Quantcast

might have to succumb to the iPod

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the iAudio doesn't support ID3 tags...which blows! and the price drops of the iPods are such that i can get a mongo 80GB for about tree-fiddy.

the only thing which sucks is the iTunes interface...adding songs to the library on a consistent basis, combined w/ the huge memory load it takes to run the app w/ over 100K songs, kinda bites.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm fighting the I-Tunes battle myself. I'm trying out Rhapsody right now and really like the pay to play setup. $15/month and unlimited songs can be downloaded to your PC and player(if you have one of many compatible players). When I pull the trigger on a large storage player I will probably get most compatible with 3rd party dowloading services.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i love my ipod. . . when it works

but i'm on my 3rd warranty ipod because of a series of unexplained self destructions. the apple people didn't seem all that surprised, and it was pretty easy to get a new unit, but this makes me believe that these things die all the time. reloading 20 gigs of music off 3 different computers is also a pain in the arse. when my warranty is up and this thing dies again, i'm gonna look for something more durable i think.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
the iAudio doesn't support ID3 tags...which blows! and the price drops of the iPods are such that i can get a mongo 80GB for about tree-fiddy.

the only thing which sucks is the iTunes interface...adding songs to the library on a consistent basis, combined w/ the huge memory load it takes to run the app w/ over 100K songs, kinda bites.
You don't have to use itunes. Anapod explorer works great. It basically lays on top on Windows explorer. I've used it for years with no problems. It has an autosync and you don't have to "add" files to a library you just tell it which folders to sync with the IPOD and that's it.

If you do download music with Itunes you have to sync your Ipod one time to get those files to go over BUT after that you can use anapod for those and any future downloads.

I've just been using itunes with the shuffle.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I want to be different, like everybody else I want to be like
I want to be just like all the different people
I have no further interest in being the same,
because I have seen difference all around,
and now I know that that's what I want
I don't want to blend in and be indistinguishable,
I want to be a part of the different crowd,
and assert my individuality along with the others
who are different like me
I don't want to be identical to anyone or anything
I don't even want to be identical to myself
I want to look in the mirror and wonder,
"who is that person? I've never seen that person before;
I've never seen anyone like that before."
I want to call into question thevery idea that
identity can be attached
I want a floating, shifting, ever changing persona:
Invisibility and obscurity,
detachment from the ego and all of it's pursuits.
Unity is useless
Comformity is competitive and divisive and leads only to
stagnation and death.
If what I'm saying doesn't make any sense,
that's because sense can not be made
It's something that must be sensed
And I, for one, am incensed by all this complacency
Why oppose war only when there's a war?
Why defend the clinics only when they're attacked?
Why are we always reactive?
Let's activate something
Let's #$&% #$&% up
Whatever happened to revolution for the hell of it?
Whatever happened to protesting nothing in particular, just
protesting cause it's Saturday and there's nothing else to do

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'd heard of anapod, bought some Red Chair crap software for my Rio and hated it. waste of $25. maybe the anapod is better?

n8, it's not a case of not knowing how to use iTunes...my problems are:

1 - i get a lot of new music, and i have to add these directly to iTunes which is a tedious, repetitive job. if i had a Windows Explorer-type interface, i could get to the new stuff directly.

2 - have you ever run iTunes w/ 100,000 songs in it? it eats up about 400K of my memory, and bogs the whole thing down. no thanks.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I just drag and drop into Itunes when i DL it, it ads to it's own database (doesn't have to, but i prefer this way). Is this what you mean by adding directly to itunes? Then I have my ipod set to just add everything new until it's full, no making of playlists.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
i'd heard of anapod, bought some Red Chair crap software for my Rio and hated it. waste of $25. maybe the anapod is better?

n8, it's not a case of not knowing how to use iTunes...my problems are:

1 - i get a lot of new music, and i have to add these directly to iTunes which is a tedious, repetitive job. if i had a Windows Explorer-type interface, i could get to the new stuff directly.

