Quantcast

Michelin 2010

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Michelin PR blurb said:
A special tread rubber called Super Soft Compound has been developed from biketrial experience to offer exceptional grip without sacrificing durability.
If that's true these will be the tires to have. Michelin trials tyres are insanely grippy and last forever, even with 30hp going through them.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Just found this link, Michelin's Eurobike Stuff, has some info about the new stuff. Looks promising for sure. Anyone have any good photos/reviews yet?
http://www.michelin.com/corporate/actualites/en/document.DocumentRepositoryServlet?codeDocument=9284&codeRepository=MICHCORP&codeRubrique=NEWS2009
So, by blowing up those pics, it looks like they kept the comp 16 and renamed it. Made the comp 32 a 2.6 tire, and they have a new Minionesque DH tire with Michelin rubber. Perfect. :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So, by blowing up those pics, it looks like they kept the comp 16 and renamed it. Made the comp 32 a 2.6 tire, and they have a new Minionesque DH tire with Michelin rubber. Perfect. :thumb:
The pics on that last link of the actual tires makes it look like there is more knob to the 16 now. It's modded differently than the current one in the center and the side knobs look maybe a little blocker, not as tapered?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Not a 2.5 still...

Less side knobs these days. Trail tire right?:

Image tag calls this the Wildrockr. It's got the center tread style similar to the Comp 24 with no intermediate knobs and the side knobs are now staggered as opposed to a uniform row....like a 32 humped a 24 and this was born.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
2010 2.4" Michelin WildRock'r Reinforced SB (AM/FR tire):

For DH:

2010 2.5" Michelin WildGrip'r Descent TL:

- Seems to be the same as the old Comp 16 / DH16 A/T -

2010 2.6" Michelin WildGrip'r Heavy Duty Descent:

- Basically the same as the old Michelin Comp 32 / DH32 A/T -

2010 2.5" Michelin WildRock'r Descent (Comp 24 / DH24 AT replacement):

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Mud3 looks unchanged, other than a slight bunching of the centre blocks.

Comp32 supposedly now a 2.6, but for all we know that's a difference in measuring/name alone, could be identical to the old 2.8s.

Comp 24 looks slightly changed, centre knobs a bit more angled than before?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Good eye seb - that's what I noticed too!

EDIT: Upon closer examination - it looks like they did a lot of things here:

Here - I rotated the Comp24 so that it is facing the same rotational direction as the new 2010 WildRock'r for a good side-by-side comparison:

(LEFT) 2010 Michelin 2.5" WildRock'r Descent (RIGHT) Michelin Comp24 / DH24 A/T:

Last edited:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
They were facing the correct way. Just not the correct way how us and most people would be using a DH tire. They were the correct way for some one who used DH tires for climbing.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I think what Michelin allways had going for it was there rubber compound.Hopefully that has not changed.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I think what Michelin allways had going for it was there rubber compound.Hopefully that has not changed.
What's more important is whether anyone cool is running them?

They haven't leaked spy photos onto the internet for 6 months, they haven't promised a product for two years before delivering, Shaun Palmer hasn't endorsed them.

I don't see no hype = no sale.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
right, so in other words they were not facing the correct way:thumb:
The the 32 had the arrows in the correct direction. :think: :D

According to the PDF posted earlier it appears the there are a lot less tubeless offerings. If the Michelin nomenclature is correct, the tires listed as TL are tubeless.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Any news?
You should try google. People in the US have been buying them retail for several weeks now.

Saw a pair of the Wild Rock'r 2.4 trail tire on my buddies bike and drooled. He's in love with it and he said they made him love his bike more.

I've got a set of the Wild Rock'r DH and it's a bigger casing than the old Comp 24 2.5. Seeing it in person is really the only way to appreciate the tire. It's basicly the only new DH tread in the line up, but it is a VERY impressive tire. The main upgrade to the DH line being the casings.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Dear Michy,

I have been waiting for your new tires to become available release for months. My old comp 24's are worn and dry. I would have loved to give you my money in exchange for molded hoops of rubber but none were to be found. Now I have some minions on order.

Yousuck,
RockofUllr

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Dear Michy,

I have been waiting for your new tires to become available release for months. My old comp 24's are worn and dry. I would have loved to give you my money in exchange for molded hoops of rubber but none were to be found. Now I have some minions on order.

Yousuck,
RockofUllr
lol,

Funny, I've been waiting ALL season, and finally gave up and installed the UST Minions I had laying around for the last year.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I know they are not Michelins newest DH tires, but the new Michelin 2.5 Hots can be found on the internet for $31 each. They are a great light weight (975grams) DH tire. Great grip and will handel most you throw at them. Try them out.

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Looking for $20.00 each plus shipping. New and used, the most used one has about 1/2 day at Whistler. No Idea what shipping would be but I imagine its not cheap. E-mail me if interested and I will send some pics. e-mail is driderwhite@aol.com
FYI...to ship a DH tire, twist it gently til it corkscrews into a ball. Then wrap it up in shipping tape, then "laminate" the shipping label with tape and stick it to it.

Priority Mail 2-3 days dirt cheap.:thumb:

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
FYI...to ship a DH tire, twist it gently til it corkscrews into a ball. Then wrap it up in shipping tape, then "laminate" the shipping label with tape and stick it to it.

Priority Mail 2-3 days dirt cheap.:thumb:
You have done this?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
hmm....

Kinda seems like you would run the risk of damaging the bead.

Edit: Cecil, got any more info/review on the new line?

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
You have done this?
hmm....

Kinda seems like you would run the risk of damaging the bead.
yes I have. No damage to the bead. It won't shrink down tiny, but smaller than you'd think. Try it on one of your DH tires. Just grab the tire at 3 & 9 and rotate opposite directions. Shipping tires sucks for the most part though.

Parts Unlimited is here in Asheville and I worked a whopping 4 days at UPS during the holidays. It's when I realized that you can ship just about everything not dentable sans packaging.