Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Doping isn't even close to the same issue. Altering your body's chemistry is a little different from having a swimsuit that snugs up a little tighter or making your pool a foot deeper.
They actually are close to the same issue. Yes, altering your body's chemistry is different than using a fancy swimsuit, but they both produce the same end result.

Having a tighter suit has nothing to do with it. These new suits are engineered with materials and surface treatments such that they create less resistance to the flow of water as it passes over a swimmer's body. It produces the same end result as covering your body with baby oil - a practice that just happens to be banned (at least it was when I swam competitively).

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Like the Olympics or hate them, Michael Phelps is pretty fvcking amazing. He is a pretty incredible athlete. Who thought someone would ever be greater than Mark Spitz?

And that relay last night was CRAZY. Did anyone else see how much the American team won by??
He hadnt done it yet,but it is looking good for him. Good luck Mike P

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
They actually are close to the same issue. Yes, altering your body's chemistry is different than using a fancy swimsuit, but they both produce the same end result.

Having a tighter suit has nothing to do with it. These new suits are engineered with materials and surface treatments such that they create less resistance to the flow of water as it passes over a swimmer's body. It produces the same end result as covering your body with baby oil - a practice that just happens to be banned (at least it was when I swam competitively).
Men are the only ones banned from this practice. For good reason.

:biggrin::monkeydance:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It produces the same end result as covering your body with baby oil - a practice that just happens to be banned (at least it was when I swam competitively).
A new level of gheyness. Male swimmers in baby oil, I bet Laura gets a rise out of the idea, though. :D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
1. Tech Doping
The new Speedo LZR RACER suit, which was developed by scientists from NASA, “feels like a rocket coming off the wall,” said Phelps in a team interview. “The water just runs off the suit.” The suit has “ultrasonically welded” seams that mimics a shark skin, holds in the swimmer’s abdomen in the best position, allowing him to take in 5% more oxygen, and takes an athlete 30 minutes to get into!

2. The Pool Depth Matters
The pool in Beijing, known as the “Water Cube,” is 3 meters deep, instead of the previous depth of 2 meters. This allows swimmers to dive deeper and continue their push off “dolphin kicks” for a longer period of time. Olympic medalist and commentator Rowdy Gaines says, “It’s just deep enough to where the waves dissipate (and) the turbulence dissipates down to the bottom.”

3. Empty Pool Lanes
There are ten lanes in the Water Cube, instead of the usual eight, leaving the outside lanes open. This reduces turbulence and enables swimmers to go faster. “It’s by far the fastest pool in the world,” Gaines says.

4. More Time to Practice
Sponsorship for swimming has increased massively, which allows athletes to practice more. Mark Spitz, the Olympic swimmer with the most gold medals before Phelps, retired at 22 due to his inability to make a living as an amateur athlete. Back then, the Olympics only allowed amateur athletes to compete. Phelps, on the other hand, is now 23 has an estimated annual earnings of $5 million, and will be awarded an extra $1 million dollar bonus from Speedo if he reaches or beats Spitz’s record.

5. Old-fashioned Doping
Gary Hall Jr., previous Olympian 50-m freestyle champion, seems to think so. “Can suit technology distract from another issue?… I’m telling you this, I train with an international group of swimmers and all of them have stories and a few of them have had offers.” Hall likens today’s “blame it on the suit” situation to that of the ‘76 East German women’s Olympic swimming team. Though, he seems to be the only one speaking out about this so perhaps he’s just bitter he didn’t qualify for Beijing.

6. The Secret Benefits of Math
Professor Timothy Wei, of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y., helped develop top-secret, state-of-the-art equipment and mathematical techniques that USA Swimming coaches have been using to help to make swimmers go faster. He uses water flow diagnostic technologies to see how each swimmers’ motion affects the flow of water. The whole thing is explained here in this video.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/17455#more-17455

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
But aside from eating 12,000 calories a day, I share very few qualities with the man.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
1. Tech Doping
The new Speedo LZR RACER suit, which was developed by scientists from NASA, “feels like a rocket coming off the wall,” said Phelps in a team interview. “The water just runs off the suit.” The suit has “ultrasonically welded” seams that mimics a shark skin, holds in the swimmer’s abdomen in the best position, allowing him to take in 5% more oxygen, and takes an athlete 30 minutes to get into!
I sure hope he pees in the pool, at that point. I know I would. :D

bansheefr51

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
so did anyone else catch the swimming coverage last night when the announcers referred to some japanese guy as the best breast stroker in the world? :rofl:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who got that. You think he would have caught it, too. But he just kept saying it.!!:imstupid:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC

Yeah it's still illegal to do that, referred to as "go juice" lol.