2 - have you ever run iTunes w/ 100,000 songs in it? it eats up about 400K of my memory, and bogs the whole thing down. no thanks.
I've never used it for anything else but it has worked just fine for the Ipod.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I just drag and drop into Itunes when i DL it, it ads to it's own database (doesn't have to, but i prefer this way). Is this what you mean by adding directly to itunes? Then I have my ipod set to just add everything new until it's full, no making of playlists.
you must understand my anal workflow and mass of data which floods (torrents?) in on a routine basis, enough to fill a DVD or two of mp3s each month.

1 - rip a cd or download
2 - move to folder for correct tagging, file naming and directory name convention (artist - [date] album)
3 - move to other folder for burning
4 - move to 'burned' folder
5 - move to specific genre folder, which could reside on one of 4 hard drives.

since the links iTunes makes to an imported song don't go forward if you move that file, i need to add a step 6, and i've got 100 new directories spread out over 10 genres on 4 hard drives, you can see how it rapidly turns into a pain in the arse.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
you must understand my anal workflow and mass of data which floods (torrents?) in on a routine basis, enough to fill a DVD or two of mp3s each month.

1 - rip a cd or download
2 - move to folder for correct tagging, file naming and directory name convention (artist - [date] album)

since the links iTunes makes to an imported song don't go forward if you move that file, i need to add a step 6, and i've got 100 new directories spread out over 10 genres on 4 hard drives, you can see how it rapidly turns into a pain in the arse.
Do what I do.

Stop listening to so much damn music.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I want to be different, like everybody else I want to be like
I want to be just like all the different people
I have no further interest in being the same,
because I have seen difference all around,
and now I know that that's what I want
I don't want to blend in and be indistinguishable,
I want to be a part of the different crowd,
and assert my individuality along with the others
who are different like me
I don't want to be identical to anyone or anything
I don't even want to be identical to myself
I want to look in the mirror and wonder,
"who is that person? I've never seen that person before;
I've never seen anyone like that before."
I want to call into question thevery idea that
identity can be attached
I want a floating, shifting, ever changing persona:
Invisibility and obscurity,
detachment from the ego and all of it's pursuits.
Unity is useless
Comformity is competitive and divisive and leads only to
stagnation and death.
If what I'm saying doesn't make any sense,
that's because sense can not be made
It's something that must be sensed
And I, for one, am incensed by all this complacency
Why oppose war only when there's a war?
Why defend the clinics only when they're attacked?
Why are we always reactive?
Let's activate something
Let's #$&% #$&% up
Whatever happened to revolution for the hell of it?
Whatever happened to protesting nothing in particular, just
protesting cause it's Saturday and there's nothing else to do

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :shocked:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

1 - rip a cd or download

So any apps actually have a relational DB that follows files when you move them? I know i had to add files manually to winamp and such as well. The only one I can think of doing this is perhaps windows media player?

Also, you have too much music.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I don't understand the whole i-pod movement- I believe they just marketed their product better because from what I know it offers no advantages. My biggest scare is how IPOD software locks up the music (in a proprietary MP4 right?) so you can't copy it like an MP3. Why not just get an MP3 player?? Memory is getting cheaper everyday, so an 80 megabite MP3 player must be cheaper than an IPOD......and you can share the music.

Of course I still use a 2000 version of music jukebox and old radio shack mp3 player, which can scan my drives and add any/all MP3's without any manual additions. Surely there has to be something better than i-pod that just isn't marketed as well, especially for 300bucks.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't understand the whole i-pod movement- I believe they just marketed their product better because from what I know it offers no advantages. My biggest scare is how IPOD software locks up the music (in a proprietary MP4 right?) so you can't copy it like an MP3. Why not just get an MP3 player?? Memory is getting cheaper everyday, so an 80 megabite MP3 player must be cheaper than an IPOD......and you can share the music.

