Quantcast

Microdrive For Dummies

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, I've got an Evil DOC and I want to convert to microdrive. The deal is I want to buy Deity cranks to use with it. I have no idea what I need.

Do the cranks come with a euro bb? If not, where do I get a conversion?

I want to run a BMX chain and cog setup because 9-speed feels weak, so where do I get a cassette cog and front chainring to use with the Deity?

I know e13 makes bashgaurds and a "super spider," which do I need?

Dexter, I know you run microdrive w/ a similar setup, can you chime in?

Thanks a lot,
Mark

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, I've done a little more research and it looks like I'll need:

-Deity cranks
-e13 Crownwheel
-e13 Micro supercharger

...but that's not BMX drive. Is there any way to do micro drive w/ Deity cranks, an e13 micro supercharger, and a BMX chainring? Also, what BB do I need for the Deity cranks?

Thanks again!

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Find a sprocket with a bolt on grindguard. Unless you drill most bmx sprockets will not work with any sort of regular bashguard.

Macneil comes to mind. they make grind sprockets from 25t up.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll

you may come out cheaper just getting a shadow conspiracy chain and a bmx chain wheel and no bash guard. the shadow chain is pretty burly and can take a hit, or at least it has for me. pic shows a 30t, I've since installed an animal lite 28t. 13t ti cog on the rear. This combo rocks for me.

Crazy55

Chimp
Oct 14, 2005
Western PA
Here is a pick my of my USB Molly Maguire. Right now I am running 25t front 11t rear.

If your bike has a euro bb you should be able to run any BMX style cranks and sprocket

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
what gear ratio do you guys run?

i am building one up that will be used for everything. i really like the 32/16 (or 2:1) ratio, but will any 2:1 ratio work?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I run 28-13..... 25/11 is a good ratio as well. I think you can even go 22-9 depending on what kind of hub you have.

Bicyclist, here's what you do.... buy the deity cranks, make sure to get the euro bottom bracket. Also be sure to the the 19mm, 48 splined spindle. Next go to www.danscomp.com, and get the Macneil Bash chain wheel. It's a 25t chain wheel with a bash guard that will work with your deity cranks. There are also a few other options. I think Macneil is the best in terms of strength and weight. You should also be able to find an 11t cassette cog on danscomp as well. Dan's has suggested gear ratio's, however they are for 20" bmx wheels. 25-11 should work out well if you are using 24 or 26" wheels. Hope this helps.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, who makes a rear sprocket that's for BMX chains and will work with my XT rear hub fer 9 speed?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hmmm...how small do you plan on going?

why run a supercharger + a bmx chain?

i don't think you're going to find an 11t cog. you're going to be stuck going with 13, maybe a 12t, in the rear.

personally, i'd shoot for like 30/ 13, Tree sprocket and guard with a KMC Z510HX.

and as others said, Deity cranks with euro bb, 19mm.

sorry, i didn't answer your question; i don't think anyone makes 1/8" cogs. Shimano DX/ Odysseys will work, and will be super cheap. actually...they might be 1/8.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i run diety cranks with the e13 28t micro drive crownwheel and supercharger with an 12t ti cog in the back and its awesome

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
I run 30/11 on my bike.

I also reccomend that, if you are doing sprocket grinding of any sort, don't even bother using a big heavy chain. No chain holds up to 200+ lbs of bike and rider intentionally smashing in to an immovable object.

Get a guard. Run a light chain.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
phlegm said:
No chain holds up to 200+ lbs of bike and rider intentionally smashing in to an immovable object.
Wanna bet?

Wippermann 1G8, 12.8mm wide, 3,000-pound breaking strength.

Bicyclist said:
OK, who makes a rear sprocket that's for BMX chains and will work with my XT rear hub fer 9 speed?
As for your Microdive options, look into a Spot Brand Singlespeed Conversion for your hub, and a Gusset Double Six 12t cog. Both can be ordered from BTI through your local shop, and there are probably a few internet retailers that stock both. The Spot Conversion allows to setup your chainline properly and the Gusset Double Six will handle ANY BMX chain you throw on it. I believe Phlegm suggested Macneill for a small sprocket with a grind guard, which would be a great match for the Spot/Gusset setup.

haro240

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
SYDNEY
i run a 25 tooth shadow conspericy with a bash gard or grind plate which eva and a 10 tooth micro driver to good cant beat it

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So can I get the FSA Euro Pro Conversion Kit and run Primo Powerbite cranks on my DOC?

If so I'll run that w/ a BMX sprocket and a 13t Gusset cog.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well I'm gonna go the cheap route and just convert my Primos and maybe eventually go for the Deitys. I think I'm gonna run 30-13 gearing because the Primos are 180mms so I'll have the leverage to push a big gear.

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
i have run a 32x16 ratio for a while and love it. i understand its a 2:1 ratio. i am going to convert to a microdrive and am wondering would any 2:1 ratio feel the same?