Quantcast

Michelin 24 DH

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I picked up my 2004 Demo 9 end of 2008. I have only rode the bike at N Star this year. It came with a rear 2.5 red Michelin Extreme. The extreme tires beads blew out after about 5 rides. I figured out it was not a good tire for DH'ing.... So I just put on a 2.5 Michelin 24DH. The 24 is like riding on hot asphalt. But the rolling resistance is a lot more then the Extreme. I have the rear tire at 35 psi for N star riding. Would more psi help with the rolling resistance? Or just make the tire loose traction? I love the traction but hate the extra effort......

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
The Red 2.5 Michelin Extreme is an older tire they stopped making a while back. (Years) I am sure the person you bought your DEMO from just put them on the bike to sell it. Michelin didn't have any luck with that tire. The appeal to that tire was to be a Light All Mt Freeride tire. Well it didn't hold up well and didn't have very good grip. This was mainly to the Synthetic Rubber the tire was made from.

Now the new 2.5 Hot S (only about a year or two old) was designed to be an OEM tire for the bike companies. Well a lot of them made it out to some big E-Stores and Michelin found out people wanted them. So they started producing more for the public. It now is the only Freeride/DH tire they offer until the new DH tires are released in late 2009. Let’s just say they once again will be leading the way in DH tires. For you young guns that don't know. When Michelin came out with the DH Comp 32, 15, 24, and 16 other Tire companies copied their tread patterns for the next 3 years. The only thing they could not copy was their compound. That is where Michelin has always been the best in the DH tire market.

As for the Comp 24 it is a great all around DH tire. The best I ever got out of them in my 14 years of racing was when I went Tubeless. I have been sponsored by them my whole racing career up until I started the 2Wheel Freaks Team (With ITS Tires now) this year. I am 170lbs and ran the Comp 24s at 30psi in the front and 28psi in the rear. I saw the best grip out of them this was due to my bike setup being on the soft side. All their DH tires were designed to be ran 28psi to 32psi for best traction and rolling resistance.

Hope this helps out a little,

Cecil

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
All those tires and no input??? Hmm.......
Well I'll hopefully be testing them at Northstar this weekend. But I've used comp24's exclusively as my rear tire for the last 4 years. Basically never flats. Rolling resistance? It's pretty good as far as I'm concerned. The are super predictable when it comes to losing traction, that's probably my favorite aspect of them. High rollers probably have better overall traction, but I seem to like the "feel" of the comp24's more. I usually rock around 30 psi in the rear, depending how rocky it is. I don't know why rolling resistance would really be a concern for resort riding?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I know this will soon be obsolete with new 2010 product on it's way and I think there may be a thread discussing this somewhere but after 20 min of searching I got nothing.

The reason I ask is that I had an argument with one of my buddies and now I wanna know the answer.

I always heard that running DH24's backwards increases breaking traction (this is logical looking at the tread) and running them forwards decreases rolling resistance. Is this true?

P.S. Is there a tire cutting thread somewhere that I cant find. If not WTF. There are so many different tires with so many custom options to tune performance to conditions. I feel like that is a topic worthy of discussion. I would love to hear everyone's favorite cuts and their advantages.

OK so I just found this http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...light=cut+comp

Last edited:

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
favorite tire, when cut, for the person who was asking, cut the knobs on the left and right of the center ones.... yeah thats a poor description but its pretty obvious which ones should go