Quantcast

Michelin recommendations for Vermont

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Unless it's a complete mess, I'd stay away from spikes. 32 front, 2.5 16 rear sounds like a good idea. 24 in the back would work well if it's dry, but I doubt it'd make much of a difference either way.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Won there some time back with a Comp 32 F and Comp 16 2.5" combo in dry conditions. Man I miss that place!!! If it gets wet I would stick to both F and R Comp 16 2.5"s. They will work better on the rocks at high speeds than the Muds. Good luck and have fun!!!!!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
The spikes would be SCARY there!! I am hoping for dry conditions, crossing my fingers!!
I was there maybe 3 years ago (one of the years it poured) and remember seeing a few people running Wet Screams. I think Riffle (who I believe won) was in any case. I was thinking that must have been scary over the rocks.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I was there maybe 3 years ago (one of the years it poured) and remember seeing a few people running Wet Screams. I think Riffle (who I believe won) was in any case. I was thinking that must have been scary over the rocks.
Yeh, the wetscreams are golden. I was refering to the michelin spikes.

Michy mud 3, Holly Sh% sketch

MAxxis Wet scream, still sketch but not as extreme.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
The track this year has about 1/4th the amount of open slope grass as usual and a whole lot more rock so mud tires are not going to be the ideal tire as they have been in the past.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Heath - what's up fellow kick-flipper?

:biggrin:

For VT. as was said before all of the above, but it really depends on the weather and the track. If it's mostly grass and mud, I'd go with some Comp 16's front and rear. Michy spikes are nice but they only come in a 2.2 if I recall correctly, so your section height (sidewall height) will be too narrow to keep the rim from banging into rocks.

If it's mostly tacky, I'd say go with the Comp 32 up front and a 16 or cut 24 in back.... for dry I'd say run a 32 up front and a cut 24 in back.

If it absolutly pissing rain - try the spikes, but cut down the center row by maybe 2 or 2 mm and ramp them in the direction of rotation.

Hope this helps!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeh, the wetscreams are golden. I was refering to the michelin spikes.

Michy mud 3, Holly Sh% sketch

MAxxis Wet scream, still sketch but not as extreme.
Then hell no. I have a Mud 3 and have yet to use it. It's too narrow and the knobs too tall for basically any course at Mt Snow. I'd run a 32 and a 2.5 16, maybe dual 2.5 16s if they suited the course. The 32 helps there. I only raced there once a few years ago on the expert/pro course and it was nutty. High speeds, rocks and bomb holes call for big tires.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
The track this year has about 1/4th the amount of open slope grass as usual and a whole lot more rock so mud tires are not going to be the ideal tire as they have been in the past.

For real? I have only been there once, back in '05...I personally did not like the course too much. I like more techy-rock-in tha trees kind of riding. Hopefully the "new" course does not disappoint. :biggrin::biggrin: .

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
For real? I have only been there once, back in '05...I personally did not like the course too much. I like more techy-rock-in tha trees kind of riding. Hopefully the "new" course does not disappoint. :biggrin::biggrin: .
The only track I know we've both ridden is Angel Fire and it's nothing like that. I hated the woods sections at AF. It was flat and stupid and was not a particularly enjoyable track (in my opinion.)
The Mt. Snow track does the whole top section you've done until the waterfall section of ledges, where it goes left to the top of the other lift and it takes you down the top section of the super d course. (which is basically a 30-40 second slickrock section which is good fun. Then its into the woods for the rest of the track on mostly high speed singletrack (not steep.) There is a fun section called the slickrock highway which is a few hundred yards of slickrock that is super rough and fully pinned. Then you continue in the woods for 30 more seconds or so and you finish off the already super long track with a minute long flat sprint (basically.) It sucks, but the rest of the course is pretty sweet. You will need to be super fit, and if any of my description makes sense, you'll realize spikes will not work on the majority of the track.

The track will probably be 5+ minutes, but atleast it's not at altitude...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
swampthing would be sketchy on the off camber moist slickrock highway
My favorite setup for the faster mt snow courses is a Comp 32 front and a 2.5 40A swampthing in the rear. Swampthings are pretty sweet, especially in 2.5. They work great on the grass, and the knobs are low enough that they work well in the rocks to boot.

