Quantcast

Minersville R.I.P.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm gonna post some things up on here about it shortly. Right now I'm a bit too heartbroken to do so. The place has been very good and, at times, very bad for me, and it's very hard to deal with the loss. I went out and walked around there today... It's like a knife in the back.

Chad,

Proud Mville local, ten years running.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
Damn! I've never been there but I've seen so many pictures of that place on the net and in magazines. I think Decline even had an article on it a few months back but they didn't give the location or the state they were in. They just said they were the best trails they had ever been to and everone was cool with them even though they didn't know anybody. It looks like a ton of hard work went into that place. I hate to hear it's gone.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
damn, im really sorry guys, 100 sets of doubles too! hopefully you can start up a new project, because thats just bad guys, best regards

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Chad and other Minersville's locals: I'm very sorry for the loss of your trails. I somewhat knows what it feels like with our original spot getting plowed back in '01 - like you said "knife in the back feeling" for sure. From what I've heard and seen that place was on a whole 'nother level.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Devastating news. The write-up on that website desribes the significance of that area well. The question is how a land owner can protect themselves from liability? In Oregon, it's been explained to me that a sort of "ride at our own risk" law exists which has enabled the high number of public skateparks to exist in this state. Any lawyers reading this who can back this up?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
whats the reason for the dozing ? This kind of stuff pisses me off to no end.
read the link! some kid got knocked out and his parents sued the land owners.

reading that bums me out! i've never heard of the place, but from the couple pics it looks like some people really put some blood and sweat into it. I hate to see the loss of such a treasure. :disgust:

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Unreal, what a loss. Sorry to hear it came to that. I could write much more, but its been said a 100 times before about 100 more bulldozed DJ's.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Devastating news. The write-up on that website desribes the significance of that area well. The question is how a land owner can protect themselves from liability? In Oregon, it's been explained to me that a sort of "ride at our own risk" law exists which has enabled the high number of public skateparks to exist in this state. Any lawyers reading this who can back this up?
Yeah, it's called a Recreational Use Statute. Dunno if there was one in PA, but that's the term.

Sorry to hear about the trails. Looked like a cool place.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Son of a be-atch, I just lost a relatively long winded post, and I'm not even sure how! Rather than re-write everything again, I'll just say thanks to you all, and as Boxxer said, it's happened hundreds of times before. Heck, it's happened to me personally three times now, but this time it was different.

I'll post up some additional photos, but until then I'll leave you with this really cool message from our friend Zig. I find his word profound. Take from it what you may:

Well. A shudder was felt throughout the BMX community yesterday, especially for those who grew up behind the bars here in Pennsylvania. Minersville trails are gone. Its the day after and I can feel my anger growing. Not at a faceless kid who precipitated the end, not at the opportunist parents lying in wait - I do not know them and they are not worth a minute of my thoughts. My anger is focused on the injustices we're all accustomed to. Every day beautiful things are destroyed as a result of many motivations whether they be greed, jealousy, or shear ignorance. What was beautiful about Minersville extended far beyond dirt, rocks, and trees. Its beauty was embodied in the sheer effort, fortitude, passion, ingenuity, and intelligence it required to construct. I'm proud to call Shawn a friend, along with everyone else who understood and took part in what existed there. Although relocation, flatland and other things kept me from being a local, its existence championed the ideals I've always believed in and with good friends at the helm I knew it was in the best hands. Over the last couple of years, I watched Shawn and the rest of my friends gain some of the respect they deserve. My hope now is that we all learn from the example set. That we learn to not just posess our passions, but act upon them. Maybe its not enough to love something like BMX, but maybe its our duty to honor it by doing something, even if its in a personal way. Perhaps its the only true way we have to fight back - by creating more beautiful things than others can destroy.

These observations may seem overly dramatic to some but few things are more personal to me than my friends and my love of BMX.

Lets go create something beautiful.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Craig has more style and skill than all but about two or three guys that I've ever seen ride... and I've seen more than enough come thru here.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Two dudes with the same first name, spelled differently. Doyle and Bennett thru 'thunder' on Sunday. Probably the last guys to hit this section...

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks for postin' some pics trust. I was going to ask if you had some. Were'nt there some clips of Minersville in Shadow Conspricy's "The Calling"?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
I just have to throw in a few words here as well,
I have never (and I hate to be pesimistic here) and probably ever will
see or ride at a better place than Minersville PA. My first day riding there happened 3 years ago and since then it's been the place I
wanted to be every time I was on my bike. I deffinetly do not have as many memories as Chad and some of the other locals, but I am carrying some visuals in my mind that will be there for a long time. The pics that are being posted look badass, but of course a photo never really does 100% justice. If you were lucky enough to ever ride there, you will then only know how badass it really was. I shed a tear not because of my selfish thought of not riding there anymore, but because the thought of all the Pride, Love and Dedication for those trails there really was.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
terrible news. so sorry for the loss.

it's unfortunate there doesn't seem to be a way to measure the tremendous benefit dirt jumps serve the kids (and adults!) on so many levels. surely the positivity this spot provided for a countless number of people should have outweighed this one kid's misfortune.

sadness.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
really sorry about the loss. i had never visited, but i can imagine how i would feel if we lost our trails. honestly, it would be like losing a family member.

anyone recall what issue of decline those were in? i've glanced through a bunch but can't seem to find 'em.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Two dudes with the same first name, spelled differently. Doyle and Bennett thru 'thunder' on Sunday. Probably the last guys to hit this section...
[/IMG]

i found this pic? same place?
THUNDER.

man, i aaate if for you guys, i aaate lawyers, and i aaate dozers.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
jeeeez, those are some amazing pictures! At the very least, I'm sure Bennet and Doyle rode that Thunder run good enough for a proper good-bye.

Apr 27, 2012
No more worries they are back and they are running and the new trails are really good to tigh for the mountain bike, but cool runs and the old ones are there just need to repack and coat them