Of course I still use a 2000 version of music jukebox and old radio shack mp3 player, which can scan my drives and add any/all MP3's without any manual additions. Surely there has to be something better than i-pod that just isn't marketed as well, especially for 300bucks.
You are misinformed. AAC files (apple's format of choice) is only locked and DRMed with files downloaded from Itunes. Any other file on the ipod is good to go, even AACs that are user created etc. AAC is simply apple's version of wma, basically.

The ipod's big advantage is the nav system, not marketing.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
You are misinformed. AAC files (apple's format of choice) is only locked and DRMed with files downloaded from Itunes. Any other file on the ipod is good to go, even AACs that are user created etc. AAC is simply apple's version of wma, basically.

The I pod is much easier to navigate than my Creative ZEN was. It's has a lot less of a tendency to skip, the Ipod buffers as much as 30 minutes of music. Many other players hard disk based players don't buffer at all. The my Zen was horrible in the gym, and constantly has problems with song indices. It also corrupted songs.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004

Not to mention you can rip and play MP3's with Itunes/Ipod

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle

Check out the Bones Over Metal Podcast when you get your iPod. :spam:

But seriously subscibe and we'll get you some good mountain bike content. Peace!

D

d-sop

i love my ipod. . . when it works

but i'm on my 3rd warranty ipod because of a series of unexplained self destructions. the apple people didn't seem all that surprised, and it was pretty easy to get a new unit, but this makes me believe that these things die all the time. reloading 20 gigs of music off 3 different computers is also a pain in the arse. when my warranty is up and this thing dies again, i'm gonna look for something more durable i think.
i went through 8. it was eventually found out to be my cord, shorting out each ipod. for transferring music b/w computers look up ourtunes on google. seamless, easy, etc.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I can either buy an ipod or buy 350 dollars worth of cd's, gee I wonder what I will choose.
CDs are for losers, vinyl is where it's at. I download all mjy muic that's on the iPod and then it it's good I'll buy the record (when available) and play that in the house.

My main reason for loving the iPod is that my car has a 6 disc chnager, my iPod have 12 gigs of music on it so when I go on a road trip I don't have to pull over and change-up the music selection. You could do the same thing with any other mp3 player, but I like the navigation wheel on the iPod, and that iTunes and the Ipod have the exact same interface. There also isn't very much out there at the sam price that holds as much data, and is a useable shape and size.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I can't disagree vinyl rocks. I will admit I would consider getting an ipod just to use it in the car though. I only have a tape deck (that eats tapes) so a reprive from the radio would be nice. I just can't justify the cost though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
So any apps actually have a relational DB that follows files when you move them? I know i had to add files manually to winamp and such as well. The only one I can think of doing this is perhaps windows media player?
no, but using windows explorer to drag/drop music onto an mp3 player is far easier and less overhead on my machine than constantly running iTunes.

Also, you have too much music.
i needed some way to keep up w/ yr Oakley fetish.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I've also recently been sucked in by the 8gb Nano IIs. I'm also trying Yamipod. Much less complex and very upfront. The sound is pretty damn good w/ 320kbs...
320??? why not use VBR @ APX or V2 or whatever preset highest value is now? smaller files, just as sound.

how is yamipod working out? any freezes or crashes?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yamipod seems to be fine w/ me, no freeze or crashes. But then, I don't edit 8gbs that often; I've used it twice. Best thing about it is it's not iTunes which I found incredibly confusing and hard to work w/. Yamipod also allows me to edit tags easily so it'll display correct info on the LCD. I'm sure iTunes has this too, but I refuse to waste any more time figuring out that crappy program. The only thing is you'll just have to use the USB disconnect in the SysTray to disconnect instead of the button in iTunes.

Yeah, the 320 was meant only as figurative, implying hi bit rates. Actually, anything from 192 on up...typically hovering around 224 or 256 in VBR. When I bring things back from .flac, I'll use 320 static. But then, I can just delete when I'm done since the .flac original is still around. I wish the Nano can play .flacs... Maybe they'll include it in future firmware updates. If they do, then I'll step up and get a pair of those really nice ear-buds.