With this years track, I don't think I'd want to have to push a 32 across a lot of the flat and uphill sections of the track....

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
The only track I know we've both ridden is Angel Fire and it's nothing like that. I hated the woods sections at AF. It was flat and stupid and was not a particularly enjoyable track (in my opinion.)
The Mt. Snow track does the whole top section you've done until the waterfall section of ledges,.......
You will need to be super fit, and if any of my description makes sense, you'll realize spikes will not work on the majority of the track.

The track will probably be 5+ minutes, but atleast it's not at altitude...
Oh, ok. Sick, so the course sounds good except for that last part!!
Were you on a red demo back then? Haha, that was a long time ago!
I was not down with that new section at Angelfire (after you go under the wood bridge) it was pretty crappy up untill the last day. The upper rock section though....SICK>

Suspectdave said:
With this years track, I don't think I'd want to have to push a 32 across a lot of the flat and uphill sections of the track....
push, uphill, flat...bad qualities for a DH track.:plthumbsdown:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
the long sprint at the bottom may be changed to a higher woods exit then some singletrack traversing to the finish and the ledges are out. one ski slope over from ledges.

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
If Mount Snow is running the course that is listed on their website as the possible national champs course, spikes would be a very bad idea.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Oh, ok. Sick, so the course sounds good except for that last part!!
Were you on a red demo back then? Haha, that was a long time ago!
I was not down with that new section at Angelfire (after you go under the wood bridge) it was pretty crappy up untill the last day. The upper rock section though....SICK>
push, uphill, flat...bad qualities for a DH track.:plthumbsdown:
Yep, that was my first year of racing...

I died at angelfire from the altitude and the shoulder I seperated 2 weeks earlier definitely didn't help. I think I can say I honestly put in 20 pedal revolutions on the entire track... I would have been just as fast without a chain. I could do little like 200 yard sections in the woods perfect and super fast, but as soon as I put any of them together I was too exhausted to even ride my bike.

The Mt Snow course doesn't really have any uphills. The closest thing is a flat rooty 20 yard section that you go into with no speed, that sucks. But otherwise it should be fun.

VooDoo- I reaaaaally hope so. I'm sure it will make the track that much more exhausting doing that sprint in the woods, but it's better than a fireroad for sure.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Heath - what's up fellow kick-flipper?

:biggrin:

For VT. as was said before all of the above, but it really depends on the weather and the track. If it's mostly grass and mud, I'd go with some Comp 16's front and rear. Michy spikes are nice but they only come in a 2.2 if I recall correctly, so your section height (sidewall height) will be too narrow to keep the rim from banging into rocks.

If it's mostly tacky, I'd say go with the Comp 32 up front and a 16 or cut 24 in back.... for dry I'd say run a 32 up front and a cut 24 in back.

If it absolutly pissing rain - try the spikes, but cut down the center row by maybe 2 or 2 mm and ramp them in the direction of rotation.

Hope this helps!
Hey, you gonna be there? This will be my first ride in VT. I am excited to ride a course that is so well known for it's difficulty to master. I love a challenge. I figured on the tire choice-comp 32 front 16 rear but I like to ask and check the angles/strategies and keep all my options open. I haven't confirmed if Michelin will be there yet so I am preparing to have to bring my own tires. I'll probably bring one comp 32 and two 16s 2.5 just in case.
Thanks for the info and bring your board to the pits, we can play some s-k-a-t-e!
H

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Heath!

Ah - sadly I will not be able to make it. I'm having some.. er.. brake issues. Long story, but it looks like I'm going to have to send em' back to Cali to get them checked out under warranty. Air keeps getting into the system during transport (I just lay my bike on it's side in the back of my truck).

You are racing at Mt. Snow correct? I raced there for the 2005 Nationals and had a BLAST. Conditions were bone-dry which is pretty rare for a race up there. The Sport course is wide open in a lot of places and the Pro course is just flat-out although there are a lot of tricky sections like the "waterfalls"... Thank God they got rid of the Yardsale Section - at least I'm pretty sure they did.

Wish I could be there man - it would be awesome to hang out in the parking lot and just float power-slides... :biggrin:

...soon as I get my brake situation sorted I'll be out and about. Might have to go into storage and dig up my old Hayes Mags - but that'll cost me $95...:hmm: