federation president Laurent De Backer told Sportwereld.be, "Bruylandts on the road and Meirhaeghe off road: that's two medal chances that we will kiss goodbye in Athens. But on the other hand, whoever burns their behind must sit on the blisters."

Belgian mountain bike coach Rudy De Bie said that this will have a serious effect on mountain biking in Belgium. "Filip is the man who has made mountain biking big in Belgium. This could have disastrous consequences for the sport."

At the 1997 World Mountain Biking Championships in Chateau d'Oex, Meirhaeghe was one of four riders not permitted to race due to a hematocrit above 50 percent. A high hematocrit can be indicative of EPO use, although it is not proof.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
rockracing said:
I remember reading that story in 97 and was wondering......hmmm, now I wonder for how long he's been getting away with it.

who's next ?

this really is a shame.
I'm pretty positive that if we could get our hands on the REAL percentage of XC racers that take performance-enhancing drugs, it would be mind blowing.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Crazy news. I just read the article.

Specialized already yanked his pics and news articles about him from their website.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
rockracing said:
quote from supercycling:

"It was during a training camp in Austria, seven weeks ago, that I tried EPO for the first time," he told a news conference.
he might just be trying to retain his previous titles?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow - that really sucks. I just finished reading an article in Velonews (the magazine) about him too...his wins. This is awful to hear.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well I am glad he fessed up and admitted it, unlike SOME professional athletes out there. It's pathetic the way some athletes deny, deny, and deny when all signs point to them doping. I am sure some people are falsely accused, but this just proves that not everyone is so innocent. Obviously this does not make it ok that Meirhaeghe had to resort to cheating, and it sucks for him that his career will be permanently tainted now. He deserves whatever negativity he gets.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wonder how much doping there is at the top XC level. I always figured it was fairly low compared to roadies just because there is less $$$ available.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I always looked at him winning and I was like he looks way to built to get up those climbs so fast, not normal at all. Well if it's to good to be true it usally is. It's still like 50X worse on the road cause there's way more money and compition. Oh well what can you do?

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Does anyoone else figure that he's most likely been doping since '97?

Time to take the old yellow jar off the shelf...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
-BB- said:
What exactly does EPO do?
Allows blood to carry oxygen better, more oxygen=more power with less effort.

Altitude training has similar effects, but EPO is much more powerful.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
-BB- said:
What exactly does EPO do?
Erythropoietin stimulates the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. The resultant rise in red cells increases the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.

As the prime regulator of red cell production, EPO's major functions are to:

1)Promote the development of red blood cells.
2)Initiate the synthesis of hemoglobin, the molecule within red cells that transports oxygen

http://www.medicinenet.com/Erythropoietin/article.htm

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, it thickens the blood. When your blood is "thick" it causes extra strain on your circulatory system which could lead to cardiac arrest.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Heidi said:
Well, it thickens the blood. When your blood is "thick" it causes extra strain on your circulatory system which could lead to cardiac arrest.
By producing extra red blood cells the blood thickens that is why they also take blood thinners with the EPO.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
statorjso said:
And what negative effects does it have on the body?
But EPO is really scary stuff. The hormone can over stimulate the production of red blood cells and make the blood dangerously thicker. This can increase the risk of blood clotting and death. For instance, several European cyclists mysteriously died (often at rest or while sleeping) between 1987 and 1990. Their deaths have been circumstantially connected to the use of EPO. The synthetic form of the drug first became available in Europe during this time period and was known to be used by some elite cyclists. It is believed that over the last decade other cyclists and endurance athletes have also fallen victim to EPO. Like blood doping, detecting its use is nearly impossible.

http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/doping&EPO.HTM

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
didn't that Manzano rider from kelme talk of taking like 5 asprins right before going for a blood test ? Cos that would supposedly have a thinning effect. I'm too scared of the thought of taking 5 saprins, let alone EPO.......thank goodness I'm not a pro who races to put food on the table;)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
And another...

Bergman sacked by Jelly Belly, may lose NRC points
By Gerard Knapp

Minnesota-based cyclist Adam Bergman has been sacked by the Jelly Belly presented by Aramark cycling team and made to return his equipment, following the announcement by the US Anti-Doping Authority (USADA) that he had tested positive for recombinant human Erythropoietin (rEPO).

Bergman has accepted the provisional suspension, according to USADA, and on July 27, 2004, he commenced serving what could be a two-year suspension from the sport. However, the final penalty will be decided at a hearing to be held later this year.

A spokesperson for USA Cycling said it's likely the rider will request a hearing and until a decision is made by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), he is not suspended by the USAC. However, by accepting the provisional suspension, Bergman has agreed not to compete in any competitions under the jurisdiction of UCI, USAC or the United States Olympic Committee.

The USAC spokesperson said that if proven guilty at the hearing, it's also likely that Bergman will be stripped of the points he has accumulated throughout the 2004 race season. Currently, Bergman is in second place on the US Cycling Federation National Racing Calendar (USCF NRC), the all-important domestic race series in the USA. The 23 year-old Bergman is on 937 points, trailing Webcor's Chris Horner who's in first place with 1300 points according to the latest data from the USAC.

Further, Bergman's team, Jelly Belly presented by Aramark, is second in the NRC teams classification. The USAC spokesperson said that although there is no written policy on suspended riders automatically losing their NRC points, a precedent had been set in the cases of T-Mobile rider Amber Neben and Monex's Roberto Gaggioli, as both riders were stripped of their NRC points following their suspensions.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul29news3

D

Dingus McGee

Man, I've been racing clean for all these years with mediocre results...no wonder!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Tashi said:
Does anyoone else figure that he's most likely been doping since '97?

Time to take the old yellow jar off the shelf...

I don't think so but when he resently jumped up to winning the worlds and all these other world cups. I think thats when.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I watched him win the Short Track at Sea-Otter by quite a bit. He just pulled away from the pack when leading into a head wind. You gotta wonder if Rollie took drugs during his reign of domination in '01 and '02.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah

MtnbikeMike said:
You gotta wonder if Rollie took drugs during his reign of domination in '01 and '02.
especially considering at the time he was also training a lot with roadie clubs/teams!! definitely makes you wonder.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
MtnbikeMike said:
You gotta wonder if Rollie took drugs during his reign of domination in '01 and '02.

I don;t think he ever has, he was born a freak like Lance supposedly his heart is 2x the normal size and his lungs are 1.5x bigger than a normal person his size. Thats why he can go so fast uphill while still being so built.

However someone I think is on drugs is GJ Genevieve Jeanson if you've heard of her.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
You gotta wonder what the team doctors have up their sleeves these days...EPO has been around for a long time now and the doctors must be a step or two ahead of the latest testing technology....There has to be some other "elite access only" high tech performance enhancing undectable drugs out there now.... :evil:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Meirhaeghe back racing

Belgian mountain biker Filip Meirhaeghe is down as a starter for this Sunday's Mountainbike Classic in Oostende, despite having announced his retirement a couple of months ago after he tested positive for EPO. Although he did not dispute the test and even admitted to using the banned drug, Meirhaeghe hasn't been suspended by the Belgian cycling federation, which means that he is still allowed to race.