Quantcast

midweek windrock action

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
have mark call "T" about riding wednesday.
i'm sure he's jonesin to get back up there.

he's off all day on wednesdays.

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
sorry about the short notice- tomorrow morning, 9:30-10:30ish. Mark is riding. Luke and DJ should be there as well. Ben? anyone?

im still in for wed afternoon too :) :) :)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hey andy.
just remember to please stay clear of the area up where they're trenching for the gas line.
i'd rather we're not even seen around there while they're working during the day.

let em get p.o.'d by all the motorized gang, not us.

i'm going to try to get up there this week sometime and see about looking for the foreman of that crew.
to see about me building a ramp out and over the trench below the bulkhead, if it's going to be awhile before they bury that stuff.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've been thrusted into, "waiting on materials" mode.

so i'll probably be able to get up there tommorrow and start the weedeating project from hell.
so if ya'll are riding, i'll be mooching rides back to the top because it's a heckuva lot easier to weedeat going downhill than uphill.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:
i've been thrusted into, "waiting on materials" mode.

so i'll probably be able to get up there tommorrow and start the weedeating project from hell.
so if ya'll are riding, i'll be mooching rides back to the top because it's a heckuva lot easier to weedeat going downhill than uphill.
You know I might headup and start weedeating the Windmill trail. It needs to be done if I want to practice on it.

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
is the windmill trail the one from the top that mark and brian built?

we had a turnout of 7 or 8 this morning! we didn't beat the heat though. i think the heat beat me actually...:hot:

wednesday still good?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
practice on it? You training to be a goat?:oink: :love:
I'm doing the Whiteface DH race in Lake Placid, NY. The course is 2500 of vert, so it makes sense to practice on 2480 feet of vert on our very own Windmill trail.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
profro said:
I'm doing the Whiteface DH race in Lake Placid, NY. The course is 2500 of vert, so it makes sense to practice on 2480 feet of vert on our very own Windmill trail.

If you sprint down to the Snack Shack that will give you the additional 20 feet of vert you're missing.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Make it a RC and a Moonpie and its a deal.

BTW, when are you getting back over here to ride? Whenever you do, I'll have to sabotage your truck's radiator so you'll have to stay a few extra days. :evil:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
Make it a RC and a Moonpie and its a deal.

BTW, when are you getting back over here to ride? Whenever you do, I'll have to sabotage your truck's radiator so you'll have to stay a few extra days. :evil:
I want to get up there hopefully next weekend.
It just depends on whether I have to do a little something else like MOVE or something like that.:)
I went to Kiawah last weekend, so I need some ride time for sure.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
profro said:
You know I might headup and start weedeating the Windmill trail. It needs to be done if I want to practice on it.
D, I did some spraying on the trail 2 weekends ago. Started @ the big powercut down to G1, then did some more below G1 so it should make things easier if you decide to take on that task. Took Joey's Boxxer bashing rock out of the way (although I think that rock did him a favor in the long run), blew the rest of last fall's leaves off the trail, and pretty much finished the reroute to the new exit onto G1 indicated by the tree limb lying across the trail. A little more bike traffic on that trail would do it good.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
I have never been up that far either. I always wanted Joey to take me up there,but I thought I would not be able to keep up. But since the race @ Snowshoe.........-JM

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
John M said:
I have never been up that far either. I always wanted Joey to take me up there,but I thought I would not be able to keep up. But since the race @ Snowshoe.........-JM
Snap!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
John M said:
feelin a little froggy are ya ?

tell ya what i'm gonne do.
i'll be your personal trail guide to the top of the mt' on your next trip.
i'll do just like i always do when ya'll show up.

show you the trailhead, drop in and from there you'll be on your own.

then the big question will be.
how long before you're saying :help: :mumble: :help: :redhot:

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
So what is the trail from the windmill like? I hear there is some climbing. But is it handcut singletrack or old fire road? Does it drop into the lower trails or does it meander its own way down?
I'm full of questions, but I want to come out and ride it. I have had the itch to get back out to the rock. I'm thinking Saturday, or even Friday night.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
tgaines72 said:
So what is the trail from the windmill like? I hear there is some climbing. But is it handcut singletrack or old fire road? Does it drop into the lower trails or does it meander its own way down?
I'm full of questions, but I want to come out and ride it. I have had the itch to get back out to the rock. I'm thinking Saturday, or even Friday night.
a few small risers.
rolling momentum will easily get you over them.
nothing even close to climbing.
(remember, this is windrock. we have standards to uphold.:))
and this is no means an easy trail either.
it is all handcut singletrack.
(refer to the aforementioned standard.)
with approx. 2500ft.+ of elevation drop.
and is open and ready for riding.

make it saturday.
that trail will be put into service much more than ever. after we finish building on our new ridge that they gave to us last fall.
work on that will begin at the end of this years riding season.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's a goat trail I tell ya....things like Yaks and marmots live on that trail. My minds eye went blind after about the 5000th yard of tire wide, off camber squiggly tread. And I'm pretty sure I saw a Bighorn slip and fall off it too!
The day we did that trail was supposed to be 1 just before we quit for day...:nonono:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
lookin like a little rain this afternoon is headin the rock's way.

that'll mean another perfect wednesday afternoon/evening session.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
holy cow.
that was quite a crowd out there tonight.

9 i believe.
not bad for a wednesday evening.
the secret's out about how good those evening sessions are.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
holy cow.
that was quite a crowd out there tonight.

9 i believe.
not bad for a wednesday evening.
the secret's out about how good those evening sessions are.
Lastnight was super chill and fun to boot. You missed a hot road gap session.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
Lastnight was super chill and fun to boot. You missed a hot road gap session.
i think i'm allergic to kudzu.
that's the only thing i attacked with the weedeater last night.
and this morning my eyes are killin me.

figures.
the most prominent vegitation in the south.
that grows at least ten ft' a day.
you should have seen our first couple of runs before ya'll got there.
you knew there was a trail there, but you darn sure couldn't see it.

Knoxvillain

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
How early is anyone planning to get there on Saturday? I am hoping to get out there before the heat gets to carried away.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
profro said:
Until you tell us who you actually are we won't answer. I mean, you could be someone who we want to avoid.... :nuts:
that's pretty funny.
but so true.:)

actually. i think we have set the hook in jeff.
now if we could just reel him in completely over to our side, it'd be great.

jeff.
i'm going to get up there early saturday(8a.m or so.)to do a little modification to the run out at the bottom of the bulkhead.
after that i'll be ready to ride.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhbuilder said:
i think i'm allergic to kudzu.
that's the only thing i attacked with the weedeater last night.
and this morning my eyes are killin me.

figures.
the most prominent vegitation in the south.
that grows at least ten ft' a day.
you should have seen our first couple of runs before ya'll got there.
you knew there was a trail there, but you darn sure couldn't see it.
hey...just read an awesome article on a company out of hendersonville area who makes a living killing that crap. They use a small hand held blow torch to burn the root ball. Kills it and never comes back....so...set the mountain on fire and you'll be set??

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Anyone know where I can rent a full spring bike? One of my riding mates doesn't have one, and needs to make the trip to the TN Mecca of ride.