Quantcast

Mini DH bike thread.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I thought there was one running, but couldn't find it. I've noticed a lot of wee bikes posted in the 40lb DH thread, and thought they could do with their own Mini DH/Trail bike/Slope style thread. I'd also like to see some fresh ideas.
Requirements are sub 7.5" rear travel, and non XC geo.
Here's my trail/XC/mini DH hack.

Hovering around 14kg.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Corsair Marque. As pictured with the Lyrik the HA is 66° and the BB is 13.4. 130mm rear travel.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Large Intense SS Raw. with DHX 5.0.
Fox 36 Float RC2.
Diabolus bars with Thompson X4 50mm
Cane Creek Double XC II flush.
Hadley Hubs (red) laced to Mavic 823's.
Kenda Nevegal UST 2.35 tires.
Shimano XT cranks 170 with Gamut P30. (Thanks Juan.)
Atomlab Aircorp pedals.
XTR cassette.
Sram XO mid alloy cage (older, but better IMO).
X9 shifter.
Saint brakes.
SDG I-beam micro post with Formula FX seat.

35lbs. on the money. Lots of fun...

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Obligatory, although I no longer own it. The TT was just a bit short, and I think that the 36 was way outperformed by the CCDB. I think in a size Large for me (6' 1") and with either a Totem or a lowered Boxxer, this bike would have really come into its own.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Requirements are sub 7.5" rear travel, and non XC geo.
I don't really get how that's mini-DH?

Mini DH to me would be sub 6" travel with DH geometry. some All-mountain XC bikes have 7"+ travel these days and IMO they're not mini-DH bikes :disgust1:

anyway My old Skool SX enduro..

Built this up from mainly old parts I had kicking around with the intention of using it as a mini DH bike that's easier to push (or even ride) up local DH tracks but just as fast as my DH bike down... Let's just say I wasn't dissapointed ;)

Spec

65deg HA, 12.6" BB, 43.75 WB, 4.5" rear travel, 5.5" front

2002 (Large) Specialized Enduro SX Supercross (1.75" Fox Vanilla R 800lb steel spring)
2005 Pike SL (X-firm spring fixed at 140mm)
Easton EA50 Bars (uncut)
ODI Ruffian Lock-ons
Brand-X 40mm CNC DH stem
FSA Pig Headset (well, two of them actually)
Giant OEM Seatpost -cut just long enough to raise for pedalling up
selle italia SRXC saddle
generic QR seatclamp
Superstar components ISIS BB (larger bearings)
2004 Truvativ Holzfeller ISIS 170mm cranks
FSA 38T DH ring
MRP Type 3 Guide
Cheap (HG50?) 8 speed 11-28 Shimano cassette
8 speed KMC Z chain
XT Shadow Med Cage R Mech
SRAM Attack 8 speed shifter
Avid Juicy 5s - 203mm front, 185 rear
Hope Bulb 20mm front hub DT Comp spokes 32h Mavic D521
Shimano Deore rear hub (converted to solid nutted cromo 10mm axle) DT Comp spokes 32h Mavic EX721
Single ply minion 2.35 front
Michelin comp 24 2.1 rear
XC tubes.
cheap wellgo loose ballbearing DX style BMX pedals

~37lb

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I don't really get how that's mini-DH?

Mini DH to me would be sub 6" travel with DH geometry. some All-mountain XC bikes have 7"+ travel these days and IMO they're not mini-DH bikes :disgust1:
Just semantics. Can't please everyone.
A Reign XO, or Specialized SX Trail with single crowns, doesn't class as a full bore DH bike to me. Anything with single crowns doesn't make the grade in my eyes, so I was just making a thread that covered them also, all the way down to 4" crossers, and hardtails built for DH. Didn't want to make it so people winged if someone posted a 7" single crowned slop style slayer.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
so, what's that in your eyes?
DH bike with singles, does this need to turn into a debate?
I don't think those forks will not last over two seasons of proper DH. I'd say a season, but would rather keep it less debatable. Same goes for the frame running them. Single crowns must sacrifice travel, ride height, or stiffness compared to an equivalent triple. This is just my opinion, if you wanna buy into the hype/marketing of a perishable item with no performance gain for DH, then go right ahead.

Last edited:

verticult

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
It's not what you wanted but interesting anyway. Built around '01 it features 19" wheels with cut 2.5" trials tires, RST mozo fork, risse damper, early hayes brakes with razorrock levers, goodridge lines etc. The cranks are 145mm stylos (modified) hugi hubs, thompson post, easton bars etc. the thing has been sitting for several years. The saddle, as bizaar as it is was fashionable at the time.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I agree with Gary. A "Mini DH" should be mini. 7.5" of travel is only 1/2"/12mm less than a lot of full DH bikes. That hardly makes it mini. I started a new DH class for our UT DH series. We are calling it "Stock Bike" and it is limited to 160mm of travel front and rear. However, we are allowing up to 170mm of travel for the bike to make sure that the Nomad and Reign X qualify.

In our series we usually run best of two runs to determine the winner, but for stock bike we will combine two runs to emphasize riding consistently instead of over the edge. We will also attempt to route around the 1 or 2 most dangerous obstacles if possible. Basically, we want every Nomad, Reign, 575, etc to want to come out and race.

Oh yeah, at the momment my "mini dh" is a Commecal Mini DH. Very fun bike to ride. I'll have to get some pics up. I'm running an older 66 (35mm legs) set at 160mm of travel, a Roco Air TST shock and a single ring guide.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
this thread made me realize that i don't have any new pics of my bottlerocket. just this one from a race in '07.

'07 BR w/ Fox VANR
'07 66 set at 160mm
SRAM XO/X9
Juicy 7's with steel lines and Straitline levers
Transition 36 wheels
Sunline bar/stem
FUNN seat

it comes in around 37lb when i have the xc tires on it for trail riding and about 39lbs for the DH race season.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
changed a few bits since i took this...new seat, new tires...41lbs w/ new parts

damn, that foes frame makes the zocchi fork look small!

please people, lets no debate about what is or what isnt a small dh bike and keep the pictures coming, they've all worked for me! hehe

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
damn, that foes frame makes the zocchi fork look small!
yeah, you would think the frame would be small w/ its specs, but it feel great and pretty close to my DHS.
its quicker and more livelier than my DHS too which is great....and its 7lbs lighter!