Quantcast

Minaar's fork

Sep 29, 2004
On Minaar's rig (the honda) i beleive the fork is called a showa, am i right or wrong, and if so what can y'all tell me aobut showa forks

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
yes they are showa forks,they are very exclusive and you will never get a set.they also make forks for moto x bikes

Sep 29, 2004
never wanted a set, but good to see we're an optimistic people. just thoougt itd be interesting to learn more about them

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
They probably have super-duper, helium filled internals that are made of space-age materials that will adjust the high/low speed compression and rebound damping, as well as medium speed damping characteristics based on climate, type of race course, humidity, planetary alignment, what you ate for breakfast and whether you had sex the night before.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
ChrisRobin said:
They probably have super-duper, helium filled internals that are made of space-age materials that will adjust the high/low speed compression and rebound damping, as well as medium speed damping characteristics based on climate, type of race course, humidity, planetary alignment, what you ate for breakfast and whether you had sex the night before.
pshhh according to pinkbike the monster can do all that....why would i want some showa fork :rolleyes:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
arent they big moto dudes? seems that "factory connection" makes most of the moto tubes and then u fill em with your own choice of internals. from my little understanding of that genre of 2 wheeled bbbrraawwwwppp.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
well, you might possibly get something close. I know of a company that is working with 2 showa-japan engineers on a damping system...

koffee

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
showa ia actually a subdivision of Honda. They have been making motorcycle forks for a while. They also sell their forks to other manufacturers. My Ducati came with Showa forks, and they worked decent.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
So is this the production model of the Honda g-box bike??? A little derailleur shifting gears in the frame as opposed to the rear???

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
ChrisRobin said:
So is this the production model of the Honda g-box bike??? A little derailleur shifting gears in the frame as opposed to the rear???
Who knows about a production model, but its definitely what the prototype was.

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
ChrisRobin said:
hahaha and there will be a big press release and a magazine layout about it, and then a couple months later we will find out on the Honda website that the whole time it was really just a Monster T with different decals. :D :D :D

Serioulsly though, I bet that SHOWA fork is super sweet. I'd love to take it for a spin.

Dave

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dw said:
hahaha and there will be a big press release and a magazine layout about it, and then a couple months later we will find out on the Honda website that the whole time it was really just a Monster T with different decals. :D :D :D
Ooh, BURN.

So, aside from the fact that it appears Minaar was racing on the derailleur-in-a-box, was it ever confirmed whether or not Honda ever had a real working prototype of the CVT? I mean, considering that the patent was filed, I'm sure it existed in a lab somewhere, but did it ever get raced?

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
binary visions said:
Ooh, BURN.

So, aside from the fact that it appears Minaar was racing on the derailleur-in-a-box, was it ever confirmed whether or not Honda ever had a real working prototype of the CVT? I mean, considering that the patent was filed, I'm sure it existed in a lab somewhere, but did it ever get raced?
apparently yes.
The first times the bike was seen, it reportedly didn't have a shifter, neither did it have a cable running into the housing. Some people said they saw the chain still running after Greg dismounted off the bike. So you can conclude that there must'e been something out there. Or is this the Area 51 of mountainbike gear systems?

It could make sense: if testing resulted in a heavier system, a decrease in reliability or mechanical efficiency. Remember that a chain system like we know it has an efficiency rate of 98+ %. This means that out of the 100% power you produce at the crankshaft, 98% at least makes it to the rear axle through the transmission system. Maybe the cvt only produced a rate of 90%. This would be unacceptable for racing.

you can hate deraillers with your guts, given the cost there are hardly any better and more effective systems imaginable.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I would bet those Showa forks are pretty nice, too. For the last few years Showa has been winning all the MX shoot outs in the fork category. Sadly, the WP forks on my KTM are considered some of the worst. Oh well, if I don't get killed my arms will be really strong by the DH season. :p

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
mack said:
arent they big moto dudes? seems that "factory connection" makes most of the moto tubes and then u fill em with your own choice of internals. from my little understanding of that genre of 2 wheeled bbbrraawwwwppp.
Every fork that comes on a stock honda mx/offroad bike is made by showa. I think you have the other part mixed up, though. Factory Connection does suspension tuning, not manufacturing. You send your fork and shock to them along with your weight/riding style/terrain and they tune for you.

To the person with that brooklyn, are those CR80 forks?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Showa...whoopy doo. i've got 3 showas in my apartment. all work, too. extremely well. fully tunable, can be customized completely for whoever uses it. the showa technician can hardly speak english, though. actually, i'm gonna go give my showa a whirl right now. i'll post some action pics of me using it.

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Sir Happypants said:
On Minaar's rig (the honda) i beleive the fork is called a showa, am i right or wrong, and if so what can y'all tell me aobut showa forks
Showa is quite a high end fork maker(not as high as Ohlins) they make forks for road motorbikes and some for moto x...

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
the Inbred said:
Showa...whoopy doo. i've got 3 showas in my apartment. all work, too. extremely well. fully tunable, can be customized completely for whoever uses it. the showa technician can hardly speak english, though. actually, i'm gonna go give my showa a whirl right now. i'll post some action pics of me using it.
So any of your showas have an open bath?
Ha! :o: :o: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: